Ian's build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

it will cost you closer to 1000 though. gotta pay for shipping too. was about 50 each way.

im glad i have favors to call in...getting my block sleeved and PnP done for free...(minus the cost of the sleeves)

My build up was already 10k...i wouldnt want to add 2 more.

ok more updates :)

i decided to get new pistons. theres nothing really wrong with the ones i have, but i like to plan ahead for any problems that may arise. so i went with some brand spanking new JDM ITR OS pistons. i went oversized cause im just gonna overbore the block anyway to have a nice solid cylinder wall surface. this should take care of any imperfections the cylinders might have be it scratches or out of roundness. and the price was right so i also picked up an AASCO alluminum flywheel. features parallelism to .001", 8-9lbs, and a replaceable friction surface. info on the flywheel here http://estores.merchantpartners.com/pn280/...&products_id=39

pics:

gallery_1242_496_44505.jpg

gallery_1242_496_33408.jpg

gallery_1242_496_66963.jpg

gallery_1242_496_41936.jpg

gallery_1242_496_66324.jpg

gallery_1242_496_15206.jpg

:)

still need a few more things before building can commence.

im gonna pick up a spare gsr block so i dont have to tear into mine. so ill be looking for that next. and i still need a battery and an ostrich. but i think those can wait. so once i get a gsr block, get it bored/honed/cleaned. the building will commence :)

anyone really know about how much it should cost to hot tank/bore/hone a block?

Quoted post[/post]]
:)

still need a few more things before building can commence.

im gonna pick up a spare gsr block so i dont have to tear into mine. so ill be looking for that next. and i still need a battery and an ostrich. but i think those can wait. so once i get a gsr block, get it bored/honed/cleaned. the building will commence :)

anyone really know about how much it should cost to hot tank/bore/hone a block?

$150 or so.

niice. got the rings for the pistons today :) oem OS. anyone have experience with OEM rings? do they tend to need to be filled? or on the money for the most part? i know i SHOULD check/file to perfection, and i probably will just seeing if they are good from the factory.

anoterh update. many of you have seen my rise and fall on the ITR/GSR plate thread. ive pretty much ditched that idea. im just gonna use the hondata race gasket to cover up the hole completely.

pic of the race gasket
gallery_1242_496_36013.jpg

i also got a z10 plug to plug the hole on the back on the block for the stock breather box. since i have the endyn can, i wont be using it, and needed to close up the hole.

pic of the plug
gallery_1242_496_10575.jpg

thats all for now :)

yay more updates :)

got me a brand new Type R intake manifold courtesy of Mike Bergy. too bad i had to hack it up, haha.

pic of the biggest required modification
gallery_1242_496_186507.jpg

there used to be a big chunk of aluminum right there that covered the whole opening. had to drill it out then smooth it all out with the sanding bits of the dremel.

next you can see why the RACE gasket was necessay when using the ITR manifold on the GSR head
gallery_1242_496_64239.jpg

as you can see the ITR mani wouldnt even cover the coolant hole. so the race gasket covers it up for me. i put some RTV sealant/gasket maker on there (you can see it comming out below the gasket) just as a little extra insurance so it wont leak.

shot of the mani/head combo.
gallery_1242_496_223823.jpg

overall it was fun making this work. im glad i ditched the plate idea. it had potential, but in the end this is the better solution. dremel and a hand drill were all that was needed to make this happen. just used the gaskets as a template, drilled the holes off it, then used the dremel to "fudge" the holes since some were slightly off from the bit walking or whatever.

also picked up an engine stand from harbor freight for 40 bucks! cant beat that :)
gallery_1242_496_151784.jpg

whats in the blue box you might ask? just this...
gallery_1242_496_107781.jpg

GSR block. went and picked it up from a guy in CT last week. cylinder walls look good. he said its in good condition so lets hope for no spun bearings when i take it apart. i gotta take it apart to take to the machine shop to get hot tanked, bored, honed, and talk to them about getting one of the bolt holes repaired. as you can see its kinda bare though. kinda sucks but oh well. i was gonna replace most of the stuff its missing anyway, just sucks i have to buy all the stupid little bolts now, lol. good thing they arent expensive.

thanks for looking :)

Quoted post[/post]]
Cooooooool. Want a mint spare GSR block? Your pistons might rattle around in the bores though...
lmao. yea 81.25 pistons in a 85mm bore = FTW :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
why not an aftermarket intake mai for the gsr head like skunk
want to race HC one day. rules say you must use stock unmodified intake manifold. only modding of the manifold thats allowed is portmatching 1" into the runners and drilling for fitment

1. already have GSR head
2. already dumped over 2k into GSR head
3. GSR head > ITR head imo anyway.

Quoted post[/post]]
Cooooooool. Want a mint spare GSR block? Your pistons might rattle around in the bores though...

Yes. It will fit perfectly in the family of 2 b16 blocks and a b18a block I have in the garage...Give it to me for free. You don't need it, and you make buko bucks at LM now :)

Quoted post[/post]]
1. already have GSR head
2. already dumped over 2k into GSR head
3. GSR head > ITR head imo anyway.

Good call. GSR head>ITR head. GSR head with portflow work>>>>>>>>>>ITR head.

BTW, the ITR manifold looks good :) I had to do the same thing with the b16 manifold to fit my ls head.
And you will definitely like the AASCO flywheel, I have the exact same one, and I can rev the piss out of my LS.

mike did you ever find out if hondata had a race gasket for the LS?

and mini update. got the engine all apart. just waiting for a little cash so i can take it to the machine shop to get hot tanked/bored/honed/repaired

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Yes. It will fit perfectly in the family of 2 b16 blocks and a b18a block I have in the garage...Give it to me for free. You don't need it, and you make buko bucks at LM now :)

No problem, as long as you walk all the way here from Cali to get it and collect a dollar at each intersection, then give me whatever money you collect when you get here.

:wink:

Oh yeah, I've never been more broke in my whole life than I am now. :cry:

Back