Tps? How Important Is It?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RFHOMI2U

What exactly does the TPS do??? Is it completely neccessary?? Motor is breaking up, and ECU throwing code 7. I unplugged the TPS while the motor was running, and nothing happened. Is it supposed to if the TPS is working right??? Would this definitely be the TPS? (I don't wanna spend $150Usd if i don't have to) -thanks for help. -Ryan

It sends a signal in the form of voltage to the ECU to tell it what the throttle is doing.

Here are some pics of the troubleshooting for a CEL 7:

s3e8b741e43dbc.jpg

s3e8b7438c2c5c.jpg

If you need the second page I can reshoot it.

Originally posted by RFHOMI2U@Apr 2 2003, 05:53 PM
What exactly does the TPS do??? Is it completely neccessary?? Motor is breaking up, and ECU throwing code 7. I unplugged the TPS while the motor was running, and nothing happened. Is it supposed to if the TPS is working right??? Would this definitely be the TPS? (I don't wanna spend $150Usd if i don't have to) -thanks for help. -Ryan

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

This tells the computer how much air is entering the engine, and how to adjust fuel accordingly.

MOST important young grasshopper

The engine only requires two sensors to limp. I believe it's CKP and TPS. with no tps, you'll get no fuel curve. The reason it did nothing when you unplugged it is because you're already at idle. hit the gas and you'll run so lean it'll hurt your engine and/or stall immediately.

Back