My new 2010 Subaru WRX

• Thread starter Thread starter GSRCRXsi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 802
  • Views Views 105K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

All of those mods and you have not replaced your stock pickup tube?

KillerB y0

It's pretty well documented just check out the subi forums.

Yeah, I've seen all the posts. I've never heard of another car breaking oil pickup tubes... It's just so ridiculous to think about happening in a production car.

Jeff, do you have the killer B on your STi?

Like I said, I'll replace it when I put the full race header on. Since ill be under there anyway.

Speaking of. I wrapped half of the full race header.

rOEB8hk.jpg

What a fucking nightmare. It's very slow doing this. And the more you handle this stuff and bend it back and forth, it starts to break down. And the little fibers are so small and stick in your hand and get itchy like fiberglass. You can see how frayed the long tube was getting. I had to trash about 1/4 of a roll because it was so frayed and getting fibers everywhere. So now I'll have to buy another roll to finish it up.

Nope but debating it. Andrewtech said they didn't see it much on the 04-05s but 06+ it's pretty common.

Not sure if they changed them over or if its just a matter of luck.

Nice man!
Yeah I swapped mine already when I was getting my bottom end rebuilt.
Pickes: It's a quirk on some year models just like Jeffie said. Just like the infamous wastegate hairline crack on the turbo v39 and while they fixed the issue on the newer 08 models (vf48) some still had it..

For us older subie owners its a good preventative maintenance. Newer 08+ haven't heard one complaint.

I can't find any right now, but I know there have been some instances of the failure in the 08+ cars.

It's the same part number from 02-13. Maybe even earlier. It's just luck of the draw. Maybe the 2.5L motors put more stress on it somehow. Who knows. But ultimately the failure can happen in any car.

See if you can buy a broken one from someone. I think I can build a stronger one for a lot less than $180.

See if you can buy a broken one from someone. I think I can build a stronger one for a lot less than $180.

I bet I could too but time is money and the product is already great, why bother?

and this is why you pay $180 for a goddamn tube with a flange on it.

where is the competition? competition drives down prices.

brunnett welding and i have teamed up to make various parts for the mitsu and velosters, when companies are charging $150 + for a hinged strut bar and people are buying them, they will always be that expensive for a wasteful product. we're doing a solid one for $100 shipped and we can make it any color you want. ultra racing is one of those vendors that will charge a huge chunk of change for a straight bar with 2 holes in them. fuck them.

@doug why don't you just make one and sell some on ebay? i bet you could DOUBLE your money back and still be cheaper.

he wont, cause he wont accept the liability when it breaks and someone blows their motor. and it's a lot more than a "flange with a tube on it". laser cut supports, fully fabricated pickup head (not a re-used suby part), and everything is TIG welded. KillerB fabricates everything. including the flange, and include all the hardware and o-rings. all of these things add up. you may not be willing to pay for quality, but i am. hence why i bought a Full-Race header and not GT-Spec, and Feal coilovers instead of Megan racing.

competition drives prices down? maybe. but high end will always demand high end prices. full-race doesnt lower their prices to compete with ebay, because they make a far superior product. no one makes a competing oil pickup tube because theres no need. the killerb is tried and true. AFAIK they havent had a single failure.

i sure as shit would never trust a "reman'd" pickup tube from one that was broken.

heres the killerB part vs OEM.

2f07y2u.jpg

Last edited:
very good choice. $180 bucks to me was cheap insurance for a motor which costs me thousands to rebuild.

Looks good man! I'm trolling the hell out of your thread :)

Back