Speaer reccomendations

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

driverunknown

FOr those of you who know the ej2 has 6 inch speakers all the way around. I was wondering if anyone knew what would be the best speakers to get that produce the cleanest sound with a little bit of bass. This guy I know has a new jetta with infinity stock speakers and that sound really nice. I don't want to get any huge subs because I don't like the weight.

Can anybody give me some recommendations?

for my interior I have Infinity reference series. They sound good, not too expensive and easy to install. If I had my choice though I would get the infinity perfects. Just my .02

Thanks for the one reply :p

What do you guys think of polk audio? THe momos look nice but way expensive. I'm talking about 6.5" and 5.25" speakers here.

The Polk dx series speakers are pretty good. They have true crossovers built into the basket, and play clear all the way up through and past their max power rating. I've got two pairs of their older dx6 speakers in the Civic, and it's distortion free when I have it loud enough to hear with all the windows down at 100mph.

i had some 6" JL Audio 3-way speakers in my 1990 Civic DX hatchback and they sounded really awesome. i liked em alot :)

infinty reference series! Great sound, good bass, very little if any distortion, at higher volumes. (6x9) Had them in 92 and 97 Accord. I will be putting a set in my 00 Civic (don't know size/shape though). Anyway any of the others recommend would be agood choice too.

I would stay away from Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer. IMO they have substandard control at higher volumes, i.e. the bass distorts, sound like crap, IMO.

If you want to hear another car with factory Infinities, find a Maxima, like 90-94 models. And some older Infiniti's had them as well. There are several other cars out there with factory infinities. Just keep in mind that with speakers, the quality of the sound is subjective. We can give a million suggestions, and none of them be what you like.

Good luck!

P.s I have Infinity Reference Rs5 towers at home, guess you could say I am partial to Infinity.

The infinity perfects are my recomendations. They are awesome as long as you have it set up right. The install is just as crutial to the sound as the speaker itself. If you going to amp the speakers then go with the perfects. I however do not think you should go with the refrence series. You are solely paying for the name infinity, when you can get a set of speakers that are cheaper and sound just as good. Its like buying a top of the line toyota vs. bottom of the line lexus you will pay about the same for both but one will have more options. My advice go to a store like Best Buy, Circuit city, Sound Advice something like that and have them show you some speakers. Find some you like and come back and ask which pair to get. Need anything else just ask.

Well I don't plan on running an amp. I had a whole system in my old festiva, and all it did was attract thieves. I just want stock size speakers that sound nice.

Nice. I'm saving for them so I'll update when I get them. I either want the reference or the polks db650.

I have 6 infinity reference 6 1/2's running through my car with 2 fosgate amps and one 12 fosgate 800 watt sub. Sounds great!

Originally posted by driverunknown@May 23 2004, 02:00 PM
I don't want to get any huge subs because I don't like the weight.

As the original post reads.

I'm sure your car sounds nice, but I want to replace my stock speakers, not replace and add more stuff.

Originally posted by driverunknown@May 23 2004, 02:00 PM
FOr those of you who know the ej2 has 6 inch speakers all the way around. I was wondering if anyone knew what would be the best speakers to get that produce the cleanest sound with a little bit of bass. This guy I know has a new jetta with infinity stock speakers and that sound really nice. I don't want to get any huge subs because I don't like the weight.

Can anybody give me some recommendations?

Hey dood,
your midrange speakers are one small part of the puzzle here (but my vote would be the infinity or the polk Audio's). The MAIN part of getting a good sounding mid and high range of audio is your head unit. I'm guessing you are running the speakers off of your deck since you didn't mention an amp of any sort. Having access to filters through your head unit is the only way you will achieve desirable results when looking for crystal clean audio. Utilizing a High pass filter (assignable to cut out low distorting frequencies), and a low pass filter (assignable to cut out distorting high frequencies), you will be able to fine tune your speakers to the acoustical properties of your car. Ever notice that when you install speakers, throw in a CD and crank it up, it sounds like crap? And the higher you turn it up the more you have to start turning down your artificial EQ parameters (Bass+Trebel controls) to get rid of distortion? That's because your midrange speakers are not designed to handle sub bass frequencies (30-100Hz). That's the job of a subwoofer. And if you are not using filters of your head unit, you are sending your midrange speakers these distorting frequencies and creating un-necessary cone movement in your speaker. What I mean by un-necessary is that a speaker, just like any other sound emmiting device, has to abide by the laws of the EQ spectrum. A great recording will have each instrument "carved" out onto a specific place in the EQ spectrum, so that when it is played through a device (speaker) no two instruments will be fighting for the same frequencies, therefore cancelling eachother out and creating noise (distortion). If you have a speaker that is taking on too much sub bass frequency and creating unnecessary cone movement, then the rest of the low end frequencies will suffer because they cannot move the cone properly to create the proper sound. Hence using a filter. If you can keep your gains (volume) at it's maximum potential, and cut out the low distoring frequencies, then you can optimize your speakers and have them sounding crystal clear and loud, without any distortion, and also a lessen the load that will extend the life of your speakers as well. You can use this same process to "carve out" a spot in the EQ spectrum for a subwoofer if you ever decide to get one by cutting out useless high frequencies.
If you dont know what I mean by the "EQ Spectrum" think of it this way: A normal EQ goes from left to right, or Bass through Trebel (Bass.......Middle..........Trebel). Take a normal band for instance. Each instrument will fit into one of these three areas. A bass guitar will play low frequencies, lead and rythem guitars will play in the midrange, drums will play all over the place (Kick drum in Sub Bass, snare in midrange and hats and cymbals in high range). As I said before, a good recording will have carved out a specific spot in the spectrum, so that no two sounds are "fighting" for the same frequency on the speaker, becuase when the two conflict, then you get distortion or cancellation fo both sounds. Same goes for listening to your music.

I hope this was informative for you. Good luck on your search for new speakers.
If you have any further questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Ryan.

Infinity Kappa series, I have the Kappa 2 way 5.25s in the front and the kappa perfect 6 inch components in the rear. I had a kappa perfect 10inch sub too, but I am trying to sell it right now. I loved the way everything sounded when it was all together, so damn clean.

JL Audio, Alpine, or Ground Zero. One of the these is what I would go with in your vechicle, even though no one on here has heard of GZ. If you wanted to get out cheaper go with the JL TR's or GZ Radioactive's. But if I were you I would save my money up to get some of the new Alpine Type S components, JL XR's, or GZ nuclear components. I have GZ in my car with Nuclear 5.25" components up front, and Radioactive 6.5" components in the rear...and sound Great...I would rate the Nuclear components on up there with Alpine Type X's...

Justa thought,
Brandon

Back