GSR RODS VS LS RODS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

delslow

I just found out a couple a days ago that my GSR crank, on the same one the rod bearing spun on, is crack. So I ask the guy at the machine shop what he can do for me..... he said he look into find me a new one.
He called me yesterday and said that he is unable to find a Remanufactured one or someone that has one lying around.
Now the thing is I able to find so many LS cranks with no bigg problems but GSR one are hard to find. Will the question is are LS rods and GSR rods are they the same length if I decide to use the LS crank with GSR rods and ITR pistons of course or will I the piston stick out at the top of the block. I now that the main bearing and rod bearing diameter are the same in the two cranks and I would need some ARP rod bolts to prevent streching of the rod bolts at higher RPMs.
Are some more info for everyone I have 94 GSR motor trying to rebuild it with some ITR Piston (USDM Specs) and mill down the head to rise the compression to at least 11.1 to 1 (JDM Specs). But now trying to use the LS crank because of my problem I ran into.
IF it is more work and money I need to spend or if someone has a really good GSR or Type R crank lying around for a good price email me at short_short_man@yahoo.com.

They're not the same length. GSR rods = 137.9mm and LS rods = 137.0mm. You'll have to match the rods to the crank.

LS crank with GSR rods = pistons sticking up out of bore
GSR crank with LS rods = pistons sitting really deep in the bore

So you are saying that I need to use the LS Rod with the LS crank and ARP rod bolts. But can I do what I wanted to do with the ITR Piston to JDM specs or not.

Yes, LS rods with LS crank.

You need to shave the rod end of the rod down some to fit the ITR piston.

For the ITR pistons to fit onto the LS rods you need to shave the small end down. (opposite the crank journal.) Just so the rod fits into the pistons so the Wrist Pin can be pressed in.

Back