D16Y7 engine & 5spd trans into '84 DX??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

karthan

I may have access to a '98 D16Y7 engine and 5 speed transmission. I have an old '84 DX hatchback with a dying 1.3l engine (hey, it gave it 315k real good miles). The new engine will have a lot of miles also (about 109k) and I don't know how it was treated during it's life.

My question is, how easy would this swap be? I will probibly get the wiring harness and ECU. What will need to change (engine mounts and exhaust)? Will I have to change the front axles? I won't be getting those. Will there be any problems with the radiator (new hoses or should I just completely replace it)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck Martin
cbmnavo@yahoo.com

Its gonna be hard... I cnat even begin to imagine how hard, but it will be hard... that help? You may want to search for a 3rd gen Civic site...

After thinking about it for a minute...

You could more than likely use an 88-91 Si ECU or even an 84-87 Si ECU...

Thanks, that does help alot. What about an '87 Civic SI engine? (It is listed as an '87, but may be an '88 because I can't seem to find any info about an '87 SI, but I don't really know Hondas.)

Thanks,
Chuck Martin
cbmnavo@yahoo.com

the main problem, which will be a lot of work, will be to convert the whole car over to multi point fuel injection as opposed to the setup you have now...

an 87 civic si motor should bolt in fairly easily, but again you will have wiring and fuel issues...

if you are going to do all the work then an even better motor choice would be an 86 or 87 DOHC integra motor, its a D16A1...
around 115 hp, lots of fun in a light car..

look in the refrence section for 1st gen crx FAQ, it has a lot of cheap mods you can do...

EDIT: 87 si motor is an EW4, MPFI SOHC, approx 90 or 95 horse...

Back