New Rav 4

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

corvetteguy78

VIP
So, i had a 2019 Rav 4 Adventure that i was leasing but ended up giving it to the wife after her Civic lease was up late in 2019. A few weeks ago we were talking about just buying it out with 12 months left on the lease because we both really love it and she wanted to keep it so there was no point in continuing the lease. It only had 14000 miles on it. Out of the blue Middletown Toyota(where we got it) calls me telling me they want to buy the car and that Toyota will waive the 12 months of the lease payments plus the $850 in car taxes we owed. So we hopped on down there just to see what was up. Our pay off was $25k. KBB showed dealer trade in value at like $25,500 - $27,211. They gave us top trade in value.

We ended up working out a deal on a pretty loaded up 2021 Rav 4 Hybrid XSE. It didn't make sense to get into another strictly gas model, we would of just bought her car out. But since hybrids and electrics are the way of the future we went with a hybrid. She will keep this car for at least 10 years. With the ability to work from home this car will probably never see 100,000 miles.

I did learn about the Rav 4 Prime which is the plug-in hybrid model but there was a 8 month wait on them. It also qualifies for the $7500 Fed Tax credit. My 19 Tiguan lease is up 12/2022. There will be a lot of intriguing cars out there. Since a lot of car manufactures are committing to electric or at least hybrid, ill be going either hybrid or electric. But the Rav 4 Prime is on the top of the list.

20210220_135413.jpg

no they are hybrid shocks.

i think this is the only XSE model toyota offers without a manual.

Yep, electric is absolutely the way of the future. Autonomous functionality too. I recruit engineers for Toyota and Chrysler and at least half of their orders these days are for electric powertrain engineers/programmers and autonomous systems engineers. Within 5 years most new cars are going to have Tesla-style autopilot features.

deathoftheautomobile

a buddy of mine, who had 3 bmw's prior, just bought a top of the line model 3.
he said going from the 2017 bmw to the 2020 model 3 was like going from a razor to an iphone in 2006.

I busted his stones saying, congrats, you just went from the ultimate driving machine to the ultimate passenger machine.

drivers wanted? who was that? vw?

Yep, electric is absolutely the way of the future. Autonomous functionality too. I recruit engineers for Toyota and Chrysler and at least half of their orders these days are for electric powertrain engineers/programmers and autonomous systems engineers. Within 5 years most new cars are going to have Tesla-style autopilot features.
Yea..see...that's what i have been reading. It just doesn't make sense to buy a full on ICE car at this point, or in my opinion anyway. I'll have to see what's out there by Christmas of 2022. I think the Rav 4 is the front runner because i want an SUV and but I also think I'd rather go full electric than hybrid so the VW ID4 is really appealing as well.. I'm hoping the Federal Tax credit doesn't disappear by then as well. That $7500 is a big selling point. It makes the Rav 4 Prime XSE as much as our new Rav 4 XSE Hybrid.

deathoftheautomobile

a buddy of mine, who had 3 bmw's prior, just bought a top of the line model 3.
he said going from the 2017 bmw to the 2020 model 3 was like going from a razor to an iphone in 2006.

I busted his stones saying, congrats, you just went from the ultimate driving machine to the ultimate passenger machine.

drivers wanted? who was that? vw?
I'd say the E90 to F30 was the big change from ultimate driving to ultimate passenger when they added electric steering.

The adas level 2 features are better and there are some environment factors that make it Adas level 3. We had a 2013 and its not very different than the new besides interior layout and infotainment improvement. Power plant is roughly the same, Same lack of steering feel, etc.

Yea..see...that's what i have been reading. It just doesn't make sense to buy a full on ICE car at this point, or in my opinion anyway. I'll have to see what's out there by Christmas of 2022. I think the Rav 4 is the front runner because i want an SUV and but I also think I'd rather go full electric than hybrid so the VW ID4 is really appealing as well.. I'm hoping the Federal Tax credit doesn't disappear by then as well. That $7500 is a big selling point. It makes the Rav 4 Prime XSE as much as our new Rav 4 XSE Hybrid.
I think outside of Tesla, only Chevy and Porsche have a strong full electric.

His and hers RAV4's.

