I'm a Whore

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
The entire credit card communications infrastructure is held together with Access databases.

Think about that.

impossible. 100% impossible.

Access holds 2^16 rows

65536 to be exact.

I assure you, there are more than 65, 536 credit card numbers.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
You may want to check out Ruby on Rails. That's some wacked out shit there.

i've played with ruby a little bit..... i need to do more reading on it. i suck at xml and xlst too... its too ".net-ish" for me to like it i think... <param:something> crap... :shiver:

neat concept though

request_cycle.png

Rails is what makes Ruby so powerful. Its NOTHING without Rails.

Quoted post[/post]]
access? :bash:

you will never make it in the corprate world dude...

You'd be REAL suprised what sort of applications are backended with Access. Granted a MySQL server will run circles around it, but Access use is still widespread.

Case in point: The job I just landed is focused around admin'ing the company's Access DB. Being one of the EXTREMELY few Access junkies (Yes, this coming from a diehard Linux nut) has gotten me decent pay. It's a niche market that is hard to fill properly.

Quoted post[/post]]
txt files is where it's at!
<3 perl

flat file? lmao. even access blows that out of the water.

Quoted post[/post]]
You'd be REAL suprised what sort of applications are backended with Access. Granted a MySQL server will run circles around it, but Access use is still widespread.

everything that was on access at my company is phased out and moved to sql....

the only thing we use access for is to give our non-it people who kinda know what they are doing a simple front-end to mssql to run queries via odbc. thats about it.

I actually need this for work..

How do you convert a word table into an access table without having to enter the data all over again??

Dont wanna call my stupid computer science ex bf to ask...

Quoted post[/post]]
everything that was on access at my company is phased out and moved to sql....

the only thing we use access for is to give our non-it people who kinda know what they are doing a simple front-end to mssql to run queries via odbc. thats about it.

It's like COBOL... the few companies that still use it are basically stuck with it for some odd reason and they pay top dollar to the guys who can admin it.

Oh god, I am gonna become one of THOSE guys... "Cobol is still useful!! You kids and your C programming!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i feel the same way about C... its old and getting phased out for java and other more "useful" languages. the age of dos programming is over...

Back