Turbo Mini-Me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I may go with my origional plan and just buy a EF8. All of my wants would be met. :)

youre really concerned about beating a 5.0 mustang?

unless its wildly modified, id say you probably dont have anything to worry about

NA sucks, go FI ;)

OMG...all along I have been giving the unrefined 302 too much credit. I was searching up You Tube and every stock B16A beat every stock 5.0.

Beating my work mate in my Honda against his slushbox fox body will be enjoyable. ;)

The 5.0 ignorance in this thread is astounding. Not bashing guys honestly, but you might want do a little more research in the 5.0 fox. For the money the OP uses to swap motors or boost, the 5.0 can be made into somewhat of a problem with suspension and traction upgrades, and not even touch the motor really. If the kid has any kind of Mustang savvy, from a dig My money's on the Mustang.

OP good luck w/your build. I'd like to know how it turns out.

I know what a Mustang (or most V8 RWD) can be made into with some money. Thats also why I got a Camaro and GSX-R for the speed fix and a Civic Si for the DD gas mileage getter.

I know what a Mustang (or most V8 RWD) can be made into with some money. Thats also why I got a Camaro and GSX-R for the speed fix and a Civic Si for the DD gas mileage getter.

Well I don't know what the bike is capable of, but depending on which Camaro you have, you understand what this kid's possibly getting into. I just saw a bunch of a stock b18 blah blah kills the stock mustang blah blah blah. I just wanted to give the OP some idea that it's not all youtube videos.

I know of very FEW people who get a fox body mustang and leave it stock for long. With the right suspension set up, removing the stock air box/silencer combo, add a CAI (even an ebay one) preferably fender well mount, good exhaust, decent tires, and bumping the timing up a few degrees a stock fox body HATCH will run 12's in the 1/4 mile. All this is on a $400-600.00 budget. Add in gearing to bump him up to an even grand and a good driver can get that fox in the mid 12's easy.

Hell even a speed density Fox with a cam swap and the above mods will get him there. (mid 12's that is)

I feel you on the lil 4 cyl for a DD though. I thought when I got mine I wanted to put it into the 250's as far as hp/tq. After cruising it for a few weeks, I'm not so sure anymore. Definately a fresh rebuild, 5spd swap, and some visual mods are what I'm thinking for the onset. Then its work on the interior time. I do not care for the stock door panels I have, nor the headliner. Those are FIRST on the list. But this isn't my thread. I'm sorry for the hijack OP, my bad... I some times get carried away when it comes to talking shop.

The best thing about fox bodys and F bodys is that their chassis has been built up sooo many times that the formula for speed can be found on every message board, in every magazine, and at every track with a guy willing to help a fellow enthusiast out. Then every part needed is just a call or click away for cheap because everyone produces them in mass amounts.

I bought the Si in particular because I knew it has potential yet still keeps decent MPGs. I had quick thoughts of building it into a high revving NA monster, or throwing some boost at it, but they were short lived because I remembered why I stayed away from Hondas in the first place; Unless you're willing to throw a LOT of money and time at building up the little 4 cylinder, you will never be truly fast. You'll be "quick." You'll be able to entertain yourself. But every time someone says something along the lines of "man, that cars pretty fast..." you'll always hear "...for a Honda/4 cyl" at the end.

Seriously. 12s are not fast. At all. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Im just glad I didnt allow myself to get caught up in the money pit. Ive got the Password JDM intake and Hytech header and unless happen upon something too good to pass up thats probably all the Si will ever see. Only thing Im pursuing from here on out is a nice suspension setup (might be buying a Tein full coilover setup from a friend next check) good brakes, and enjoying a clean looking car that rides well and does'nt bore me to death.

Last edited:
Haha, sorry...I've shaped this the wrong way. Were buds, and actually the turbo idea came up before he got his Mustang. It's actually a clean car and I'm glad he got it. It has a CAI into the fender well and headers. Fresh white paint with two black stripes over the top and a black pinstripe around each. It also has chrome pony wheels, it looks and sounds great and he's having a lot of fun.

I just want to have fun with my car now...and waste him in my dads S2000. Haha...

Last edited:
Na dude. My car is running perfect and I'm not looking into getting myself in trouble or destroying the car. What B.C. lacks in emissions makes up in shitty driving regulations.

Let me explain/rant...

When you turn 16 you get your learners lisence.
-Must display "L" on the rear of the vehicle or ticket.
-Person over 25 with DL in passenger seat at all times or you're screwed.
-One other passanger.
-No fuck ups.

If you make it a year you can apply for your novice lisence.
-Must display "N" on the rear of the vehicle or ticket.
-One other passanger
-3 strikes then lose lisence (minor screw ups like seat belt)

Then if you some how make it two years you can finally apply for your full DL. I have to be careful, and what sucks is that this is only in B.C. I have a friend who lived in Alberta for 3 months with his uncle and came back to B.C. driving on a full lisence. Just gay.

