Swap help - D16Y8 into EJ9

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sula

First of all hello, and sorry on my english in advance :)

So here is the story... I have civic 1.4 is (d14a4 - 90 HP) EJ9 and I have decided to swap with d16y8... my firend made a swap but when he needed to connect ecu with harness (I think it is called so) there was a problem...

so I try to describe problem... my old harness is connected to engine and goes into ECU on the other end... my new harness is same as old harness but the last 20 centimeters (8 inches) are diffrent... main difference is that old harness goes directly into ECU and the new one on the end have three connectors which does not fit into his ECU (P28)... my friend which have this harness and d16y8 on his del-sol says that I need some kind of electric installations which came as part of
car (but not mine)...

I know I complicated a little bit, so basically my question will be if anybody were doing similiar swap (d16y8 into EJ/EK models) what have you do and what kind of problems did you have ?

Thank you in advance... :worthy:

Where are you?

Is you car carburated? I think that it is the 1.3's that are carbed, but not sure about the 1.4's The reason for the problem is that your car is what we call OBD II, and the ECU you are trying to put in, is OBD I, they have different plugs.

You can either get an OBD II vtec sohc ECU, or get a conversion harness.

Whoa, that was quick... :)

No, my car isn't carburated it is full injection... Yes, my ECU is obd II but I'm pretty sure that this P28-G03 that I have is OBD 2a (according this picture) https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...type=post&id=33 it has same pinout IIRC... I would check when I come home... I have read on few sides that P28 is OBD I but this pinouts confuses me..

Today I'm gonna see things with some electricians and I will let you know the results...

Yea, look at it when you get home, I'm not 100% that Europe (where I guess you are?) has the same as US as far as ECUs, but the OBD II SOHC vtec from 96+ should be the P2P, I know the DOHC ones are the same in the states as Europe..

Interesting, where in Europe are you? I am in Germany. I can check with my Honda guy, he has a Honda stripyard, so he will know.

Ah, Germany - I was wonder why you are still awake ? :)

I'm from Croatia... so if you will please ask your Honda guy and when I came home I will make photo of old and new harness...
My main worry is why the hell there is 2 different ecu pinout on ECU because that both should be OBD 2 ecu (obd2a)... my civic is 96-97 and friends del-sol is also 96-97...

Sorry I did not manage to take pictures yesterday... But I've talked with some good honda electrician and he said that is missing piece of harness... and that he got to do it some wiring manually...

so I think that my problem is solved... I hope ...

thank you for your help...

Back