Celesta, and anyone else...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

How would you compare the speakers from jl audio, kicker, and infinity? The only ones I have been able to listen to for myself were the infinities, and I liked them a lot. I took back my Sony's and have decided to get some higher quality 6 1/2" and 6x9's.

Good decision on the Sony thing. I had a set of 4x6 and 4x9 infinity speakers in my old S-10. I ran a LOT of power through them. I heard them pop from overpowering them. Trust me when I say I was WAY past the power rating for them, and they sounded mint.

Alpine Deck, Rockford Fosgate 1300 watt continuous amp(325 per channel @ 4ohms), infinity speakers, and two 15" Kicker subs. I miss that system.

I have some polk audio db650 ready to install, when I do , then I'll let you know how they sound in my car.
The demo in the store sounded really nice and calesta has said that polks are good.

JL and Infinity are both excellent- stay away from the Kickers though, unless they've made some changes in the past few years. I've never really been impressed with their speakers.

Polks are pretty good if you get the higher end ones. I have an old set of dx6 speakers in my Civic, and they have pretty flat response from 200Hz on up to 20k. The coax speakers have built in true crossovers like most good component (separate) speakers have, so that helps quite a bit too. It's too bad that you can't buy those speakers anymore. If I have enough cash to overhaul the entire stereo system, I'm custom mounting some good separates up front and just throwing some 6x9 mids in the rear for backfill.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 2 2005, 03:56 AM
infinity kappa, mb quartz, or apline type R is the way to go IMO.
[post=440041]Quoted post[/post]​

werd yO! i have mb quartz components up front, pioneer 3 ways in the back and one 10 inch type-r for a sunwoofer and it sounds awesome.

pioneer speakers fucking blow. stock speakers sound better IMO.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 2 2005, 06:26 PM
pioneer speakers fucking blow. stock speakers sound better IMO.
[post=440220]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe when you're drunk or something. Every pioneer speaker i've had have sounded way better than any stock system.

I have infinity Kappa's and kappa perfects in my car, and they are awesome! Best bang for the buck IMO.

If you want the best, then there is only one choice.....

Eclipse by Fujitsu-ten.

These are, by far, the absolute best car audio speakers out there. Better than Infinity, better than Mb Quartz, better than Polk, better than Kicker, better than JL, although all of these companies make a great product.

Their source speakers are the cleanest and their woofers are truly designed to make the Highest SPL without sacrificing sound quality.

If you can afford them, then go for it.

and Calesta, Kicker midrange speakers have always been fantastic, but you have to overpower them a bit to get them to move. People who hook up a set of 6"s with a 1" component to their deck and expect it to sound good wont get the desired result from these speakers. In my experiences with Kicker, I over-powered them by about 10w RMS and only then did they start to shine....some of the better midrange speakers I've heard (although a tad tinny sounding for my liking).

i had a pair of eclipse 4-way 6x9's in my z24 back in the day. they were wicked loud and could take a lot of power, but they just didin't "sound" as good to me as the infiniti's do.

but, to each his own.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 3 2005, 12:33 PM
i had a pair of eclipse 4-way 6x9's in my z24 back in the day. they were wicked loud and could take a lot of power, but they just didin't "sound" as good to me as the infiniti's do.

but, to each his own.
[post=440485]Quoted post[/post]​

True....what's the best to one, is not always the best to another.
:p

Originally posted by adnoh@Jan 3 2005, 11:14 AM

Eclipse by Fujitsu-ten.

These are, by far, the absolute best car audio speakers out there. Better than Infinity, better than Mb Quartz, better than Polk, better than Kicker, better than JL, although all of these companies make a great product.

Their source speakers are the cleanest and their woofers are truly designed to make the Highest SPL without sacrificing sound quality.

and Calesta, Kicker midrange speakers have always been fantastic, but you have to overpower them a bit to get them to move. People who hook up a set of 6"s with a 1" component to their deck and expect it to sound good wont get the desired result from these speakers. In my experiences with Kicker, I over-powered them by about 10w RMS and only then did they start to shine....some of the better midrange speakers I've heard (although a tad tinny sounding for my liking).
[post=440481]Quoted post[/post]​

Eclipse does make damn good stuff. My 5 channel amp is from Eclipse, and it's clean. I need more power though.

The "tinny" sound is what I'm talking about. I've just never been impressed with Kicker's stuff. Their older subs are great- but that was a while back.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jan 3 2005, 03:51 PM-->
@Jan 3 2005, 11:14 AM

Eclipse by Fujitsu-ten.

These are, by far, the absolute best car audio speakers out there.  Better than Infinity, better than Mb Quartz, better than Polk, better than Kicker, better than JL, although all of these companies make a great product. 

and Calesta, Kicker midrange speakers have always been fantastic, but you have to overpower them a bit to get them to move.  People who hook up a set of 6"s with a 1" component to their deck and expect it to sound good wont get the desired result from these speakers.  In my experiences with Kicker, I over-powered them by about 10w RMS and only then did they start to shine....some of the better midrange speakers I've heard (although a tad tinny sounding for my liking).
[post=440481]Quoted post[/post]​

Eclipse does make damn good stuff. My 5 channel amp is from Eclipse, and it's clean. I need more power though.

The "tinny" sound is what I'm talking about. I've just never been impressed with Kicker's stuff. Their older subs are great- but that was a while back.
[post=440584]Quoted post[/post]​

Ya, no kidding...I had an old set of Kicker Impulse 10"s and they kicked ass...that was about 5 years ago......They put all their effort into the solo-baric woofers and left the rest behind. It's too bad, they were a great speaker for the price....

For anyone who wants to check out Eclipse stuff.......
Eclipse Homepage

Oh well, not everyone can be good 100% of the time. :)

precision power. thats what i have and they kick ass, i listened to them in the store and compared them to jl and kickers along with infinnitis.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 3 2005, 05:22 PM
Oh well, not everyone can be good 100% of the time.  :)
[post=440621]Quoted post[/post]​

.....Tell that to my girlfriend......

I like Eclipse Radios.. I hate their Amps.. There 5 Channel is a nice amp on a Budget and I built many systems using that amp as the mainthing to power everything.. But I have a Eclipse In Dash Tv and I love it.. No problems at all..

Their Line Source speakers do sound real good but cost a fortune.. Their Point Source series are also a good speaker but to me they are way too harsh for my listening..

Personally for the money I like the JL TR series if you have no amplifier or the XR series if you do have a Amp..

Biggest thing is don't buy $700 speakers then amplify them with crap and expect them to sound good.. I have seen alot of people buy exspensive speakers amp em with crap or run them off deck power then say "This Speaker is garbage"..

kappa perfect for door speakers/components

jl for subs imo

jl have retardedly low amp ratings but when you actually listen to them they kick ass

atm i have soundstream components in my car and they sound great ;)

Back