Engine knocking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16coupe

Today after i had an oil change, i notice a knocking noise coming from the engine. It only knocks when i accelerating. It kinda does it at idle but is very hard to hear. It sounds like it is metal on metal. I have taken my rods out twice. once to put new piston rings on and once to put new pistons in and i re-used the rod bearings each time. does this sound like rod knock. does rod knock happen when the rod bearings loose their clearances and slap up against the crank shaft? Or could this be detonation. I have never heard detonation before so help me out please.

if the noise level increases as u go up in rpms i would definately say its a rod knock. are u sure its coming from the block and not the head. try draining ur oil and see if u got any metal in there

Good news, just went outside and started my car. It knocked like crazy for about 2 seconds and then stopped. I then revved the motor a little and you could hear it so i started to pull the spark plug wires one at a time to see if it was just pinging or whatever. So when i pull #2 and rev it a little there is no noise but every other time it knocked when revving. So it is kinda good news that it isnt rod knock but i gotta find out why it is pinging now. and for those that have never heard pinging or detonating(which ever it is), it is a lot louder than you think it is.

Bad news, I was wrong, it was teh rod(s). I'm gonna drop the oil pan just to be sure later. But i need to find a b16 or b17 crank rods and pistons.

btw my work fuckin sucks, i called an told them that i just blew my motor and they didn't even give a shit. All they said was to get into work as fast as possible. And they don't even really need me today.

Quoted post[/post]]
if the noise level increases as u go up in rpms i would definately say its a rod knock. are u sure its coming from the block and not the head. try draining ur oil and see if u got any metal in there

thats incorect. there alot of things that go the same speed as the engine. could be a rocker arm, or camshaft knock, it takes a good ear to hear the knock and pinpoint what it is. posts like these are almost impossible cause we are guessing, we cant hear the knock and we cant depend on an "in experienced ear" to tell us what it sounds like, you say knock.

for the record, a rod knock will sound more like double knock, think of it this way, the rod goes up it knocks, the rod comes down it knocks, hence the double KNOCK KNOCK. something from the valvetrain knocking goes alot faster and will move perfectly with engine RPM. hence the reason i decided to correct you before he gets sent in the wrong, expensive direction!

Back