h22a rpm capability

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Here ya go, I found one example on the net to get you started.

Variable turbine geometry (VTG) | BorgWarner Turbo Systems

the new acura K23 turbo engine has a turbocharger with a similar feature. also, there were some dodge "shelby" vehicles in the late 80's that had VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbo, i think). the turbo's from the dodges are prolly a little small for an H22 though.

VNT: How VNTâ„¢ Works - Honeywell Turbo Technologies.

i am in the process of building a h22a4 short

block.
i am looking to rebuild with factory usdm parts.
stock rods and pistons. will use coated main and rod bearings.
also will use apr custom rod bolts.
it motor will live in high rpms(i like to rev) oil pump will be changed for a higher flowing unit.
my question is will i start spinnig bearing or breaking rods?
what is a safe rpm for a stock unmodified bottom end and any ideas on my set up?
thank you

id say around 8300-8500 rpm would be ideal. once it rebuilt youll defiantely beable to bring that thing to at least 9000 easily

i am thinking obout rebuilding my bottom end. i am going to use probe rods(got a good deal). i planned on using my stock usdm pistons but might go with typs s or malhe. question which pistons are lighter. the factory usdm h22a4, type-s, or the malhe factory comp/high comp pistons. and what is the best way to hone the fmr cylinder walls? mine are smooth as glass and i really dont want to touch them.
i want to test out a cylinder head that i ported and i want to keep the bottom end as stock as possible in terms of compression. my goal is to make as much power n/a first and problely will rev higher then 8300rpms. kms has a high volume oil pump and i thing i could get somthing build relieably.
i am going to keep the top end pretty stock in terms of cams and valves. supertech retainers(maybe valve springs). my stage 2 head and intake manifold. 74mm throttle body and a chipped poa ecu.
im trying to get over 200 hp on stock cams.. if everything holds up i might go turbo maybe a low boost system. im really trying to build a short block that can handle both situations relieably so i can test my cylinder heads

i am thinking obout rebuilding my bottom end. i am going to use probe rods(got a good deal). i planned on using my stock usdm pistons but might go with typs s or malhe. question which pistons are lighter. the factory usdm h22a4, type-s, or the malhe factory comp/high comp pistons. and what is the best way to hone the fmr cylinder walls? mine are smooth as glass and i really dont want to touch them.
i want to test out a cylinder head that i ported and i want to keep the bottom end as stock as possible in terms of compression. my goal is to make as much power n/a first and problely will rev higher then 8300rpms. kms has a high volume oil pump and i thing i could get somthing build relieably.
i am going to keep the top end pretty stock in terms of cams and valves. supertech retainers(maybe valve springs). my stage 2 head and intake manifold. 74mm throttle body and a chipped poa ecu.
im trying to get over 200 hp on stock cams.. if everything holds up i might go turbo maybe a low boost system. im really trying to build a short block that can handle both situations relieably so i can test my cylinder heads

think before you start building
dont be scared to weld or machine parts
i try what i think works
experience is best when learned for yourself
unless it breaks the bank :lol:
user_offline.gif
vbrep_register("689975")
progress.gif

Wilder build=More money for less payoff.

Read up on the Pissedoffsol that pretty much started this site. Brian eventually sold off 20k in shit, and barely drove the car.

Good luck.

i thinking of bumping the stroke. i am about to pull out my f22a. and use the crank. probe makes h2.3 vtec rods so i might use them with my factory pistons and go for gold. will go n/a for now keeping the stock cams and,valves and retainers but i might upgrade the springs(heard that ti- retainers wear down in 30k). i will try to make as much hp with this setup and it should be boost friendly with stock usdm pistons. should be able to spool turbo setup and get more rpms.
i will document the n/a part of the build
i trying to get more than 225 whp n/a
325 with turbo at 6 psi and 370 with 10 psi on stock sleeves and pistons:cool:
should be good to drive every day.

the head s not finished and very dirty.
i will post more pics when finished.
also hear is the ruff intake manifold(still has to go to the machine shop
i will over bore the upper manifold for a 74mm throttle body and finish the runners.
sta70186qe1.jpg

sta70202dw0.jpg

sta70165ge9.jpg

Last edited:
i found sombody selling acura legend injectors. are they the same physical size as the prelude injectors? he said that they flow 345cc and are low impedence. that means that they will work with my obd 1 injector clips on my 1990 accord. If sombody can verify this for me please

i will be finishing the ports tomorrow. i found another set of legend injectors. they are 340cc and should work for any need i should have.
undergroundusa makes skunk 2 stage 1 replicas and i will try them, also i picked up a rpm service 74 mm throttle body. going to take the upper intake manifold
de1vl7.jpg

match to the throttle body.

yeah but the guy who was selling them backed out of the deal because he sold the whole car instead. i found them elsewhere and kenji or pherible will sell me a chiped p28 programed the run those injectors he also told me that they are 340cc. that should be more than enough fuel for all of my n/a needs

i sent the head to the machine shop today.
i will have some pics of cleaned up and finished head when i get it back
i cleaned up the ports. i going to have the head milled .020" and all of the factory equipment is being reused. valves, springs & retainers. i am going to run the factory cams for know and i am going to use f series parts on the bottom end. i will rev to 7500 rpms max. hopefully no spun bearings
dscn0992jv4.jpg

dscn0990lx6.jpg

sta70202dw0.jpg

Last edited:
Back