GSR Swap into 98 Civic dx help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

icustomxxxi

Hi I am planning a GSR swap into my 98 Civic dx in about 3 months and i have a few questions.

First: USDM or JDM? Can a JDM B18c motor pass inspection and be driven leagaly here in New York? If not then i guess that it narrows my choices down to the USDM.

Second: Will the stock exhaust manifold from the GSR bolt up with my stock civic exhaust?

Third: Wiring. I have heard that i will need to run a few wires. I think 2 Vtec wires and a knock sensor. Does anyone have any tips or an explaition of how to complete the wiring because once i figure that out i think that i am pretty much set.

Thanks for any help and time put into answering these qusetions. It is greatly appreciated and hopefully ill get my hybrid running smoothly very soon.
:worthy:

One more question: motor mounts? i have a d series now and again ive heard different things about the mounts i will need? Any answers? Thanks

you need to add a knock sensor wire, pin 6, plug d on your ecu. vtec solenoid valve,pin 8, plug a on your ecu. iab solenoid, pin 26, plug a, and im not sure about your oil pressure sensor i think you should have that wire,pin 15, plug b

you will need all the mounts from the donor engine except drivers side bottom one bellow the sprockets use the one off your car and i read somewher tha you need a 99 civic si rear upper mount but i aint sure about that

what is the iab solenoid?

do you feel that the wiring job can be done fairly easily, ive done motor swaps in trucks before but i have never dealt with computers, or would it be better to get it done professionally. i'd rather do all the work myself so anymore help anyone can offer would be great. built not bought!

im not sure i havnt got an up to date wiring diagram only diagrams of the ecu pin outs its somthing that needs to be added to run the gsr motor.

depends if you want to get your hands dirty.when i started mine i wasnt near any experts to help me but like you i didnt have much knowledge of computers or wiring and i end up taking the whole loom out and taking it to an electrcian to save hassle. but if you can get your car to them do... cos taking out a whole loom for the sake of a couple of wires is no fun

If i got the ecu and the wiring harness from the B18c would i still need to add the extra wires or would everything just plug together and run fine?

what year is the engine you want to put in. check the plugs on your ecu to see if you already have the wires for the vtec functions, just because your car isnt a vtec they might have fitted your car with a harness with the extra wires, its a long shot but worth a look before you do anything else

im looking to put a 97+ engine in because is it OBDII and so is my 98 Civic dx. ill check to see if i have the wires but if the swap comes with the ecu and harness will i have to worry about any extra wiring?

the gsr engine harness should just plug into to your stock civic harness but you still have to use the stock harness aswell (the part that runs under the dash to your ecu) so if youve checked your your ecu plugs in your car and your still missing the vtec wires the answer is yes you will still have to do some wiring

Back