Head job complete

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolidDreamz

ok My head is back together with the new head gasket. My car used to only smoke between shifts (blue smoke) burning oil. Now every once in a while alot of blue smoke comes out even when im not shifting. Do you think its the contaminents in the system from doing the head job. Pulling off the head leaks shi@ into you cylinders. I already changed my oil and drove 800 miles back home. I do know the rings in my 1st cylinder leaks but its not severe. Do you think that if i change the oil again then the smoking should stop. Also if you exhaust valves dont seal properly would that contribute. I cleaned off the carbon deposits on my valves but i never did a valve job to make sure it seated correctly. I did adjust the valves to the specific value. What would cause the car to smoke on occasion pretty bad? thanks

My compression is 184-190 in all cylinders. Car runs great since head job,I can feel all my power is back but it smokes more then it used to before the head gasket went bad.

I believe its just contaminants! Ive seen this b4. Give it a good week to burn everything out. If it dont stop then you might have a problem.

right- its most likely this resude of stuff left on the head. no matter how clean the cleaned it, its still going to burn off till its gone.
if it still does it after a week, post agiain with new developments

Same thing happened when I helped change a bunch of stuff on a friend's WRX. One of the parts we changed was the downpipe, and it smoked like a mother for a full day after we changed it. We were getting nervous, thinking it was a bad seal or that we had damaged something on the wastegate putting in the pipe. Next day though, everything was fine, and he was out smokin everyone on the road. :D

hey dohc vtec accord, is that your real pic? with the mullett? Thanks. Besides that. Its not smoking as much now but im getting lag sometimes. Feels like turbo lag, but I dont have a turbo (yet).... the car doesnt want to accelerate then all of a sudden it goes. Someone told me its the valves, like one could be sticking or something. best description is once I was giving it gas in 1st and when the rpms got to 3000 it lagged for like 3 secs then the car just goes and the rpms fly up like it should. whats with the lag? Sometimes it'll be in a higher hear too. Most of the time the lag is at 3000 rpm's, even in upper gears (SomeTimes) not always. thanks

He would have a mullet if his friends wouldn't make so much fun of it. Secretly he wants to have a collection of rusting wheelless muscle cars on blocks in his front yard.

Wait till you see the decor in my new place. Big #3's and #8's all over the place, signed Nascar pictures hanging on the walls, and Nascar on the TV 23-7....the extra hour will be spend with the TV off, praying for Dale Earnhardt's passing into the pearly gates.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 21 2002, 02:18 PM
Wait till you see the decor in my new place. Big #3's and #8's all over the place, signed Nascar pictures hanging on the walls, and Nascar on the TV 23-7....the extra hour will be spend with the TV off, praying for Dale Earnhardt's passing into the pearly gates.

Heh. You should've been with me in Duncan, OK. I can't even begin to remember how many 3 and 8 stickers were on cars there.
:blink:

anyone know what would cause a car to burn more oil then usual after replacing the head gasket? I finished the job last thursday and drove 900 miles home, changed the oil and now its monday and still smoking. if your valves arent adjusted correctly can that cause a honda to blow smoke? I know my rings in 1st clylinder are going bad but it used to only blow smoke between shifts, not while i was still in gear.

I've seen misadjusted valves cause higher oil usage. Quick/easy to adjust them. See if it helps.

This is cool, but it's not. I'm having the same problem you are right now. My friend and I rebuilt a motor and now it smokes, but not so much as a... like say... a smoke machine. We tested compression and it all checked out to be within spec. We hadn't done a leak down test yet. And I'm having to add a quart of oil about every 400 miles, depending on how hard I drive. I'm guessing that the valve guide seals are either worn or improperly installed on yours and maybe on mine. If you haven't figured it out by the time I get my leak down, I'll let you know how mine turns out.

thats cool, i was thinking that it had something to do with the valves not sealing all the way or something. Im gonna double check my valve adjustments later on this week when i get a chance. If that fixes it ill let you know!

Back