Thinking of Relocating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've heard amazing things about Austin. Gawddamn liberals get to ya?
Their slogan is "Keep Austin Weird", aka "Keep Austin Liberal". From what I hear, great drinking town, but its like Vegas. Anything more than 4-7 days is too much.

Yup, it's been 7 months. From my perspective, Austin is just the liberal version of Dallas. There's nothing here I can't do in Dallas, and quite a few things I can do in Dallas that I can't do here.

Come to NEPA. nootrac and I are up here. Really good people, decent culture and good opportunity. Also, lots of white conservatives.

Lots.

And the ride back home to visit folks isn't a killer either. Also, work out here isn't too bad.

Anyone who talks about 'moving due to the costs of living in XYZ' area is out of touch with finances and reality. The only way that moving from one area to another area is a good idea from a finance perspective is when 1) you already have an equal or higher paying job offer in said area that you plan to move or 2) you've made your money in a high income area, you've saved, and you move to a lower income area or you're willing to commute from a low income area to a high income area for work.

It's really that simple. It makes sense in retirement when you've made your money in the northeast, you can sell a house, and then take the lump sum and only spend a portion of that money on your housing down south or out west.

Cost of living is generally proportionate to local wages.

People think the Northeast is so expensive, but we are one of the few places where we actually make a disproportionate amount of money versus the cost of living. Why? Well you can travel from a lower income area to a higher income area in a fairly short amount of time. Go from Blairstown, NJ and spend the 1.5hrs every morning driving into NYC.

You think NJ is expensive? Compare rent where ever you are in NJ - hell, compare Hoboken, NJ - to the rates in Salt Lake City. They're the same. Compare the cost of a drink in NY or Philly to the cost of a drink in any other city. People talk about NY prices? Derp, it's not NY prices - it's CITY prices. I've been charged just as much in every city I've been to - they all make me cry because they are so expensive.

It's that whole supply vs demand thing. If you want to live in a 'premier' area, where everyone else also wants to live, you're going to pay through the nose.

The trick to all of this is that if you're willing to live in a less than desirable area and can find work in a highly desirable and high wage area - then you can get ahead. Otherwise, if you live where you work, the market evens itself out, the cost of living is going to be proportional what the locals make.

Also just as a FYI, as cool as it may sound, Australia is a hell of a lot more expensive than here.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to move because you want a different lifestyle, that's one thing. Moving because you think you're going to beat the rat race and become wealthier somewhere else, is quite another.

What's wrong with living with your parents until you're 30? B's right - if you saved more and planned earlier, you could be out already but that's crying over spilled milk. Move forward and fix the situation by getting really aggressive with saving and aggressive in seeking new employment to jump up the wage scale. If you can't stand living with your parents, then think about a roommate or two roommates to share a place with to keep the cost of living down. Single bedrooms are always going to be more expensive than 2 bedrooms. I.e., you'll find single bedrooms from $800-$1400 in NJ and 2 bedrooms from $1,000-$2,000.

Anyone who talks about 'moving due to the costs of living in XYZ' area is out of touch with finances and reality. The only way that moving from one area to another area is a good idea from a finance perspective is when 1) you already have an equal or higher paying job offer in said area that you plan to move or 2) you've made your money in a high income area, you've saved, and you move to a lower income area or you're willing to commute from a low income area to a high income area for work.

It's really that simple. It makes sense in retirement when you've made your money in the northeast, you can sell a house, and then take the lump sum and only spend a portion of that money on your housing down south or out west.

Cost of living is generally proportionate to local wages.

People think the Northeast is so expensive, but we are one of the few places where we actually make a disproportionate amount of money versus the cost of living. Why? Well you can travel from a lower income area to a higher income area in a fairly short amount of time. Go from Blairstown, NJ and spend the 1.5hrs every morning driving into NYC.

You think NJ is expensive? Compare rent where ever you are in NJ - hell, compare Hoboken, NJ - to the rates in Salt Lake City. They're the same. Compare the cost of a drink in NY or Philly to the cost of a drink in any other city. People talk about NY prices? Derp, it's not NY prices - it's CITY prices. I've been charged just as much in every city I've been to - they all make me cry because they are so expensive.
It's that whole supply vs demand thing. If you want to live in a 'premier' area, where everyone else also wants to live, you're going to pay through the nose.

The trick to all of this is that if you're willing to live in a less than desirable area and can find work in a highly desirable and high wage area - then you can get ahead. Otherwise, if you live where you work, the market evens itself out, the cost of living is going to be proportional what the locals make.
I agree with that. But while my area isn't Hoboken, it's a 45 minute train ride to the city. Rent is expensive. I don't make an NYC salary, I make Cranford, NJ salary. I'm not moving to strike it rich with cost of living savings. I want a different lifestyle. But in an area with less competitive talent, they may also pay a little more (comparatively) because they need the personel. Supply vs. demand.
Also just as a FYI, as cool as it may sound, Australia is a hell of a lot more expensive than here.
Australia's wages reflect the higher cost of living. Moving laterally career-wise, I'd get a 150-200% pay raise going there. And the cost of living MIGHT be 150% higher in the nicest of areas. Most Australians don't like working 40-50 hours a week. Where as us Americans think, "only 40-50 hours? Sweet". Employers love the "American work ethic" over there. Go figure.
Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to move because you want a different lifestyle, that's one thing. Moving because you think you're going to beat the rat race and become wealthier somewhere else, is quite another.

