Slow build up for turbo....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Well I've got my B in my 92 hatch and it is good for now so I can take my time and build a turbo motor.I am looking for it to replace my 16 as a daily driver when it is done,Not a all out drag motor.I would like some opinions about the build up,internals,block/head combo's,tranny,etc...Price is going to be spread out as I am planning on a year of saving and building.Could you guy's throw me some REALISTIC ideas and advice?Specifications are very encouraged in the tech side of this so it is all in harmony when done,and so I can sharpen up on(turbo and)motor knowledge.Thanks in advance.

I have no idea what you have in Europe, so my opinion will be from stuff found here. You make do :p. You can go all out and spend unlimited amount of money, or just go the way any normal person with a budget would. So this is just what you would normally find on the streets here.

I would go LS motor (B-series NON-VTEC motor). You dont have to, but for an insurance, i would get it resleeved and possibly bored to 2.0. Here in the states, that can run you up to 1000-1500. Can't go wrong with Eagle Rods and Endyn Roller Wave pistons. There is your built bottom end. I would use Crower turbo cams (Skunk2 I believe is coming with some soon), but expect to wait 2-3 months. Port N Polish head, Skunk2 head kit, Skunk2 IM, Bigger TB, 3" Thermal exhaust (or whatever 3" you want.. i like Thermal). You can go Hondata, I personally would. I would use the LS tranny. Its geared longer and better for boost, but I hear that the GSR is even a good choice. Get LSD! Goto www.ks-motorsports.com and you can custom build you a badass turbo kit. Prebuilt kits = ghey.

I'm sure i'm missing shit, but you get the idea. You can always replace everything with aftermarket. My list was just what is needed.

Since you have a b16. I would do everything above, except get the LS motor. Use your b16 and either port n polish the head out (500-800 here), or get a JDM ITR head with no cams for 700-750. I would still get a different tranny, but i'm sure you can make do with the b16 tranny.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,I am thinking about the B16 but I wanted to be able to drive while I built it.I can get the head and block work done here for a round 200 per job;P&P 200,bore and sleeve 200(plus parts)valve 200(+parts),etc...There is a shop all the club guys go to,and they are really good apparently.2 week turn around,they take a lot of business,hence the low prices.I can probably pick up a ls block for next to nothing at a scrapyard here so I may do that.Are the stock internals going to hold up to moderate boost without problems?Or is this a definite rebuild?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 21 2002, 07:20 AM
Thanks,I am thinking about the B16 but I wanted to be able to drive while I built it.I can get the head and block work done here for a round 200 per job;P&P 200,bore and sleeve 200(plus parts)valve 200(+parts),etc...There is a shop all the club guys go to,and they are really good apparently.2 week turn around,they take a lot of business,hence the low prices.I can probably pick up a ls block for next to nothing at a scrapyard here so I may do that.Are the stock internals going to hold up to moderate boost without problems?Or is this a definite rebuild?

Damn, if shipping shit overseas wasn't so much, I would have to get my shit done there.

Do a compression test on the motor, if its all up to par. PSI dont mean anything until you are certain of the turbo you want and the specs of it.

Back