My new 2010 Subaru WRX

• Thread starter Thread starter GSRCRXsi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 802
  • Views Views 105K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I remember the first gen Insight out performed my 87 CRX.

just a thought.

Figured I'd post some OK pics of the new summer setup.

Yo9Js9l.jpg

jCHo4JP.jpg

RBhyAoD.jpg

Feal 441 coilovers
2011+ STi front LCAs (wider track width)
09+ FXT inner tie rods
2011+ WRX axles
-2.5 front camber
-2.5 rear camber

17x9" +44 Work Emotion CR Kai
245/40/17 Continental ExtremeContact DW

Rear fenders rolled
Fronts are untouched, but do slightly rub on larger bumps, not enough to damage the tire though. These tires only have one more season left in them, so I think I'm going to leave the fenders be for now.

I really want to go up to 255 width tires, and it shouldn't be a problem for the rear, I have plenty of room now, but the fronts, with the wider track width, will be troublesome. I'll have to add more camber and/or roll/pull the front fenders. I really don't want to do more than a roll in the front and not crazy about adding more camber either :/

It's going to roll over 100k in the next day or so :). Will need to do the timing belt and water pump soon. I've noticed that if I'm stopped on an incline the car starts to overheat, but if I give it gas (not moving) the temps drop. So I think it's about time for the water pump.

fixed the clunk in the front. loose swaybar endlink. much nicer to drive now not sounding like someone is beating on the underside with a hammer.

noticed the inside tire is wearing pretty good. i do have a good bit of camber -2.5 at all corners, but toe was set to 0 all around. must have gotten out of whack. oh well. the front pass side is the worst, and the rest show wear but not as bad. partially my fault for being lazy and not rotating the tires. the tires only had about 3-4/32 left at the begining of the season anyway (April-ish) so i knew this was the end for them.

trying to decide whether i should waste my money on an alignment right now, or just rotate and pray they last. im going to get an alignment when i swap back to the winter suspension/wheels in a few months anyway. ideally id like to ride it out until then, then just trash these tires and buy a new set.

Im also unsure what tires i should get. ive been looking into if there are any tires that provide a better bang for the buck than these continental DWs. so far its a tall order. sure there are better performing tires, that wont last as long, or tires that may perform better across the board and last just as long or longer, but are WAYY more expensive. the ONLY complaint ive had with the DWs, and its not even really a complaint, is the soft sidewall.

im looking for a good all around SUMMER tire that excels in ALL of these areas, ordered in importance

Price
Life
dry grip
wet grip
ride noise
ride comfort

Ive looked at :
Conti DWs (245 or 255/40/17, currently on the 245s, 340 UTQG)
Goodyear Asymmetric 2s (close out pricing on TR now)
Federal 595RS-R (uber cheap, but im weary of the life 140 UTQG, not offered in 245/40, these run wide, many claim the 235/40 will be wide enough, maybe wider than 245 contis)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=54WR7Z2&tab=Specs

They run wide, so 255 might not fit, but the 245 is the same price. Lots of people get 30k miles out of a set of these tires.

They're awesome in the dry, better than most in the wet, quieter than most all seasons, and you won't feel a difference in comfort with your suspension.

When pavement temps get above 70F, you'll feel like you're glued to the road. When the drop below about 50F, you'll get awesome gas milage, but it's like driving on hockey pucks. At about 32F, you're going to wish you'd walked to work.

more than id really like to spend, especially when the federals are near 100/tire.

but im also a little weary of that design for wet grip, with no channels from the center of the tire to the edge, seems like they will hydroplane pretty bad.

and how can you say people get 30k out of them, when they have only been available for a few months? no one has driven on them that much.

more than id really like to spend, especially when the federals are near 100/tire.

but im also a little weary of that design for wet grip, with no channels from the center of the tire to the edge, seems like they will hydroplane pretty bad.

and how can you say people get 30k out of them, when they have only been available for a few months? no one has driven on them that much.

So spend $100/ea and get some cooper tires, or whatever costco sells. I don't understand cheaping out on rubber when you've put so much into the rest of the suspension.

The tires are good, GRM reviewed them, autocrossers have been using them all season, and take a look at the Pro Solo National standings. There are two people on the GRM boards who have worn out the z2 tires already, at around 30k. I can't get to that board from work, because it's blocked., but I believe they autocrossed and daily drove them.

With 9" wide wheels, you should be running a 255 or 265 tire, not a 245, unless you like that stretched VW look. Those Federal tires are GARBAGE. They're a tire designed for drifting... Heat them up, and they'll let go.

If all you want to spend is $500 (shipped) you need to look at something that isn't going to give you the grip or the life:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...YR7HTRZ3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R7K110XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

well you're recommending a streetable autox tire when i DD it lol. i dont need something with all that grip and less life at a higher price. and ill never autox it.

im looking for bang for the buck. so far, DWs are hard to beat for all around performance without going more expensive. thats what im looking for. a better tire, for the same or less cost than the DWs, but not costing more.

i have 245 tires because i originally had them on 8" wide wheels, and they bulged/pinched. i bought the 9" wheels and swapped the tires over. then they were a tad stretched. but these tires run narrow, and even now its only a little stretch, but i agree that i would prefer no stretch. a different/wider 245 would likely be more square. but im keeping my eyes open.

sumitomos are at the right price, but V12s are garbage.
i wouldnt say the federal 595 RS-R is garbage, the RS and SS maybe, but not the RS-R. from the reviews on NASIOC, the RS-Rs are giving similar perfomance to Z2s at a much cheaper price. my only want, is that they were carried by TR so we could have a direct comparison.

federals: http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/federal/255%252F40-17+federal+595+rs-r+racing+94w+bsw.html

Last edited:
Im VERY happy with my DW tires, I've heard great things about the DWS tires as an all season option.

Price isn't too bad on them either, at least vs the pilot sports.

look into dunlop direzza dz-101's. my brother runs them on his civic and my friend runs them on his wrx. they are an awesome tire for the money.

Hey, I've got some steelies with good tires I could trade you for... jk.

I can't believe how long this thread has been going for. I always amuse myself when I realize how long I've been on this board for.

7.9 on sound based on TireRack.com so not bad for a cheaper tire.

After having a loud set of tires I now look at road noise reviews before anything else.

Back