Talk me out of this car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm buying a car in the next few weeks, looking for something in the '00-'05 range and the 8-10k range, but for work I want something a little more upscale than a Kia or a Hyundai. Been looking at A4's, 3-series' and the like, but it's hard to find anything with less than 70k miles or so. Plus I'm concerned about parts and maintenance on a car like that with that many miles.

That's why I'm really worried about finding this:

W2946.05.jpg

2002 Mercedes C230, 47k miles, $8998.00

Haven't looked at it yet, but provided there's nothing hugely wrong with it, I've been considering it. Found 3 other black ones locally in the same price range with a few more miles as well, so I can pick the best of the 4 if need be.

Maintenance and insurance concern me, since I've never owned one I don't know what to expect. Plus the fact that the interior is ugly and the rear end looks like a Neon. On the other hand it's a good entry level luxury car that won't embarrass me when I take customers/coworkers around.

Pros/cons/suggestions?

When i bought my 2003 Mercedes c240, my insurance went, down, people dont; realize how safe these cars are and how mnay safety features there are. Oil changes are every 13,000 miles. If it was maintained well, then i would get it. tires, brakes, belts will be somewhat costly, but not if you can do it yourself. I liked my Mercedes but it was real wheel drive, no good for CT winters.

With that said, rock an Audi A4. Same Luxory and AWD

Thanks for the help so far all. :D

I checked out one of the four, a small dealership literally right across the street from work. The rear wheel wells were starting to rust out! :mad:

I found a nice black 330xi there though. :ph34r:

Last edited:
so what? 140k isn't shit.

i have 165 on my ti and it runs mint

so what? 140k isn't shit.

i have 165 on my ti and it runs mint
:werd:
I got 154k on my 318 and I am the only responsible owner this car has ever seen. It's running better and better each time I get a chance to work on it :)

Sweet, I've been looking for < 70k miles so far and it hasn't been easy in this price range... Good to know I can safely bump that up a bit.

my aunts z3 3.0i has 213k on it and it still runs like a champion. i know the car has been through alot of little stuff but nothing ever major. she just had the clutch replaced but thats the biggest thing that has been done. It seems with bmws its the little stuff that has to be replaced.. and the little stuff is never cheap. example: her window stopped rolling up.. she had to get a whole new door.. drivers side power seat broke.. it still says alot that the car is running so well after so many miles i had no idea they would last that long without any major work

either way its a fun car to take on day trips. its no s2000 but its still fun

Audi dealer called me about a car that had just come in, a 2005 A4 Quattro 1.8t with 80,000 miles. Carfax showed one owner, dealer maintained (at the very same dealership) with everything done to it listed. All oil changes, factory specified maintenance intervals were performed, etc. Brand new fuel pump 3 weeks ago. Black on black, leather, performance package, $11,900 asking price.

Went in two days later, it was already sold.
smiley_cry.gif

Me: :headsmash:

Last edited:
Back