What's wrong with living with your parents until you're 30? B's right - if you saved more and planned earlier, you could be out already but that's crying over spilled milk. Move forward and fix the situation by getting really aggressive with saving and aggressive in seeking new employment to jump up the wage scale. If you can't stand living with your parents, then think about a roommate or two roommates to share a place with to keep the cost of living down. Single bedrooms are always going to be more expensive than 2 bedrooms. I.e., you'll find single bedrooms from $800-$1400 in NJ and 2 bedrooms from $1,000-$2,000.
I struggled to pay my bills until about a year ago. I was waiting tables with a college degree while I got my Masters. I was working 50+ hours a week just to save a little in case of emergency. If I could go back to high school and pick again, I'd choose a different path. But like you said, spilled milk.

As far as what's wrong with living with your parents? Nothing really. But I clash with my mother. The running joke is that she likes my friends more than me. 4 years at college, behaving how I wanted to, did me in when I returned home. The relationship is better now, but 08-09 I did some serious damage because I was going to do what I wanted to.

I want a different lifestyle. I'm actually considering going into business for myself. 9-5 would slowly kill me. Like right this minute, I have zero work for the rest of the day. I can't leave until after 5p. Can't go to the gym, can't run errands, can't do anything because they own me. It's my life, and I'm losing it one wasted minute at a time.

If you think owning a business is going to net you less hours, you're in for a rude awakening. Most people I know who run their own stuff work 60-100 a week.

You had some party issues with the booze... so quit drinking, apologize and just move on with life knowing that you fucked up and you're better now.

If you have 0 work to do today, jump on https://www.coursera.org/ and improve yourself in a different avenue. Getting paid to learn is awesome.

Not what I meant. I'm not looking for less hours. I'm looking for less wasted hours. I'd work 100 hours a week for my own business. I think I give off the impression that I'm lazy. I'm not. I'll work my ass off for something worthwhile. But this job? I'll work just hard enough, not to be fired.

Hell, my actual work is pretty much wasted hours. I check over and fill out work papers all day to see that what a company says is actually the truth. So that about 10 people can use that information, knowing that a small portion of the majority was checked and looks to be in good standing.

you only get one trip through life man, you might as well do whatever the hell you want with it
if you have the money go visit a place and try it on for a week or 2
you might find yourself a new job there and just never come back
better to try it and fail, than to live with the regret of never taking that leap
spot fucking on. i can tell you now that regret sucks.

from what i understand audit work blows
tax is where the "fun" lies in the industry
don't give up on your degree until you try all aspects
i personally know many accountants that started out in audit work and got out of it to open their own practice and focus on tax work
my semi retirement goal is to work tax season and take the rest of the year off
this might be the best of both worlds for you, just something to consider

Operations is where the "fun" is. And I'll probably be there in the next few months with help from a friend.

Our ops accountants are miserable. (Actually lease accountants). They work so much.

The general accountants on the other hand and controllers. That's where its at.

I guess that depends on the company. But in operations is where you find more "normal" people.

Our ops accountants are miserable. (Actually lease accountants). They work so much.

The general accountants on the other hand and controllers. That's where its at.

Ding ding ding.

Indepdent general accountant that does outsourced work or controller for a small business. The job responsibilities are at least varied from day to day rather than mind numbingly repeative and boring work everyday.

Hey Slush come to Seattle :D. Great fucking place. I absolutely love it here. Need some more HS'sers here.

Its Cel, he hates on all things.

When it all boils down to it - New Jersey is a great place to live. You can be to the beach in less than an hour and surf. You can be to the mountains in less than an hour and ski/snowboard. You can see farmland. You can see city. You have lakes and you have the ocean.

Where else do you get the versatility? Parts of California?

I understand if you're an outdoors guy - then a place like Montana or Salt Lake City make sense. Unfortunately you're sacrificing ever seeing the ocean, warmth and so many connected towns/communities. I love me some Montana - but living there in the winter would be depressing.

I think he's making some illusion that it's very similar.

Seattle has that same. We have ocean. We have huge lakes. Pass. Desert over the pass. So much to do, its not even funny. There is something for everyone. The weather is mild. The snow is deep. The summers are freaking gorgeous. I fish, ski and golf. I can do 2 of 3 of those year round.

I really enjoy living in Seattle. I live in the city and I really like it but eventually I'm going to be in the 'burbs, drinking starbucks, and driving a lifted truck. 'Murica.

Last edited:
Back