Last edited:
blah blah blah...
-One other passanger.
-No fuck ups.

blah dee blah blah
-One other passanger
-3 strikes then lose lisence (minor screw ups like seat belt)

Then if you some how make it two years you can finally apply for your full DL. I have to be careful, and what sucks is that this is only in B.C. I have a friend who lived in Alberta for 3 months with his uncle and came back to B.C. driving on a full lisence. Just gay.

One. Your car is a two seater. Problem solved.
Two. Dont be an ass-hat.
Three. Wear your seatbelt.

Yeah...I just have to be careful. Not scoping out cops but driving responsibly.

boost the d series and aim for low 200's. find some used pistons in the area of 9.0 to 1 - 9.5 to 1 compression and a decent set of rods considering stock rods are toothpicks. go with a nice reliable turbo that will spool early in the rpm range and not some big laggy beast. decent size injectors and arp's will do the trick along with your 255. get a good tune and that thing will be quick, fun, and spank that POS Ford product (yes im a Ford hater)

The best thing about fox bodys and F bodys is that their chassis has been built up sooo many times that the formula for speed can be found on every message board, in every magazine, and at every track with a guy willing to help a fellow enthusiast out. Then every part needed is just a call or click away for cheap because everyone produces them in mass amounts.

I bought the Si in particular because I knew it has potential yet still keeps decent MPGs. I had quick thoughts of building it into a high revving NA monster, or throwing some boost at it, but they were short lived because I remembered why I stayed away from Hondas in the first place; Unless you're willing to throw a LOT of money and time at building up the little 4 cylinder, you will never be truly fast. You'll be "quick." You'll be able to entertain yourself. But every time someone says something along the lines of "man, that cars pretty fast..." you'll always hear "...for a Honda/4 cyl" at the end.

Seriously. 12s are not fast. At all. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Im just glad I didnt allow myself to get caught up in the money pit. Ive got the Password JDM intake and Hytech header and unless happen upon something too good to pass up thats probably all the Si will ever see. Only thing Im pursuing from here on out is a nice suspension setup (might be buying a Tein full coilover setup from a friend next check) good brakes, and enjoying a clean looking car that rides well and does'nt bore me to death.

Yes, while I understand for someone who rides a rocket w/two wheels on it, or a 10 second street car (you or me) 12's wouldn't be considered fast. But for a 16yr old who's looking at a B-series swap or boosting a D-series engine, 12's are about as fast as he's likely to see w/out MAJOR money involved. Thats why I picked 12's for a target time BECAUSE IT'S REALISTIC.

boost the d series and aim for low 200's. find some used pistons in the area of 9.0 to 1 - 9.5 to 1 compression and a decent set of rods considering stock rods are toothpicks. go with a nice reliable turbo that will spool early in the rpm range and not some big laggy beast. decent size injectors and arp's will do the trick along with your 255. get a good tune and that thing will be quick, fun, and spank that POS Ford product (yes im a Ford hater)

HA.. no problems there (w/the ford hater portion) Everyone hates something else, Before I actually aquired my hatch, I never really considered building a Honda, or any other FWD vehicle. Now that I have one, I'm torn between my GOFAST side, and the side of me that says, man for the money and time you'd invest in this thing, you could get another v8 RWD and be quicker. However there is something to be said for blowing the doors off an obnoxious v8 driver, leaving him with the :huh:/:eek: face.

OP my apologies, I misinterpreted the meaning of your thread. Further apologies for hijacking it in such a manner as well.

Yes, while I understand for someone who rides a rocket w/two wheels on it, or a 10 second street car (you or me) 12's wouldn't be considered fast. But for a 16yr old who's looking at a B-series swap or boosting a D-series engine, 12's are about as fast as he's likely to see w/out MAJOR money involved. Thats why I picked 12's for a target time BECAUSE IT'S REALISTIC.
I hadn't seen you say 12s anywhere. I just pulled that number out because I know a lot of Honda fanboys (not calling you one, just speaking in generalities) that go crazy over a 12 second car.

what this boils down to (and this is what my dad has been telling me from the very beginning) is that hondas are not race cars, nor were they ever intended to be
theyre econoboxes
so of course if you want to build an all out drag machine then gtfo of hondas and start with a better platform
as for me, i love having a car that is streetable, gets decent mileage and puts down mediocre power all in a lightweight, nimble package
regardless of the make of the car, thats what i like in a street car
it obviously can be achieved in more than one way
a honda is just the way i did it first

The 5.0 ignorance in this thread is astounding. Not bashing guys honestly, but you might want do a little more research in the 5.0 fox. For the money the OP uses to swap motors or boost, the 5.0 can be made into somewhat of a problem with suspension and traction upgrades, and not even touch the motor really. If the kid has any kind of Mustang savvy, from a dig My money's on the Mustang.

OP good luck w/your build. I'd like to know how it turns out.

:werd:

5.0s with a bit of money in the right place are pretty lethal. Just the fact that V8 parts cost about half of what import parts cost make a HUGE difference too.

I'd build a V8 car if I had standard tools. All metric though. Oops. :D :lol:

Back