Can You Vtec A B20b?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Pstevens

I have a 90intg. with a B20b. i want more power like a vtec. can it be done because i read that you can't vtec a b20b. also if i cant vtec it can i put a different head like a ls head, but will it give me more power? :blink:

You can install a VTEC head on the B20b, we have a good article about it in our FAQ. Check it out first then come back with any specific questions and we will help you go from there.

Try www.b20vtec.com , this guy is very knowledgeable on b20 vtec's. He also knows the in and outs on how to properly build one and make it last.

So am i better off mybe puting a turbo or supercharge so that i dont have to worry about all that stuff for a vtec. it seem like to much to worry about. i thought my be i can just buy a vtec head and put it on or can i?

There are some who say the valves will clear without notching the pistons or buying new ones but as usuall
it is a gamble...stop buy the b20vtec web sight and ask him. I have a non-vtec b20 and have no problem with most vtec cars including my friends b16a CRX.

If i put a ls head would i get more power. or is it the same from a b20b head. because the ls head would bolt right on. i think?

pretty much all b series heads are the same (Im sure this applies to h,k,and d series heads too) With that in mind, the one you'll wanna go with is the b16a head as it is the least expensive. I dont see any point in putting an LS head on. If your that concerned with how your head runs, get a port and polish. Its not all that hard to modify a b20 for a b16 head. All it requires is dowel relocation, external oil lines, and wiring for VTEC. I couldnt tell you how much it costs, but check out thus site as well as the others listed. Their all pretty good resources. Its deffinately worth doing, as you'll realize gains of around 40 horsepower.

All B series heads are NOT pretty much the same... but the B20 and B18A/B units are. Just change out the intake manifold to an LS unit (B18B) so it fits under your hood. If you want to see real proof of a B20/VTEC, go hit my site- it's linked in my sig.

:werd:
You want goals to aspire to, that B20VTEC either was really cool, or Calesta can bench race like non other. :)

Seriously, his build was a great model for how to do it right.

What cams were you running?

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 7 2003, 08:56 PM
You want goals to aspire to, that B20VTEC either was really cool, or Calesta can bench race like non other. :)

Seriously, his build was a great model for how to do it right.

Thanks. The new build is even more "right". I think I could be one hell of a bench racer though... but racing for real is more fun. :lol:

All B series heads are NOT pretty much the same... but the B20 and B18A/B units are.

Its a matter of perception. Besides the B20 and B18A/B being similar, theres the fact that b16 and b18 heads flow practicly the same (not so clear on head archetecture). Then theres the subtle (<---- sp?) differences between b18C and the C5. I'm not sure about the rare motors like the b17 and the many b16 variants. However I think the qualifies as 'pretty much all...' It doesn't really matter because the point is that a b20 can most deffinately accept a VTEC head, that is with some modification.

Pstevens-Look a little, you'll be suprised how much info you'll find.

Originally posted by timEspeed@Feb 8 2003, 12:59 AM
Its a matter of perception. Besides the B20 and B18A/B being similar, theres the fact that b16 and b18 heads flow practicly the same (not so clear on head archetecture). Then theres the subtle (<---- sp?) differences between b18C and the C5. I'm not sure about the rare motors like the b17 and the many b16 variants. However I think the qualifies as 'pretty much all...' It doesn't really matter because the point is that a b20 can most deffinately accept a VTEC head, that is with some modification.

Pstevens-Look a little, you'll be suprised how much info you'll find.

Noooooooooo.............

The B20B/Z and B18A/B use essentially the same head, since they're really the same engine except for bore, pistons, sleeve design, and intake manifold. The B16A head flows similar to the B18C (non-R) head, but lacks dual intake manifold runners that switch via a butterfly valve at different rpms. The B18C and B18C5 heads are completely different- B18C (non-R) head has the dual intake runners, and the B18C5 head is a B16A head with a light port and polish. The B17 uses a head almost the same as the B16A head. Architecturally, you really have three types: the B18/B20 non-VTEC head, the B16A/B16B/B17A/B18C5 single intake manifold runner VTEC head, and the B18C (non-R) dual intake manifold runner VTEC head. They're all very different, and the VTEC heads definitely flow better than the non-VTEC heads.

The combustion chamber in the B18C head is smaller than the B16/17/18C5 head.

Back