Cost & Work Swap Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bobo HC3D

Iam about to do my engine swap
B18c5 into a 96 civic.
The car mechanic said that it will take at least 3 days for the mechanic part and 3 more days for the electric stuff.
Isnt this a bit long?
This is a stage 1 swap.
For the electric??? 3days seems to be freaking long?
How long should it take normaly?
Thx

wtf, it's OBD2-OBD2, that mechanic sucks--show him the cash u WERE going to give him, then say :tfg: and leave. It can be done in a weekend with some friends....The ITR may take a little longer becuase the wiring is for RHD, but that's all, definately not 3 days worth. Get someone who knows anything about swaps, and then get a shop manual. you just saved yourself 1k-2k (depending on how much he is charging)

he is factoring in having to order parts. we had my engine in the car and ready to go over a weekend, but ran into things we needed... a new fuel rail, a new mount, radiator hoses...

wiring 3 days.. no way though.

but really do it yourself

and what is a stage 1 swap?

It might take a shop 6 days 'cause hes got other cars to work on. It only takes a weekend if you're working on it the whole time. He's got other customers and shit, he's not just gonna do your swap for the next two days. What you 'cant wait 6 days for a new motor in your car? This isnt an oil change and tire rotation you know. Sorry but I work in a shop and it seems no one realizes that we work on other cars too.

aahh, c'mon do it yourself, learn the hard way, and then you could teach some other young bucks. very simple!

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Mar 18 2003, 03:12 PM
wtf, it's OBD2-OBD2, that mechanic sucks--show him the cash u WERE going to give him, then say :tfg: and leave. It can be done in a weekend with some friends....The ITR may take a little longer becuase the wiring is for RHD, but that's all, definately not 3 days worth. Get someone who knows anything about swaps, and then get a shop manual. you just saved yourself 1k-2k (depending on how much he is charging)

Actually Bobo is in Poland and i believe the motor was local so it wouldn't even be RHD.I agree you should try to get the facilities and do it yourself.I did mine,the work in a few hours and the wiring,total start to finish two days.Troubleshooting any problems,give it a day or two.
I think stage 1 is referring to a basic swap.

BOBO,
I think you can do it yourself but you should ge a shop manual and a nice set of tools, it really makes a difference. Rent or buy a engine hoist and make sure you plan everything out. Get all the parts you're gonna need, such as radiator hoses, new mounts, etc.. because if you don't have everything it can delay your swap by a few days. And make sure you have someone helping you pull the stock motor out and guide the new one in.

I did my swap over this last weekend and I was missing the header bolts, and few other small things and I gotta wait until tomorrow before I can finish it up. What I'm saying is if you plan and buy everything ahead of time your car will experience less down time especially if it is your only source of transportation.

click on here and check out my post, I outlined a few of the problems I experienced

thanks a lot folks.
I have done plenty of swap but on motorbikes.
The engine were never bigger than 125cc and it was 2 strokes of course.
Iam not affraid of the mechanic, is more the electronic that scares me, anyway if I screw up something then i can always get a car electric to fix it up for me
I ll give you a word when Iam finished
B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

Back