H23/t

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
Nobody seems to mention the idea of boosting an H23 eninge. I don't really know alot about prelude engines and I'm still learning about FI but I would think it would be a great platform to work off of once you get it swapped in. Am I missing something here? I need the 411 y0!

now uve done it, the guys on here will jump all over u for wanting to boost a H series motor, haha, they kno all the reasons, basically it ends up being the hardest series to boost, im sure someone more informed on the topic will fill u in.

Actually, it gets tlked about all the time here. It's an easier platform to boost than the H22. Plus, it's got a longer (i.e. more boost-friendly) tranny than the H22.

I'd think the only think you have to worry about is whether the H23 is an open-deck or closed-deck block. Nobody here has been able to confirm it, but I believe it's a closed-deck design. Why? Because the 92-96 H22's were closed-deck blocks, it stands to reason that the H23's (which were produced those same years) would be closed-deck as well.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jan 4 2003, 09:12 PM

I'd think the only think you have to worry about is whether the H23 is an open-deck or closed-deck block. Nobody here has been able to confirm it, but I believe it's a closed-deck design. Why? Because the 92-96 H22's were closed-deck blocks, it stands to reason that the H23's (which were produced those same years) would be closed-deck as well.

ummmmm, what's a closed/open deck mean?? :huh:

closed means the sleeves dont "float"

here- pics are better.

clsoed deck:

pro%20series%20turbo%20block%202.jpg

open deck

D%20SERIES%20BLOCK%205.jpg

and I presume this is bad as it makes it harder to resleave? I would think the end product would be more sturdy though, but then again that's just a guess, I just learning here...

other than 1/2 the h22's out there (maybe h23's), all honda motors are open deck deisgn.

it allows for better cooling, as the water jackets are right on the sleeves, not metal whihc conducts heat.

nissan on the other hand are all closed deck to the best of my knowledge- the good ones anyway, sr20, rb26, etc... and thats why they are good at holding boost with no bottom end work

so in your opinion, could an h23 hold an advantage over an open deck block so far as handling boost is concerned?

it does not mean the closed deck with h series are more capable of taking boost. The sleeves in the h22 are thin so the h23 sleeves must be very very thin this mean that they aren't as capable to handle high horsepower but i mean like 700 hp so for just 12 psi they are "ok"

Originally posted by viprcr1@Jan 12 2003, 10:09 AM
it does not mean the closed deck with h series are more capable of taking boost. The sleeves in the h22 are thin so the h23 sleeves must be very very thin this mean that they aren't as capable to handle high horsepower but i mean like 700 hp so for just 12 psi they are "ok"

Could you explain this a little better please? Are you saying that a closed deck block won't handle boost better than an open deck will?

i think what he is saying is that an open deck block with thick sleeves (ie, a bseries) will hold more boost than a thin walled closed deck (ie h23) will.

i can't say if this is true or not, nor if the h23 is in fact a closed deck- i've never seen one

Well, I guess it's time to do some searching on the net. As I said, it stands to reason that the H23's were closed since the H22's produced in the same years were also closed, but I suppose we should be sure so that we're not talking out our asses. :p

Yes, the H23 is a closed deck design.
hondalude23builtmotor.jpg

And this particular block is being built up by one of the other Navy sailors here in Jax, FL to produce 500 hp(turbo'd/intercooled) in his 94 accord.

Personally, I have a 90 Accord 2dr LX 5spd w/240,000 mi on the stock F22A1(8.8:1CR). As soon I finish the turbo kit, I plan on boosting the engine til it detonates, so I have an excuse for the wife to drop an H23 in. She won't let me "fix" the engine unless it's "broken"!!!

My setup so far:
-custom tig-welded tubular manifold w/ ext. wastegate flange, designed to retain use of A/C
-Turbonetics 7.5lb Deltagate
-.48/.42 A/R Garrett T-3
-2.5" mandrel-bent down pipe and Stainless exhaust
-Tig-welded aluminum Air-water IC fabricated from Rustang SVO unit w/Spearco core
-cheap Bosch BOV
-Vortech 10:1 FMU (I know it sucks, but $150 less than S-AFC)
-Walbro 255 hi-flow-in-tank fuel pump
-Battery relocated to the trunk to allow space for mounting air-water IC

Another useful note: The F22 non-VTECs and the H23 share the same exhaust manifold gasket and bolt pattern :D That means the turbo manifold is completely swappable between motors.

There are a lot of honda block that are closed deck. THere is pretty much a block in any series from a certain year that is closed deck. Well at least in my experience when we have done swaps in my friends cars we have come accross many blocks with closed decks but according to many engine building companies and people running high boost would mostly agree with what pissedoffsol said, if you have a closed deck with thick sleeves it will be the strongest, then open deck with thick sleeves, then closed deck with thin sleeves and the weakest is open deck with thin sleeves. If you have a closed deck block or open deck with think sleeves and proper tuning the sleeves can handle moderate boost, assuming the cylinder walls are in good shape. Mainly good tuning is the key, as is taking care of your engine with regular tune ups and fluid changes. Closed deck doesn't cool as well like was stated by others.

Back