Karnash is back.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Long story short, i blew my motor on my 1996 sohc ex civic. Spent 1500.00 and had my mechanic replace the motor.

I get the car back and it runs fine. Only took it aorund the block.

I then try to recharge the a/c because it was empty. I hook up the bottle and hoses and discover that there is a 1/4" hole in the LOW a/c line. Apparently the short ram air intake brushed up against it and made a hole. I found out there was a hole because as I was attempting to put the refridgerant into the system, a HUGE stream of refridgerant shot out of the a/c line which is right by the air filter on my short RAM intake.

At the same time I saw the refridgerant shoot out of the hole, the car started to sputter and spurt and a CEL light came on.

Now the car BARELY idles.....it hangs on at 100rpm even after it is warmed up.

What did I do?

Did the refridgerant that was shooting out of the line somehow get in the short RAM air intake and into the engine?

I also noticed that the sensor that plugs into the little rubbber grommet on my intake is missing. Could that cause the idle to be crappy?

Also, the car is completely bone stock, including the d16y8 motor. The only "aftermarket" thing I got on there is the RAM air intake....and that is because I lost the stock box.

I also cannot find a CEL code on my ECU. The light just doesnt flash when the key is turned or when the car is running, but the CEL light on the dash is on....

I would say yea, that probably has something to do with it, especially if it was spraying straight on teh intake. My compressor bolts broke and the line landed on the header on the autobahn, when I opened the hood everything was covered in that green shit. I don't see an easy fix if it did get in and is causing this problem.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 24 2005, 09:25 PM
I would say yea, that probably has something to do with it, especially if it was spraying straight on teh intake. My compressor bolts broke and the line landed on the header on the autobahn, when I opened the hood everything was covered in that green shit. I don't see an easy fix if it did get in and is causing this problem.
[post=516251]Quoted post[/post]​

so the fact that the sensor that is supposed to be inserted into the rubber grommet in the middle of the short air intake probably has notthing to do with it?

The sensor is missing. I cant remember if it was missing when I took the car in....

Originally posted by civicious@Jun 25 2005, 02:00 AM
Thats the intake air temp. sensor. It doesn't do shit.
[post=516314]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, you are wrong.

We hooked it up to the computer and it was the IAT sensor. I can't remember if I had one on there prior to taking the car to the mechanic.

The mechanic went into the back and came out with another IAT sensor, adjusted the idle to about 680 or so and that was that.

Anyways, CAVEAT about taking your car to K. Watanabe in Los Angeles to get your motor replaced. Their customer service is non-existent as well as I had to wait 2 weeks for the swap and I had to take my car back to them 2 times after it was supposedly "done".

Originally posted by Calesta+Jun 25 2005, 06:20 PM-->
civicious
@Jun 25 2005, 01:00 AM
Thats the intake air temp. sensor. It doesn't do shit.
[post=516314]Quoted post[/post]​

:tisk: :tisk: :tisk:
[post=516485]Quoted post[/post]​

good job mike :D . screw letting other people you don't know touch your engine. just be greatful it hasnt blown up.and yeah, sensor problems suck, glad you found your problem that quick.

Originally posted by civicious+Jun 25 2005, 08:26 PM-->
Oops.
[post=516500]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm throwing a code 10 right now (IAT), and it's enough to push the ECU back into "safe mode" when the dummy light goes on. I know how to fix it- just haven't gotten around to it. So yeah- the IAT sensor really does matter quite a bit. If the ECU doesn't know the temperature of the air coming into the engine, it's not going to be able to adjust the fuel to match.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 25 2005, 09:53 PM
good job mike :D
[post=516507]Quoted post[/post]​

:bow:

MikeBergy
@Jun 25 2005, 09:53 PM
screw letting other people you don't know touch your engine.
[post=516507]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Back