what to do for intake on swap car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondaboy0892

I have a 97 civic that I swaped a k20a2 into. I love the car now and everthing works great except the intake. I made a cold air intake for it and it works but it sucks up water and in winter it got filled with snow and ice and caused the car to spit and sputer sometimes. I then put a sheild on to keep the snow off but it closed the airfilter off so much that now the intake temps a way to hi. I want to do something different but dont know what. This car is my daily driver so I need somethinng that will protect the filter from water and road debry but will alow me to suck cold air too. I would love any help as to what to do.Thanks for any insite you can give me.

well thats what you get with a cold air but you should have a inner fender plastic that keeps most water out is yours missing

no its not there. I put a skid plate on the car to protect the oil pan cause it sits so low and because of that the side splash guardes dont fit.

I probably would have bought one of AEM's hybrid intakes. The make one for a K20 into the 96-00 Civic. Yeah, it might cost you a little more than the one you put together yourself, but at least you'd know it'll fit well and work right.

So is there no way you can modify your skid plate to allow your fender guards to fit? That's probably a big part of your problem. You need those things in there to protect the air filter from water and road debris.

Oh, and FYI, no water or snow should be going into your engine at all. You're lucky that you've only had minor problems up until now. Water doesn't compress like air does; if too much water gets in, say bye bye to your engine...

Buy a hydroshield. K&N sells a water resistant one. Its like a black sock to put over the filter.

OR

You can also buy a filter shield, they sell them at Advance Auto. Find what side of the filter is sucking up the water and put the shield over that side.

put a short ram on it. that's the best solution, then you won't have to worry about sucking up water.

AEM bypass valve, if for whatever reason the air cleaner should get submerged it sucks air through this bypass valve.

aem_bypass.jpg

Thanks for the info guys but I dont know if I like the short ram idea. Wont that be to hi in the engine bay and there for suck to much hot air off the top of the engine.

Is there really that much of a hp diffrence between cai and short ram, no. you're in wisconsion where you get rain and snow. this car is a daily driver, so i assume that it will be out in the rain and snow. is having a cai really worth hydrolocking your engine (of your daily driver) and leaving you with a huge repair bill and no car till the work is done. not worth it imo, but if it is to you then get the bypass valve and the hydroshield, like others have mentioned here. I'd use both of them to cover my ass.

Thanks for the info guys but I dont know if I like the short ram idea. Wont that be to hi in the engine bay and there for suck to much hot air off the top of the engine.

If short ram intakes were that that ineffective, would they even sell them?

^Thats funny. People on Nasioc say VTA BOV's dont work on Sube's, I always ask, why do they keep selling them?

Hes right though. The difference is minimal between a CAI and a SRI. The bypass is easy to install to be safe but if its an issue leave it SRI for now.

Right. It's just simple logic. If SRI's actually hurt performance rather then helping it, no one would buy them and therefore companies wouldn't bother making them or selling them...

Well I kinda doubt any stock intake is going to work very well here, since he's running a K-series swap into an EK chassis...

just run a injen sri and forget the extra 2hp from a cold air and save your motor

Back