Sears AND Kenmore rant

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
Yeah, this is a rant thread. :lol:

SO, the wife and I buy a nice new washer/dryer after our wedding 1/5/07. We picked up a Kenmore HE2T washer and dryer. It was just over $2100 delivered for the pair. I read reviews on it and they were mixed but a lot of the negatives seemed like dumb shit to me. And in hind sight, none were actually about our problem with it anyway.

Anyways, this past weekend we got a wicked Thunderstorm, power went out like usual.....takes a light breeze to knock our power out (rolls eyes). The wife goes to do laundry yesterday (of course we need to do it BADLY too), and the fucking washer wont start. She calls me and says it wont work. I tell her to pull the plug, let it sit then try again. No change...

I get home and go right to the washer. Plugged it back in (she left it unplugged to try it off for awhile) and still, the washer wont work. We're getting an error code F28 then DL. I said ok, lets take the stuff out of the washer. Door is stuck shut! I go upstairs to our everything we own manual drawer, dig out the washer manual and search for error codes and fixes. There is no such pages in our manual, wtf :(

I go online and google for similar issues and if there was an easy dummy fix. Didnt find exactly what I wanted but I found a how-to for manually opening the door at least. It was an easy, remove 3 screws, pop off panel, release manual door release. WELL, when I popped off the lower panel a package with error codes and fixes for them falls out!!! I looked thru them, tried what they suggested (which was what we did already anyway) and still the same result with the washer. Door is locked as soon as I hit power on and I cant start the washer or do ANYTHING.

So today I call Sears to see if we are covered or not. I get a person who doesnt speak english very well. I struggle thru just confirming my info with the guy, he finally finds my account but its saying last washer bought was a whirlpool. I say no, it was a kenmore. He says ok, what model number? I say, HE2T, he says no the numbers on the back of the washer. I said the washer is home, 50 miles away, based on the last order you see would I be covered. He says well lemme send a tech out and he'll confirm which washer it is and go from there. I said, I want to find out if these are covered under warranty because this is ridiculous! He says he cant help me more or less and suggests just having the tech come out. I said thanks, but no thanks. Hung up.

I call the wife, told her to slide it out and read me all the numbers off the tag on the back. I call back thinking Im ready to confirm what washer I have. This time I at least get a nice younger sounding man that speaks english as his first language. He finds the samething, Whirlpool front loader as my last purchase. I said what was the date of that purchase, he says 2/07, I said, thats the order just wrong washer. He says OK what do you have, Kenmore HE2T then I tell him I have a ton of numbers off the back. He says OK again, read those off to me. NP, I read them off, no washer with those numbers LOL! I said ok, w/e the numbers or washer is, based on that order date are these covered under warranty still? He says NO, they are only covered 1 year from the date of purchase and youre JUST outside of that....

I laughed along with him because its so fucking ironic! Like there is a timer in this thing, 1 year BING Broken! :lmao:

So I arrange a service call to at least get an estimate. The guy sees I bought a matching dryer and asked if I want it "tuned up". I asked if its free??? He says wellllll...I said forget it! I paid over 2 grand just over a year ago, I should NOT be in this situation already, this is ridiculous! He says ok, fair enough. He then tries to offer a free estimate on home repairs I may need. I laugh, no thanks....I just want my new washer fixed. So I asked a dumb question, is this service call free to diagnose the problem? He laughs now :lol: And says NO. He ends it with the guy will be out Friday between 8am and 5pm :( He takes down 3 different phone numbers and alerts me if he calls and I dont answer that they assume Im not home and cancel the appointment!!

The balls on these people. Do I really need to spend the extra $300/machine to get them to stand behind their product? Or at least realize, hey this dude is just outta warranty, maybe we can at least check it out for free...

/rant

First, when did washing machines starting throwing error codes?! Don't tell me we're gonna be flashing our washer/dryer's firmware here soon!

I'm extremely technically inclined, as is everyone I know... but we all agree that HOLY FUCK, whatever happened to "turn the knob and pull"?!

they don't make shit like they used to....

i got 5 year warranties on mine (for free... woo hoo for the sale!) because there's a good chance they are like dells, and the MB will die 366 days after purchase like clockwork. lol

I'm with Sabz on this one, 100%. I buy used $50 washers and shit, they do fine. I repair them all the time.

Also, being the kind of DIY gent that I am, I know that the manuals for all appliances are always under the main panel. Duh !

Washers and driers and shit that are computerized may seem like too much, but in essence we won't need to flash the BIOS at any point soon. It's still a dirty mechanical device that is subjected to the worse wear punishment there is. Still have plastic gears, consumable parts and the like. I'm pretty sure that what you're looking at is STILL a mechanical issue, like panties wrapped around the drum or something stupid like that.

It's not HAL.

Review 7 for Whirlpool Duet Sport® High Efficiency 3.4 Cu. Ft. Capacity Front-Load Washer

Overall Rating:
rating.gif
2 5
Repair Nightmare, April 25, 2008
By Geri1616 from Hilo, HI

"Bought Duet Sport Washer & Dryer
Not 2 yrs old, 3 months before warranty expires. Blew. F28 error code. Sears has attempted 5x to repair claiming difficulty find parts on several occasions. Aside from recommending you not buying from Sears. BEWARE. New models are more computer driven, which means harder to find a technician who knows what he's doing. Don't buy from Sears & don't buy extended Warranty. Machine broken since Feb. 21, 2008; It's now April 24; 6th attempt just reset for May 3rd. I wish I had my old machine back!"

good luck

ooo it's a Sport model. Higher maintanance, the turbo must also wear out the engine faster.

Sport model ?!

we bought the service plan, it's the smart thing to do

I hate that shit (be home between 8 and 5), fuck you, I'm the one paying money. Why don't you be here between 3 and 3:30

The washer/dryer I bought were Kenmore, not Whirlpool. *for recked*

We bought the front loaders because they were supposed to be so great. Now I know....:lol:

i paid $250 for my washer and dryer off craigslist.. works perfect.. anything more is just a waste of money to me

I will admit, when they worked great they really worked great! Very fast and the clothes smell a ton better not being drenched in water. They are worth the money if they work right!

yeah, they use SOOO much less power and water. like 1/10th. less soap, less softner, etc etc.
over time, they will pay for them selves in energy costs.

the engrgy star range was something like 118-498 a year for the washer. mine comes in at 123. it's pretty much the best washer you can buy in terms of energy efficiency

word, I love mine. We bought the washer, dryer and a 21Cuft stainless energy star fridge. After rebates and markdowns we basically got the dryer free

Wow, home appliances have on board diagnostics now? Kind of stupid, considering they really only need to wash or dry clothes. My family bought a set of Whirlpool was/dryers about 7 years ago from a Sears discount center (basically new models w scratches and dents) and we haven't had one problem.

Pretty soon there will be TSBs for washing machines and you'll need to replace the PCM.

Can I get the scan tool for my washer and dryer from the Matco or Snap-on guy?

It has a OBD port on the rear....

And dont laugh about replacing teh PCM. From what Ive read, thats the possible issue, the motherboard or what they call CCU (central control unit)

Back