my dillema

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

well my lease at my apartment complex runs out in october. they are not income based apt's but there is an income cap (which we sorta lied about to get in anyway, didnt claim tips). the lease says we are allowed a 140% increase of income when we go to resign. atm we are about 7000/year higher then the 140% increase.

basically leaves me 2 options.

-quit my job so we make income
-move out

there is another gated community right next to mine called palm cove, its houses instead of apt's though. the houses go for 200k+ there are 2 open atm, both 1200 sq feet 3br 2 bath. 1 is 975 a month the other is 1k a month to rent. after a year lease on either we could option to buy out or we could just go ahead and try to buy the one going for 1k a month rent for 220k.

imo 220k is too much to spend on a 1200 sq ft house and id rather not buy a house without a garage (has a 2 car driveway, but no room to even add a garage if wanted later on), but it is 1 small block from the beach, i like the area, property just goes up and fucking up in this area. we could always buy this as a "starter home" and in a couple years sell it for some profit.

we only have a month to decide or find another place and everywhere else weve called and looked into has a waiting list. id rather stay on the beach side of town so pretty much those are my 2 options.

either way it looks like im prolly not gonna be able to get my r32 next spring :rawr: , but im still gonna try dammit!

Quiting your job is just downright stupid.

Whats your rent at now? The houses are $1000 to rent a month, right? Will that kind of rent be hard for you to swing, if its easy to make rent then I say you just move there and rent with the option to buy a year down the line. If nothing else, I'm sure there's apartments somewhere, or a house somewhere, that you can rent if you can't find anywhere else to live.

right now its like 700/month, moneys not a problem

quitting my job isnt THAT dumb of an idea. i dont have to work, i just do for spending money :p
and if i did quit, it would only be for like 2 months. long enough to get recertified for the apt and resign another lease, then id get another job.

id really rather not quit, because that means id have to wait on boosting my sol, BUT i also REALLY dont want to BUY a house without a garage. a garage is priority on my list of things for a house. and the houses are built in such a way that there is absolutely no room to add one. they are like 3 feet apart from eachother and the driveways are directly outfront. i also dont like the idea of spending 220k on a 1200 sq ft house, but thats gonna be the norm for houses on the beach.

DON'T quit your job. Fuck that house. Keep looking. What about finding a house less than 30 min from the beach? That's not a long drive at all, plus it gives you more of a radius to shop for a house.

Originally posted by micah@Aug 4 2005, 01:42 AM
right now its like 700/month, moneys not a problem

quitting my job isnt THAT dumb of an idea. i dont have to work, i just do for spending money :p
and if i did quit, it would only be for like 2 months. long enough to get recertified for the apt and resign another lease, then id get another job.
[post=535591]Quoted post[/post]​

What restaurant do you work at? If its not a big chain restaurant and credit card tips aren't automated, work off the books. Tell your bosses your situation, say screw the hourly rate, that they don't have to pay you a dime and you'll work off the books for strictly tips. If its a big chain, then this obviously isn't going to work but if its a small business you probably could pull it off.

Taking a pay cut for no reason isn't a good idea, even if its just "for spending money". You want to buy your r32 but you don't think you're going to be able to afford it, certainly you won't be able to if you miss out on money for the next two months.

Do the math, if you move into the neighboring houses for $1000 and your rent is currently $700 then it will be a $3600 increase per year. If you take off for 2 months, you're not going to have the opportunity to make that money and you still may reach the quota to ressign, so you just screwed yourself out of 2 months worth of income. A $3600 increase per year is nothing and split between two people, I'm sure you guys can do it. So my vote is to get off the books at your work if you can, or find another good paying job thats off the books, or suck it up and move into the houses nearby.

before it was olive garden in which i never claimed tips.
now i work at applebees in the kitchen so theres no way i could cheat it like that lol.

i could try and have them cut me down to like 16 hours a week for a couple months but i dont think theyd do it.

youd have to be familiar with this area callidus. there is a bridge that seperates panama city from panama city beach. everything on beach side is going to be expensive to live and im not going to cross the bridge for work everyday. sometimes it takes 10 minutes to cross the bridge sometimes its takes over an hour. considering i cant go to work until 5, thats rush hour and id be spending way too much time sitting in traffic.
if i go 30 mins in the other direction torwards pensecola then im in bumfuck nowhere and would have to drive to get anywhere. it would suck.

Originally posted by micah@Aug 4 2005, 02:02 AM
im not going to cross the bridge for work everyday. sometimes it takes 10 minutes to cross the bridge sometimes its takes over an hour. considering i cant go to work until 5, thats rush hour and id be spending way too much time sitting in traffic.
[post=535599]Quoted post[/post]​

The traffic should usually be going the other way at 5 o'clock, shouldn't it? The only time I would think that the traffic would be flowing into the area is the morning commuters and vacationers in the summer. You should check it out. I could be completely wrong here, but sometimes you find that there's no traffic at all when you think there would be, because its heading the other direction.

And I understand what you mean now that you're "back of the house" staff and working on an hourly. I thought you were still serving and making tips. I would suggest finding a small restaurant that you can serve at and work off the books. You'll make better money and fuck the rest of us taxpayers and not have to pay income tax. :worthy:

well in this area everything dies, i mean literally dies during the offseason. 3/4 of the businesses on the beach close down. its a ghost town, as a server or any position making tips, your income takes a nosedive in the offseason.

i dunno, id like to buy a house. the house we are looking at is much bigger then our apt.

+'s
- its a house
- our own driveway not community parking
- 3br
- new
- even closer to work, would make it under a mile

-'s
- no garage
- no room to add a garage
- did i say no garage

guess ill just have to cry about not having a garage everyday :(

what ever you do, wait until AFTER this huricane season to buy a house.... cuz it might not be there in october.

uhm... LIE

you need some tax returns showing less income?
PM...

they go by current job, they dont give a shit if i just started working last month, they use your last months paystubs to figure your yearly income. they also contact work to verify pay rate and average hours worked.

i think im gonna try and lease for a year then buyout because of how this hurricane season is looking, then again next year this time will just be another hurricane season :\

granted, but this year is supposed to be the worst in 50 years or something... unless they offer some kind of hurricane ins, i would NEVER buy a house a block from the beach...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 4 2005, 09:26 AM
what ever you do, wait until AFTER this huricane season to buy a house.... cuz it might not be there in october.
[post=535649]Quoted post[/post]​
:werd:
This year is gonna be a doozy.

hell if u have insurance fuck huricanes

get the house next to the beach

great spot and u will make a killer profit selling it in a couple of years

houses under mortgage have to be covered for that stuff anyway

think im gonna lease it for a year then buy it out then a couple eyars later sell it and buy a 4br with like a 28 car garage :p

Back