Stock Exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I have a 99 civic. Is there any exhaust system that will improve performance but not have the loud fast n furious sound ? I have stock exhaust right now.

It depends on the type of muffler and it's placement more than anything else. MagnaFlows are supposed to be fairly quiet while still flowing well. A downturn on the end of the tailpipe will also help supress noise.

arent exhausts a waste of money unless you have some serious mods done to your car?

headers too.

spend 1500.00+ on headers and exhaust and come out with MAYBE 10? hp?

waste....

$400 for exhaust and header (SINGULAR). It's worth it because they're lower priced mods for beginners, yield a noticeable different in the cars power, and easy to have done.

Originally posted by karnash@Mar 22 2003, 04:02 AM
arent exhausts a waste of money unless you have some serious mods done to your car?

headers too.

spend 1500.00+ on headers and exhaust and come out with MAYBE 10? hp?

waste....

wow i don't know where you get your prices but if you paid that much for exhaust what do you need I'll get you plenty of parts

Pretty much all the exhaust systems you can buy on the market will be loud, cause that's what most customers want. If you want quiet, put your own system together with 2.25 or 2.5 inch mandrel bent piping (assuming you're NA). That way you can get a quiet Magnaflow muffler and even put a resonator in there to keep sound levels down even more.

Bottom line most of the time is quieter = less power, and less power capability.

As far as I/H/E not being worth it, that is bullshit.

for the money, they produce a noticable change in the cars low end power/torque, acceleration, and high RPM function. Depending on what headers you buy, they can do different things also. You can't tell me that your going to get any sort of performance capability from stock exaust that was build for super-low emissions and a tire-melting 102 hp.

Ok, screw the noise factor. what is going to be a good performance setup. Should I buy a catback exhaust or have some custom mandrel bent and a universal muffler. Also, if I go custom pipes, do I need anything else other than pipes and muffler, i.e. - resonator, insert whatever else here, etc....

Back