Drag Car Advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdcrew45

I need some help please. I am in the process of buying a 92-95 civic hB and was wondering what swap I should do. The car is not going to be street legal (just track only). I am stuck on what engine to get. I was set on the gsr but it is a lot of $$. I was going to rebuilt the engine anyway and change the internals. From what I've been reading is that the difference is, VTEC and the internals are better in a gsr then LS. But if I am gonna change the internals anyway why would I buy a gsr? Turbo is also another choice, I could do that on a LS with the extra $. Does anyone have some sugestions?

If a GSR is too much money,than you're going to have a hard time affording the cost of a race.Full blown track only drag car think about $12,000.

werd, drag racing aint cheap. specially with 4 bangers. If you think your gonna be a drag racer you need an H22 if you ever wanna win a race. Not sayin B series can't make power, but you have to go big. If you've seen FnF more than 5 times, you should rethink your racing plans.

I know I'm eventually gonna spend that much but I figured If I can save some on the motor I can do other work to the car. I want to start looking at my options. What about the weight of the h22? I want to go in the mid /high 12's. I gonna save my pennies but just what to know where to start out. Thanks for the feedback.

H22 can definitely get you into the 12's (with some additional upgrades),but it is more than a GSR to get in the car.Still though for a pure drag car it is good.It depends on how much your willing to spend,and how much work you want to invest.

i agree, if you want a full blown race car, get the h22. it's going to cost you an arm and a leg btw. and for sure that shit aint cheap. i'm not saying a gsr would be a bad option, it's just that you said you want a full blown drag car and you need all the displacement you need.

Dude, you can run mid to high 12s on a gsr w/o building the bottom end and still retain street legal status. If your talking building for pure drag, your aiming a little low. Its not uncommon to run na in the twelves in that chassis and people who build and boost push Bs into the tens on the reuglar now adays. The Bs are great for drag, the H22 will give you more power but its a pain in the ass swap. Do what you feel but the B-EG is tried and true, especially for 12s.

Why does everybody make putting an H22 into a hatch like I'm tryin to fit a 427 on a skate board? It ain't that difficult. A few hundred cc's bigger, a few hundred lbs heavier, and I can get a H22 a lot cheaper than a GSR. Your axles may snap like tooth picks, but other than that it's not that hard. Simple, you want a drag car? Put in a H22 and boost it. Later on hondata. You'll be unstopable.

Does anyone know anybody that put a h22 in 92-95 civic hb. From what I read you need aftermarket motor mounts kit and need to make room for the alternator. AC is not needed and I can get a slim radiator. I know you need some wiring too but I'm up for that. Am I missing something else. Really what I'm saying is that as long as there is no welding or something I can't do, the H22 will be good for me. But then again If the Gsr doesn't need all this it might come out to the same thing

yeah for all out drag i saw a crx with a gsr bored to 2.0L running all motor and it made a pass at 10.24. check out the march issue of honda tuning.

so if he can do it w/o boost in a 1600 lb car i think you should be able to do 12's in a 2200 lb car easy.

*but i bet he knows how to weld. j/k*

How hard can welding be? Just need a machine and shield and the owners manual right? j/k Thanks for the reply. Now your making me want to build crx race car

i didnt get a chance to read everyone's replies but i thought i would toss in my two cents... if your only AIM is 11's or 12's then you dont need to make it a full on race car... you can make a daily street driven LS/t in your car fairly easily...

and about full blown race car's costing about 12,000, sorry... its a lil more like 30,000 [upwards of 65,000 when your talkin about tube chassis or back-half]... a few of my buddies have their own race car, its taken them awhile but they are done and their driver is busy studying for his NHRA 9 second driver's license... i'll try and cruise by their pad today to take a few pictures since the car is outside lol

their motor alone was a 13,000 alone... it's the motor from the old Rev Hard Civic Coupe [Myles Bautista owed them a favor]

:p

sorry about my previous post it was incorrect, he was running a 2.2L b18c1. note also that this was his first day testing this motor and on his first pass i think he made a 10.39 pass.

Back