Raising minimum wage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I need to move back to the service industry. I find with a salary, I have motivation enough to not get fired. What I really need to learn how to do is sell.

Ive never made minimum wage. BUT, I got my first job by demonstrating my skill, on my time, for free. My (would be) boss approached me and asked a few questions and offered me a job on the spot. Ive also got 3 jobs since then, on the spot, the same way.

I worked my ass off and focused to be able to do that. And guess what, 3 of those 4 jobs never paid $15 an hour. Those were skilled jobs too. Machining, welding, fabricating, even design and R&D. Im not sayin I should have been paid more. Im sayin any minimum wage jod, is not worth that level of pay.

I made below minimum wage ($5.50/hr) at my first job when I worked at a restaurant at 15 (parental waiver to let you work before 16, but that also means they can pay you below minimum wage). I wasn't entitled, my boss said I was one of his hardest workers. In fact I busted my ass more at that job than I do now and I make about 600% more (I played Hawken during a conference call today).

I need to move back to the service industry. I find with a salary, I have motivation enough to not get fired. What I really need to learn how to do is sell.

Sounds like you got a shit team and lack of opportunity.

Sounds like you got a shit team and lack of opportunity.
Well I'm in a form of accounting that I don't want to stay in, so working for advancement is changing a flat on a totaled car.

Before you click this link, ask yourself, what % of workers actually work for minimum wage?

Hint: it's much less than you think, which is why adjustments to minimum wage have no macroeconomic impact.

Raising the minimum wage puts a few extra bucks in the pockets of a tiny group of unskilled, mostly part-time workers.

I think when people discuss minimum wage they picture Joe Manufacturing and Service-Industry Sandy busting their asses at full time jobs making minimum wage, but it's not those people.

It's Fucktard Freddy and Cum Dumpster Cathleen that work 10 hours a week at the sunglasses kiosk in the mall...

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/19/who-makes-minimum-wage/

thats the number of workers making min wage. how many are making between 7.26 and 10.99/hr right now? im sure that low percentage will jump up a good bit. enough to make an impact on inflation. and dont pretend for a min that big corporations arent going to take any chance they get to raise prices. this min wage hike doesnt just affect the people making the bare min wage, but the ones in between too. i know a lot of people making less than 11/hr but more than min wage. none of them are in a job the deserves more than what its paying.
and this is talking about a 51% raise in the min wage. thats quite the jump. god forbid these people actually try to get the $15 min wage idea that is trying to spread.

At $15/hour, prices would go up, 9 out of 10 employees would be fired, and everywhere would have self checkout with the remaining employee monitoring. Forget the wage and price bump, just fire the jackasses and let me do it myself.

thats the number of workers making min wage. how many are making between 7.26 and 10.99/hr right now? im sure that low percentage will jump up a good bit. enough to make an impact on inflation. and dont pretend for a min that big corporations arent going to take any chance they get to raise prices. this min wage hike doesnt just affect the people making the bare min wage, but the ones in between too. i know a lot of people making less than 11/hr but more than min wage. none of them are in a job the deserves more than what its paying.
and this is talking about a 51% raise in the min wage. thats quite the jump. god forbid these people actually try to get the $15 min wage idea that is trying to spread.

That's an excellent point.

At $15/hour, prices would go up, 9 out of 10 employees would be fired, and everywhere would have self checkout with the remaining employee monitoring. Forget the wage and price bump, just fire the jackasses and let me do it myself.

i hate those damn self checkout machines.
i go to an actual person unless the lines are just too damn long. i prefer interaction.
plus, 9 times out of 10, something i scan doesnt scan correctly and i have to wait for the attendant. who is never actually attending their station.
then, you constantly hear the "PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA" immediately after scanning it.
then, if the item doesnt register on the scale, you now have to wait for the non present attendant to arrive to put the special code in.

I prefer the self checkout at the grocery store a 1/4 mile from my house. Its the friendliest employee in the store and its usually faster. Its a union grocery store so there isn't much incentive to bust your ass or give great service.

I agree with invisible that it will effect more than just the lowest earners, it will cause some other wages to go up.

It will cause any wage between minimum and the new wage to go up. If it is going to increase, a stepped implementation would be ideal.

I DESPISE the automated checkouts. They always fuck up. Can't read a code, don't take a coupon, etc etc etc.... I always end up swearing at the fucking thing and chasing down a person to fix it anyway.

Guess I've been lucky. I love self-checkout. And touch pads for ordering food. Sadly, a machine doesn't make it yet, because my order is still often wrong.

I DESPISE the automated checkouts. They always fuck up. Can't read a code, don't take a coupon, etc etc etc.... I always end up swearing at the fucking thing and chasing down a person to fix it anyway.

I hate the new Bank ATM Machines. In the old days, you put your money and checks into an envelope and type in the amount...now..the machine tries to read your checks and money and IT NEVER WORKS. 50 bills at a time my ass, it can barely read more than 2 bills at a time without an error. And forget money orders....it never reads them. A quick trip to the ATM Machine turns into a 15 minute nightmare

hrm, I've had good luck with the atms and check reading, actually. even hand-written ones. I never deposit cash though... usually just taking it out at the atm. I hate envelopes. licking glue that's been outside that some crack head could have pissed on... ugh...

I must say, I prefer the self check out, and the new atm's.

I can check myself out very quick and I know the dude that works the self checkout, so he usually clears my crap incredibly quick. There is a group of roughly 12 of them at my local quality food center and there are never any lines. For booze, I just give him the nod and I keep on scanning. I also am a bit granola and I bring my own bags. So following the trader joes method of bagging my own S is pretty easy and quick.

We have a bank in our building and 2 atm's and I always prefer to go to the ATM than wait in line for them to look up accounts, etc. It's much more conveninent.

Have you ever thought about the impact of not using a human?

By using an automated device, you've allowed the company to do the same work and increase profit while taking a job away from someone.

If you want to bring jobs back, stop using automated devices.
Demand a human.

i prefer the self checkout almost 100% of the time. it's ALWAYS faster. it infuriates me that the local Walmart doesnt have a self checkout. i always only buy like 1-3 things on the rare occasions that i go. the cashiers at the regular lines are ungodly slow, the customers at said lines are ungodly slow (rooting through their purse for cash, or arguing over a price), and the "express" line is always filled with people with obviously over the number of items limited. but the cashier doesnt do shit. theres literally no way to get in and out fast, which as a man, is my goal 100% of the time.

whenever i see someone having a problem with the self checkout machine, its 99% of the time an ID-10T or PEBKAC error... only time ive ever needed assistance was showing my ID for buying booze.

i dont care if it's giving people jobs. its less efficient. those jobs can be routed to an assembly line worker making the machines that replaced their old job.

Back