New to HS! 1991 Civic hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JermBizzle

VIP
If this is the wrong section to post this in, I apologize but I didn't see a section for newbs.

Hello all, my name is Jeremey. I'm from a small town in eastern TN called Kingsport....if you're any bit familiar with nascar racing and Bristol, TN., i'm about 20 minutes from there. Enough about me, lol.

I have a 1991 Honda Civic hatch that started out as a STD. model, STD meaning that it basically had what you need to drive the car in moderate comfort and that was about it haha. I first got this car in February of '03 with 149,917 miles on it from a small dealer. It was completely stock (1.5L 4-speed manual) had no problems except for a leaky radiator, I told the salesman about it and he had it replaced immediately.

Here is the first picture I have of the engine, I wasn't really into what was under the hood the first few years I owned it, so this picture is probably after at least two years of owning it, as you can see, clean as can be...oh how that will change.

IM000464.jpg

Long story short, I went through a ricer "car club" phase as I call it, had a fartcan, huge rear "club sticker", shitty ass coilovers on blown struts and some nice Enkie wheels....thats all it had for a couple more years.

I then got interested in the whole jdm craze and took all the ricer shit off the car, save for the chitty coilovers lol...I was so dumb, but I liked how the car sat and didn't have money to get anything else.

This is one of my favorite pics of the car, ever.

IM000712.jpg

Then I got into an unfortunate accident (the civic wasn't involved), was almost killed and got a decent amount of settlement money....most of which I blindly put into this car lol.

So onto the current list of mods:

Mechanical:
1st gen b16a w/ys1 lsd tranny
AEM CAI/Integra Type R header/Apexi Worldsport 2 catback exhaust (love it)
Exedy Cerametallic Clutch/Exedy Race Flywheel
Fluidyne full-core aluminum radiator
Hasport Motor Mounts

Here's a few pictures from the motor swap process.
Picture007.jpg

Picture009.jpg

llklk.jpg

Suspension:
Koni Yellow struts/H&R Race springs
Feel's front-upper strut bar
EM Racing rear-upper strut/C-pillar/Triangulating bar
Suspension Techniques 7/8" F&R swaybars (just purchased last week - not yet installed)
Earl's SS lines
Rear drum-to-disc conversion using '90-93 Integra pieces (used all integra control arms except for the compensator arm for a slightly wider stance)

A few pics from the disc conversion and suspension install:

In this pic you can sort of see how the rear tires stick out just a little more than normal
new5.jpg

susp1.jpg

m.jpg

Wheels & Tires
GSR fat fives
205/50/15 Falken Azenis RT-615 tires

Picture048.jpg

Appearance:
SiR front-end conversion
SiR rear wing
SiR center garnish
Vis carbon fiber SiR hood

And heres pictures from the front end swap process:

frontend21.jpg

All torn apart
frontend2.jpg

Starting to come back together
almost.jpg

Finished
sir12.jpg

front.jpg

4214.jpg

4219.jpg

c8a4986235c4.jpg

Timeslip & other info.:
The quickest i've ran in the 1/4 is 15.03 @ 91 with a shitty 2.6 60'. The track I was running at is a very nice facility but the prep sucks when they allow streetcars to run.

The car has dynoed 158hp/113tq with the CAI/stock manifold/Apexi....its been dynoed a few different times and has always been within a few hp and tq, so its reliable.

A few more random vids & pics

Emo-esque pic but i'm really not emo lol, I just love my car
l_a4a2459fc3e4fe3914c5ec69513d1821.jpg

IMG_9977.jpg

100b2640.jpg

All the wakaba's and all that are gone now, too gay
IMG_0413.jpg

IM000734.jpg

ChiChi - my guardian
chichi2.jpg

Sorry for making this so long, but i've had the car for a while now and have a lot to show & tell about it, its my baby! I could sit here for another hour and put things about the car in here but this is just some of the more interesting things thats happened over the years.

I hope to get to know lots of you guys and gals! ;)

Last edited:
welcome to Hondaswap. great looking car. you should do a full build up thread like mine so that people can refrence yours to help them out. i think you will provide a nice amount of info on here. we have alot of guys new to the whole Honda thing.

Noticed Feels parts, awesome.
Elder Driver badge, i also have one and like mine.

everyone i think went through the ricer phase, i did and hate to admit it.

i used to live in columbia tn. and would radomly go driving due to the fact tn. has awesome roads.

Last where did you get the Honda Primo banner?

welcome to Hondaswap. great looking car. you should do a full build up thread like mine so that people can refrence yours to help them out. i think you will provide a nice amount of info on here. we have alot of guys new to the whole Honda thing.

Noticed Feels parts, awesome.
Elder Driver badge, i also have one and like mine.

everyone i think went through the ricer phase, i did and hate to admit it.

i used to live in columbia tn. and would radomly go driving due to the fact tn. has awesome roads.

Last where did you get the Honda Primo banner?

Thanks man yeah i'm no expert but I know a little about the 88-91 civics...thats really the only honda i've had a lot of experience with. Yeah i've had quite a few rare parts for the car such as the feel's bar but i've parted ways with most of them. At one point, I had a J's Racing valvecover ($400+), 2 NIB EF9 J's Racing lips (sold both for lots of $$ :)), i've had all kinds of junk that just wasn't worth putting on my car because it sees lots of use and abuse and I don't want to trash nice parts.

I got the Honda Primo banner from jdmland.com, also known as icbmotorsports.

Nicly done. sounds great.

Thanks! The exhaust is one of my favorite parts on the car.

