Valve Cover Gasket?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Magik

Just finished dropping my D15 in my Si last night and pulled the plug wires to check the plugs and the #3 was soaked in oil...what do I need to do?? Is it just the valve cover gasket...or is it more than that??...is it something I can do myself with limited knowledge??

Help!

Jason

PS> Any place I can find a "how to" on how to fix whatever the problem is?

Id check the valve cover gasket, but if you haven't turned over the motor yet i wouldn't know. Maybe you just spilled some oil on it or something. Usually if a valve cover gasket is leaking, it will leave an oil trail down the side of the head to where you see it. Pretty much trial and error fixing leaks. you just have too look long and hard at them.

probably just the valve cover gasket, the part that prevents oil from getting into the spark plug chamber.

funny this came up, but I currently have the same problem with my 240, take the plug out, inspect it, clean it, put new valve cover gasket on with proper adhesive lube shitty, clean and inspect plug wires.

I forgot what I was dealing with foe a sec. I'm so used to looking under the 626's hood now with its plugs coming out the side of the head, that I forgot we were talking about hondas. That little rubber ring is prolly messed up, or maybe it fell out when you reinstalled the cover. I remember pulling the cover off my b18a and one of the rings fell out. just my .02

I just bought a new VC gasket and the spark plug seals to install...hopefull that will solve the problem...what about the oil that is currently in there...will I be able to get that cleaned up when I remove the Valve Cover?

Jason

Kewl...what about the suggestion by some people that I have to use some form of gasket adhesive/sealer on the new gasket...suggestions?

Jason

that's what i just heard the other day. I'm replacing the valvew cover gasket on my 626 in a couple of days, I'll tell you how it works. I was told to use gaskacinch or similar for the rubber gaskets to seal them, and this copper sealant for the metal gaskets.

well is it the top of the plug, or is the bottom of the plug? If it is the bottom, it could be many things like a bad Valve seal which is allowing oil to drip down.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 7 2004, 04:19 PM
well is it the top of the plug, or is the bottom of the plug? If it is the bottom, it could be many things like a bad Valve seal which is allowing oil to drip down.

The oil is on the tube that is on the end of the spark plug wire (best way I know to describe it) that goes down in the VC to connect with the spark plug...when I look down in the hole I can see oil on the spark plug. Does that answer your question? Am I doing the right fix?

:unsure:

Jason

yea, thats better. Then yea, I think the little gaskets around the spark plug tubes (when you take off the valve cover you will see them) are probally your problem.

Start it up, it will smoke for a few minutes till the oil is burned out fo the cylinders, then it will be fine. It's just old spark plug seals.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 7 2004, 07:54 PM
Start it up, it will smoke for a few minutes till the oil is burned out fo the cylinders, then it will be fine. It's just old spark plug seals.

Start it up...after I change the seals and the gasket...and the oil in the area of the spark plug should burn away?

Jason

Originally posted by Magik+Jan 8 2004, 02:40 AM-->
@Jan 7 2004, 07:54 PM

Start it up...after I change the seals and the gasket...and the oil in the area of the spark plug should burn away?

Jason

Not any that is still above the plugs, but any that has sipped past (if say you removed the plugs) into the cylinders. You should pull out you plugs anyway and let what's in there go into the cylinders and clean off the tops of the plugs so the wires are contacting good, then it will burn away.

Yeah just like these other guys said its just probaly your vc gasket cause i once had the same problem and one way i got the oil out was when you take the vc off to fix the gasket get a screw driver and a piece of rag and stick it down there to clean it up takes a little time but it gets the job done.

Very cool...thanks for all of the suggestions...but it ain't gettin' done today...it's -39C (-38.2F) outside right now...the less I have to be outside the better!

Jason

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jan 8 2004, 01:11 PM
Stick your tongue to valve cover and see what happens.... :D

LOL...Actually my car is at Honda right now having a "Diagnostic Test" done to pinpoint the cause of some minor problems...so I can't...besides, I don't like greasy food ;)

Jason

Took the car to Honda to throw on the 'diagnostic' machine...they told me the idle thing was the pcv valve, I need a new radiator, my temperature sensor is shot so my fan is running constantly...and that my starter is on it's last legs...dammit.

So tomorrow I am changing the rad, and saturday I and changing my valve cover gasket, spark plug seals, and spark plugs (anyone know what the gap should be on a D15B1?). Then I am, maybe next week, changing the temp sensor and oxygen sensor. Then onto what ever I stumble across next...sigh...

Jason

for plugs, use NGK plugs.

PCV valve should be like $5-10 and if it is like my old d-series, it should be extremly easy to change.

For the temp switch, just swap it out with the one from your old engine. I would do the same with your starter.

Back