Might I suggest C8 with a V8...
Well....yeah...a c8 would be fantastic. But I need a practical car and again...buying a 100% ICE car doesn't really make sense anymore. The C9 will probably be electric though. I'm really hoping for slew of electric choices by 12/2022, especially from Toyota. My 2019 Tiguan SEL R-line is already worthless with under 14000 miles on it. It was the same price as my 2019 Rav Adventure we traded in and its worth $6000 less on trade in with less miles on it. It may end up being Matching his and hers Rav 4's

i thought you were referring to partial EV vs gas

Well....yeah...a c8 would be fantastic. But I need a practical car and again...buying a 100% ICE car doesn't really make sense anymore. The C9 will probably be electric though. I'm really hoping for slew of electric choices by 12/2022, especially from Toyota. My 2019 Tiguan SEL R-line is already worthless with under 14000 miles on it. It was the same price as my 2019 Rav Adventure we traded in and its worth $6000 less on trade in with less miles on it. It may end up being Matching his and hers Rav 4's
I mean I get where you're coming from...but at the same time it's not like you keep cars very long, and realistically who's buying a car as an investment anyways? I was cycling thru leases every 2/3 years for the last decade or so, it is what it is. You know you're losing money on the deal from the get go, the tradeoff is you're always driving something new and not dealing with repairs etc. Whether it holds value or not isn't really a valid concern on a lease IMO. I'm finally at the point now with my Gladiator that I'm gonna buy this one and keep it. Mostly because it's awesome and has 3 pedals, and I know the days of these dinosaurs are numbered, but also because in a few years when it's paid off, the house will be paid off, my son should be on his own (hopefully), and we can go shopping for a fun weekend/summer car, and the Jeep will continue to get me back and forth to work and through the winters. The fact that it holds its value better than almost anything else on the road is a side benefit I guess.

Maybe I'm in the minority here (I hope not), but I'm not really in a rush to have an electric car that drives me around town. I prefer to shift gears and drive myself.

Maybe I'm in the minority here (I hope not), but I'm not really in a rush to have an electric car that drives me around town. I prefer to shift gears and drive myself.

i am not looking forward to this future at all.

I think there will always be a population that views cars as transportation and others (us) that view it as freedom/adventure/excitement/insert adjective here

i am fine with it. i only really drive myself around, and the girls.... to keep my wife from running into shit.

I'm definitely not in a rush for an electric car, but i also feel like it's not really a choice anymore. Every major car manufacture is committed to electric cars. It's the future so we just have to deal with it. ICE cars will be obsolete in our lifetime, there is no question. People got a head start with their Tesla's, what..10, 11 years ago. It's time to adapt to this new technology.

I'm definitely not in a rush for an electric car, but i also feel like it's not really a choice anymore. Every major car manufacture is committed to electric cars. It's the future so we just have to deal with it. ICE cars will be obsolete in our lifetime, there is no question. People got a head start with their Tesla's, what..10, 11 years ago. It's time to adapt to this new technology.
Yeah. No.

I get what you're saying. I just choose not to be a sheeple. Hell I'm old enough that if I play my cards right I might be able to nurse one of these dead-dino burners long enough I never have to make that choice.

I also think that electric cars are our future but in my humble opinion hydrogen cars can also become our future since they have some advantages over electric cars. It will be really interesting to watch this weird battle between the 2 technologies.

I also think that electric cars are our future but in my humble opinion hydrogen cars can also become our future since they have some advantages over electric cars. It will be really interesting to watch this weird battle between the 2 technologies.
No one is really on board with Hydrogen cars. There are like what, 3 Hydrogen cars on the market from Toyota, Hyundai and Honda and they are all sold in California and there almost no infrastructure for refueling. Everyone is betting on Electric. It's kind of like the battle between the Kindle and Nook where Kindle is the Electric car and Nook is Hydrogen car and the Kindle won that battle. Or the Apple ipod vs the MS Zune player.

It seems like Hydrogen would be a better solution but it also seems like it cost way more to build than Electric technology. I had stock back in 2006 -2008 in a hydrogen company but it went belly up in the economic collapse of 2008. I really thought it was going to take off, it had so much promise. I remember this company had the world record for unmanned zero emission jet wing aircraft longest flight backed by NASA and the US Airforce. They had everything from rechargeable batteries, to generators, cars , trucking fleets, trains, to full on power plants. They even had little small scale kits you could buy for learning and teaching about hydrogen power you can teach in schools or self learn.

I don't know, I just don't see anywhere near the same push for Hydrogen as we do for Electric. And obviously Elon Musk trashed hydrogen tech.

Back