Todays project

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Picked up the man around 1045 and headed out to the shop, go settled in and car on lift around 1130. Prepped it all (removed driver side wheel and valvecover), and was ready to begin...

s405c7f76d6d90.jpg

Old cams out :)

s405c8044668c0.jpg

Comparison shot between the CTR cam on left, and the B16As on the right...

s405c80f4e09e7.jpg

A shot of the reason the Honda dealer here can't work on NSXs anymore, since he and the only other liscened guy quit. There is NO shade tree in this guys game, and one of the only people in this country I will let inside my motor...

s405c812981671.jpg

And I learned something today, here is a small hole, like the one on you cam that allows you to insert a 5mm brace, in this case a drill bit, into it to hold the cam while replacing your cam gear...

s405c81cc9eb27.jpg

Oh yea, and we threw in a new timing belt that I have had laying around meaning to go on for about a year now. And a word of advice to all those that ask about taking off the pulley, use the damn right tool, Honda makes it for a reason and it is remakably easy task with it...

s405c826e0eacd.jpg

Well, Mike set the valvelash to the minimum, and I mean minimum clearance 0.15 on the intake and 0.17 exhaust, because the bigger lobes will be noisy, but we wanted to lessen the risk of floating a valve at those beautiful high rpms.

And the butt dyno says "Power is increased all the way through and up to 8000 rpms", But next week the real dyno will tell the truth, as we all no Mr. Butt dyno can get too excited by new parts. Vtec didn't slam like I thought it was going to, but there was a marked difference in the low rpms, which is opposite of what I was expecting, anyway, once I get the real results in I am hoping to break 160 at hte wheels, as these better be good for 5+ whp. And eventually I am going to get around to some ITR springs, so I can truely take advantage of the cams, and upgrade way later on.

Anyway thn after scorching the town I came home and vacuumed, so thanks for checking it out, if anyone has a question reguarding this, drop a dime yO!!!

Sweet action man...how much did those CTR cams set you back?

Originally posted by revolution8k@Mar 21 2004, 10:11 AM

Traded them for some EDM EG headlights, and rear seats with head rest :).

Originally posted by revolution8k+Mar 21 2004, 12:40 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 21 2004, 06:35 AM
revolution8k
@Mar 21 2004, 10:11 AM

Traded them for some EDM EG headlights, and rear seats with head rest :).

haha

BAH...where are you finding all these bad ass deals?

Keep my eyes open and ears to the ground ;)

The deals are out there, you just gotta find them. Trust me, I have paid my fair share of over priced parts over the years.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 20 2004, 12:50 PM
Oh yea, and we threw in a new timing belt that I have had laying around meaning to go on for about a year now. And a word of advice to all those that ask about taking off the pulley, use the damn right tool, Honda makes it for a reason and it is remakably easy task with it...

does honda sell that tool? pics of the tool?

s405dd0ed2e641.jpg

I really meant to get a shot of it in action, but we were moving pretty fast.

It fits in the large hex shaped hole on the outside of the pulley, and you brace it against the frame and then turn teh bolt with a large breaker bar.

Honda part #07JAB-001020A Pulley Holder Attachment, Hex 50mm

Turns what I have seen as a day long or more ordeal, into a two second job.

all i had to do is use my impact gun to take off my crank pully... it just turns so fast that it comes out and the engine didn't even turn over

Originally posted by ef_hatch@Mar 24 2004, 01:08 AM
all i had to do is use my impact gun to take off my crank pully... it just turns so fast that it comes out and the engine didn't even turn over

Tha works sometimes, it the nut isn't stubborn. But if the motor is in the car, is is easier to use the tool.

did you adjust the cam gear settings at all? you'll most likely want to play with them a little to get optimal results

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 24 2004, 09:52 AM
:owned:

Hahaha, E's observasion skills own you :D

But cam gears, and wideband own me :(

:werd:

I picked up a good 5-6 pounds of torque just playing with the cam gears, and that was without even trimming in more fuel. We were just playing around to see where the power curve went.

Back