My new 2010 Subaru WRX

• Thread starter Thread starter GSRCRXsi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 802
  • Views Views 105K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ian, I've got dynotune guages if you need some ;)

I'll post pics, video and numbers from the dyno session tomorrow.

What happened to your car Taco? And what happened to Jeffies?

Tuning is going well.

So far its made 300hp/360trq.

Fuel pump is struggling at high RPMs. Fuel pressure Dropping off sharply consistently at about 6500rpm when the pump starts to fail at the fueling demands. Rather than add more duty cycle, I'm just going to have them throw in a walbro fuel pump and finish it up. I really don't want to chance it.

They have other cars to finish before getting back to tuning mine so they will finish mine last.

I'll update with final results.

Oh and their dyno is a fully enclosed room or "cell". They have a HUGE compressor and turbine setup that basically turns the room into a wind tunnel and they tune with the hood closed. Making a more realistic tune.

Taco tacoed his car and mine is just fine, he's picking on my 4th gear grind that the 6 sp trannies come with.

Pretty closer numbers to what mine is making.

Some pics.

FrveAH0.jpg

Air comes in here:
l8KB7oi.jpg

And gets pulled out here:
XK0qwRU.jpg

The compressor inlet (gf next to it for reference):
fA9ArDU.jpg

But she's asian, so that's no real scale reference. :P

not bad for just a grocery getter.

VTs are close to 300whp on stock internals. nobody knows what the limit is yet.

Final numbers are the same as before 300/360. Peak boost of 22psi tapering to about 15psi by 7000 rpm.

BUT there's lots more hp and trq than before and the fuel pressure looks a lot better. About 25hp and 50trq better at 3000 rpm with the new pump.

Here's a graph. And when I get the raw files from the shop I'll post up a lot more data for comparison.

PixU0hL.jpg

So my guess is 6 months max.

Before new turbo.

im going to keep it stock for a while. its my daily driver now. really the only thing im interested in doing is maybe smoking out the tail lights (not feeling the altezza look) maybe a tint, and maybe a modest drop, like 1".

Edit 10/05/2013:

Current Mod List...

quoted for teh lulz

So my guess is 6 months max.

Before new turbo.

LOL. honestly it'll probably be longer than that. unless the turbo blows up or something. i need to pay off the bill for the build, and pay off the car. probably at least a year.

ive already got plans for the new turbo setup though. and it will be epic. it will utilize a lot of the stuff i already have. but probably need a new up-pipe and downpipe.

Borg-Warner turbo (internally gated, havent decided on twinscroll or not)
V-banded downpipe
new up-pipe, possibly modify my current up-pipe if i decide on single scroll
IAG fuel rails
IAG TGV deletes
maybe some phenolic IM spacers
maybe a fabbed up intake (possibly utilizing the IB "magic" intake ;) )
re-tuned with Speed Density (elimintates the need for MAF sensor)

these new BW turbos are really sweet. their internal gate is a MUCH better design, and almost eliminates boost creep and improves overall performance vs other designs. from what ive seen, the spool is crazy good too without sacrificing much/any top end power. AND they have an internal BPV on the compressor housing, eliminating the need for an external BPV on the intercooler.

id only be shooting for something like 400/400, but with stock spool. but this is all just me dreaming now.

sorry for the big pic, but i wanted to show everything with sufficient resolution for those that would want to see it. going into the tuning session, Jorge warned me that i would be taxing the stock fuel pump pretty hard, and likely to failure at some point. and he sure wasnt kidding. after getting a bunch of runs in, he showed me the pump strugging to maintain fuel pressure, especially at high RPMs and it was causing misfires. so, he tuned a few other cars while IAG threw in the new pump and he finished up my tune last.

here is the dyno plot. the run conditions are listed for comparison. these runs were made approx 6hrs apart. the ONLY change between the runs (besides ambient conditions) was swapping the stock fuel pump out for a Walbro255, and then some touching up. note, 29 runs on the stock pump to hash out 95% of the tune, then only 3 more runs to touch it up.

ive added on graphs of Fuel pressure, AFR, and Boost. final tune is bolded (obvious)

HP_TRQ_WRX_10_05_13.jpg

I'd like to point out that the dyno wasn't using any correction for atmospheric conditions, so you gained a little more than you think.

Back