My new 2010 Subaru WRX

• Thread starter Thread starter GSRCRXsi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 802
  • Views Views 105K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That oil pickup tube sure is easy to install once the motor is out lol.

As of today:

ZTYobCK.jpg

car is done! they are putting some break-in miles on it. i'll most likely pick it up friday.

I dropped it off last Wednesday. They started on it Thursay, and had the motor out of the car by the end of The day.

So 6 days working on it (closed on Sundays). They definitely are not slow with work. They just have a solid crew of techs and specialized techs, for example the guy building my motor was their builder, not the same guy who pulled the motor.

IAG is routinely booked up 4-5 weeks in advance depending what you want done. I made my initial appointment 5 weeks in advance (for just the timing belt service), then had them move me earlier a week when I found out about the Headgasket. That was the earliest they could do it.

I've been dealing without having a car for like 3 weeks now. I parked it as soon as I confirmed the hg was the problem to avoid any further damage. Had to wait another week and a half until my appointment, then they had the car for another week.

Last edited:
pretty much the same with ECS up here. they have monkey wrenchers, and then the guys that actually do the builds. pretty standard for most good shops i think.

On old school motors (ie. carbs) the air pump was used to supply a constant flow of fresh air to the catalytic converter to keep it lit.

On modern motors the air pump is normally ran for a short period on a cold start to help light the cat and deal with the rich mixture for cold starts.

Most modern vehicles run the air pump for all of 60-90 seconds.

P.S gotta love EPA bs...

i have the car back now :)

image.jpg

car is on a safe basemap until my tuning session. 4k rev limit, no/low boost. given instructions to try to vary RPMs and engine brake when possible.

first impressions:

there is VERY little room left in the engine bay lol
clutch is a bit more grabby, will need to get used to that
engine is louder, but typical with forged pistons
throttle response is good, very good. its almost hard to keep it out of boost.
car definitely sounds different with equal length headers. does NOT sound like a Honda like people say, sounds deep and smooth. basically the same, just no "rumble"

they can probably get me in next weekend, but unfortunately i have plans :/. the next tuning session is Nov 2nd. (they fly in a tuner from CA once a month).

Sweeet. I always feel better driving a car with new forged pistons. The noise on warmup is comforting for whatever reason. :D

I think you're getting screwed dude. Engines have to be run hard to break them in. If someone told me that I had to baby the engine for 3000 miles, I'd tell them to piss off. You paid thousands of dollars to get IAG (the golden calf of the subaru community in the NE, lol, if you exclude andrewtech) to build this engine "the IAG way" and now they're telling you to limit your power output.

Did they take a dyno pull for a base run/ring break-in right after building it? You never answered on jabber.

It's curious that all engines EXCEPT for consumer cars, motorcycles, and trucks you run it like you normally would during break in. Airplanes, heavy equipment, generators, except for 2-stroke, you run as you normally would during break-in.

up here at ECS, they break in and tune the car on the dyno. None of that silly grace period. but on the other hand - their subaru tuner is in house.

Back