Nice car, I would suggest urethane bushings. Your car will feel so much tighter on those turns

Thanks! And yep, after the swaybars, I plan on biting the bullet and getting a full prothane kit....its just going to be a bitch replacing them all lol....part of owning an old car though!

Welp, i'm in the proess of trying to swap out ignition switches, the lock cylinder and all that. I got a new cylinder and harness and all that shiz that goes along with it, got everything hooked back up, steering wheel and all that mess. I go to start the car, and it won't start, the wheel won't unlock. So I had to take all the shit back off and now im waiting on an off day to take the part back and just go buy a new one...the salvage yard is a honda-only yard and they've done me really well in the past, and who knows with a part like this I guess whether it'll last 5 mins. or 5 months. Oh well, i'll get a new one this time!

Looks nice I just bought the same car has the d15 except mine came with a 5 speed trany. bought it for 200 and have spent too much money to get it running right. so now im stuck with it when i could of saved up and bought something in way better shape. Anyway I like how your cars sounds. Here is a pic of mine .Hope to have it running as good as yours some day.

hatch.jpg

Looks nice I just bought the same car has the d15 except mine came with a 5 speed trany. bought it for 200 and have spent too much money to get it running right. so now im stuck with it when i could of saved up and bought something in way better shape. Anyway I like how your cars sounds. Here is a pic of mine .Hope to have it running as good as yours some day.

Cool man that looks pretty nice! Any rust on the other 1/4 panel? Looks like the left side of the body is at least in good shape! Thanks for the compliment! Yeah the exhaust is again the Apexi Worldsport 2, if you want one, INLINEFOUR.COM - Mon.~Sat. 9:30am~6:30pm PST - 7242 Garden Grove Blvd. Westminster, Ca. 92683 has them! They aren't cheap but I wanted a quality exhaust and one that was on the quieter side of things.

Welp, i'm in the proess of trying to swap out ignition switches, the lock cylinder and all that. I got a new cylinder and harness and all that shiz that goes along with it, got everything hooked back up, steering wheel and all that mess. I go to start the car, and it won't start, the wheel won't unlock. So I had to take all the shit back off and now im waiting on an off day to take the part back and just go buy a new one...the salvage yard is a honda-only yard and they've done me really well in the past, and who knows with a part like this I guess whether it'll last 5 mins. or 5 months. Oh well, i'll get a new one this time!

How did you get the break head bolts off?

How did you get the break head bolts off?

Used a dremel and cut a slot into the bolts, cut the right size into the bolts and use the right straight screwdriver and they'll come off pretty easily. There's not many other ways I can think of to get them off, seriously.

I am about to do the same thing, probably today if I can get off my lazy ass. This addictive internet doesnt help much either.

Have fun! I'd remove the steering wheel (19mm), gauge bezel and the gauge cluster for better access, made life a lot easier for me!

Cool man that looks pretty nice! Any rust on the other 1/4 panel? Looks like the left side of the body is at least in good shape! Thanks for the compliment! Yeah the exhaust is again the Apexi Worldsport 2, if you want one, INLINEFOUR.COM - Mon.~Sat. 9:30am~6:30pm PST - 7242 Garden Grove Blvd. Westminster, Ca. 92683 has them! They aren't cheap but I wanted a quality exhaust and one that was on the quieter side of things.

It does not have any rust that i have seen maybe under the carpet because owner had broken the side window b4 and it rained. the front right panel has two wholes for some reason. one on the top side which looks like it could of been for an antena and on the side for like a side marker or something. other side looks decent. paint job looks home made and not well done thats why you see all the chiping on the bumber and other parts. Thanx for the link. well i wouldn't put any exhaust yet till i get an engine swap and anyways it already had one when i bought it. Here is a pic i dont know if its an actual exhaust or just the piping to make it sound louder.
bro.jpg

It does not have any rust that i have seen maybe under the carpet because owner had broken the side window b4 and it rained. the front right panel has two wholes for some reason. one on the top side which looks like it could of been for an antena and on the side for like a side marker or something. other side looks decent. paint job looks home made and not well done thats why you see all the chiping on the bumber and other parts. Thanx for the link. well i wouldn't put any exhaust yet till i get an engine swap and anyways it already had one when i bought it. Here is a pic i dont know if its an actual exhaust or just the piping to make it sound louder.

Yeah i'd check under the carpet for rust, you don't want the floor to fall out from under ya lol. Looks like the exhaust has factory piping back to the muffler and a "cherry bomb" style exhaust. The tip looks as though it has some kind of engraving on it, check to see what that says, it may be an axle back.

Yeah i'd check under the carpet for rust, you don't want the floor to fall out from under ya lol. Looks like the exhaust has factory piping back to the muffler and a "cherry bomb" style exhaust. The tip looks as though it has some kind of engraving on it, check to see what that says, it may be an axle back.
Haha lol yeah i dont wana be falling throught the floor on the freeway specialy since i have the cheap bumpy coil overs. It says brospeed on the exhaust. never heard of it but not sure if just the tip is brospeed cuz it looks like the tip is welded ontop of the piping.

Hey man,

I like your swap!! I got a couple questions....

1)How much was the fluidyne radiator? I've spend a nice chunk of change on 2, thats right 2 radiators that won't clear my hood.

2) Do you have plenty of clearance between the radiator and the engine block to possibly add a t3/t4 turbo?( Just because your setup is exactly like mine but I want to make sure I have enough room to add a turbo)

3) I noticed that you took out the old traction bar and installed a racing traction bar. Is yours from Full-race or ETD?

4) Did you uninstall the A/C condenser yourself or did you take it to a shop?

Back