File Server

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drake

VIP
So here is the setup. I want to make a file server so a few friends of mine can access my machine from there place so we can work on a database project. I have a copy of 2k3 server and already have it installed. I have configured my share but Im not sure how they are going to remote into it to transfer files from my box to there machine. Any help is much appreciated.

FTP or telnet. If you don't like either of those you could always use a secure WinVNC setup to allow them full access to the server any time anywhere as long as you have a static IP. More details would help me to give you an idea on your situation. What kind of database are you working with (what format). What kind of connection you have (How much bandwidth and what kind of IP and also if your home network is running on sometype of router and what brand...) Although you could setup sometype of webpage through your ISP with just the DB file on it and when your friend"s" are done editing it they could just upload it back to the same page so everyone has full access to that file and that file only.

My ISP is Comcast just straight up cable connection. As far as bandwidth im not really sure, I dont really care if it slows down my speed much I dont do any hardcore shit any way. Right now im not running a router just a hardline from the modem into the box. I should be getting a router by monday. So ill let you know more about that soon.

It isnt just the database file i want to share out with them. I plan on sharing out backups of there machines and other shit they wana back up off site. Thanks for the advice im gonna look more into FTP. Any other thoughts?

I use the VNC setup at my house and at work. I can login with a password either with client software or via a web browser. From there, I can see my desktop as if I was right in front of it! I can also transfer files real easy!

I also have comcast and use no-ip.com for DDNS. you just pick yourname.no-ip.info, that points to your router and then you port forward the applications you need from the router!

Its pretty easy to set up and I like the VNC GUI.

there are ways around needed a static IP for VPN connections, or ftp etc...
you can set up an account with dyndns.org and you're all set. and it's free.
and he's using comcast, even tho they are setup dhcp, you always get the same ip address unless you cahange you mac address

gotcha, but why the extra hassle? just get a static from your provider.

from my experience with comcast you esscentially have a static IP. I cant remember it now, but i know i had a ftp server on my home computer through a IIS. used the same IP all through highschool (my documents...escentially, my homework was the shared file)

Quoted post[/post]]
from my experience with comcast you esscentially have a static IP. I cant remember it now, but i know i had a ftp server on my home computer through a IIS. used the same IP all through highschool (my documents...escentially, my homework was the shared file)
or you can use a proxy, because unless you reserve"buy" an IP, your IP can change. WHich would be called a dynamic IP. Just adding that there, wouldnt rely on keeping the same IP all the time. just setup some program somone can message and get the IP of your machine if it changes. That really depends on how long your taking to coplete the project

www.no-ip.com is DDNS as well, and its free! Why pay $5 or more for a static IP when you don't need one?

But, comcast does not change the IP very often, and usually the only time it does change is if they (comcast) cycle your modem remotely or the internet goes down. My comcast address has not changed in 6 months at my house.

I still use no-ip.com everywhere I go, its free, easy to setup, and always works!

Back