whats a good engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mygsr

i have a 90 integra gs and im planning to do a vtec swap into it which engine would fit with just minor or no modification except for the wireing or can i just swap a vtec head heads into my gs and would it fit good in my tranny need help!!!! :worthy:

first question is how many miles do you have on that bottom end...i wouldnt not recomend a head swap on a higher miles bottom end without refreshing it. all b series engines(except 88-91 lude) will fit your car with minor modifiction..i.e.swapping your original mounts onto new block. secondly the ls,gs,rs transmission kinna stinks. you would want to find the a 90-91gsr transmission(ys1) or a jdm b16 tranny(cable)s1,j1,y1 any of those trannies are far superior to your ls, but hard to come by.

Originally posted by 88bluehf@Jun 8 2005, 12:09 PM
first question is how many miles do you have on that bottom end...i wouldnt not recomend a head swap on a higher miles bottom end without refreshing it. all b series engines(except 88-91 lude) will fit your car with minor modifiction..i.e.swapping your original mounts onto new block. secondly the ls,gs,rs transmission kinna stinks. you would want to find the a 90-91gsr transmission(ys1) or a jdm b16 tranny(cable)s1,j1,y1 any of those trannies are far superior to your ls, but hard to come by.
[post=509663]Quoted post[/post]​

well i have around 145000 miles on the engine but its still strong you said something about refreshing it whats that and how could it be done?????/ but atleast the vtech heads will fit my car and all ill have to do is just wire it and i think getting a new ecu but that will mean i will have to get akit to convert my obd0 to obd1 and im planning on getting a new tranny soon so i look into the 93 integra grs or a b16 of a del sol

Just get an OBD0 b16 head, distributor and either a PW0 or PR3 ECU and you're good to go....well and an oil line kit and all the other shit needed for an LS/VTEC.

90-91gsr transmission(ys1) or a jdm b16 tranny(cable)s1,j1,y1 any of those trannies are far superior to your ls, but hard to come by.
[post=509663]Quoted post[/post]​

the GSR trannies you are refering to came out in 92-93 and s1's, j1's, and y1's are pretty much a dime a dozen. don't go scaring the kid. :lol:

90-91gsr transmission(ys1) or a jdm b16 tranny(cable)s1,j1,y1 any of those trannies are far superior to your ls, but hard to come by.

there was no gsr in 90 or 91. ys1 also was a JDM cable tranny that was mated to the b16. it was offered with LSD.

Originally posted by brian11to1+Jun 8 2005, 02:51 PM-->
@Jun 8 2005, 12:09 PM

there was no gsr in 90 or 91. ys1 also was a JDM cable tranny that was mated to the b16. it was offered with LSD.
[post=509761]Quoted post[/post]​

THANKS ALOT PEOPLE I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Jun 8 2005, 02:28 PM
Just get an OBD0 b16 head, distributor and either a PW0 or PR3 ECU and you're good to go....well and an oil line kit and all the other shit needed for an LS/VTEC.
[post=509750]Quoted post[/post]​

of a what car do i get OBD0 b16 head, distributor and either a PW0 or PR3 ECU and could a kit from ebaythat comes with the head gasket work on my gs with the b16 heads also with the b16 heads all i have to do is wire the vtec straight to the ecu or just plug and play :worthy:

obd0 b16 head you get from any 88-91 civic/crx sir from japan. pw0 or pr3 are also from the same car. check into golden eagle for a complete conversion kit for lsvtec conversions...

sorry bout the 90-91 gsr thing...lol..i was typing in a hurry and for some reason thought gsr and typed crx years...

i honestly wouldnt recomend doin a LS/VTEC it wont be as reliable as a whole obd0 b16 will be and if u dont do the LS/VTEC right ur jus gonna end up blowin it up in like a month. i would suggest jus getting a first gen jdm b16 and swapin that in. or if u have the money go with a b18c1- gsr motor. i think that to do a reliable and good LS/VTEC u would end up spending alot more then jus doin a complete VTEC swap.

im tired of the people saying lsvtec is not realiable. if you do it right, it is. it is not as simple as swapping the head on and calling it a day as most of you think it is.

Do a bit of searching on here about LS/VTECs, and I also suggest reading this.

yea well the way people were telling him to do a LS/VTEC was the unreliable way.... i know its reliable if done right but you have to spend more then a regular swap would cost to do it right so thats y i told him to go with the swap instead of LS/VTEC.

A properly built LS/VTEC will out produce a stock GSR/ITR b18c any and every day of the week. One built on a tight budget won't. I don't think I've ever seen a "help I'm having problems with my ls/vtec" thread on here unless it was from someone who just tried to throw it together themselves.

Back