Workout update

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
I posted about a month and a half ago that I was starting a new workout routine. Lots of us do this. Very few come back to tell you how it's going, and what's changed.

I'm pretty happy so far. In just over 1 1/2 months, I've dropped 14 pounds. I still eat a lot(probably more than before), and I'm not taking any supplements to cut down.

Four days per week, I lift weights, then run on the Elliptical Star Trac. I started off at 212 lbs. I weighed in yesterday at 198. I'm not worried about the weight very much, but at least for now it's representative of body shape changing. I don't wanna pull a Jeffie and take pics, but I think I look pretty good.

Some of my friends are describing me as being on crack because I have so much energy. Last week, I worked out five times, played two softball games, and still couldn't get tired. Good times...... :)

sweet!

anytime i need to lose weight, i stop drinking caffiene and having sweets. in 2-3 weeks i drop a few pounds.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jun 20 2004, 03:44 PM
stop drinking caffiene

No way!!!!!!!! I love coffee, if it's good. I have my own espresso machine in my kitchen that costs $400. Besides, how does drinking less caffiene cause you to lose weight? Cutting out soda will do that, but diet pop has caffiene also.

I've been drinking Pepsi ONE instead of the regular shit, and eating fruit at break times instead of candy. That's about the only real diet changes I've made. I'm a big eating advocate, as compared to cutting back. I think people are more likely to lose weight eating 4-5 times a day than just eating once.

Glad to hear everything is going good. :thumbsup:

Also glad you aren't on the Olsen Twins diet.

Originally posted by tab+Jun 20 2004, 04:51 PM-->
TurboMirage
@Jun 20 2004, 03:44 PM
stop drinking caffiene

No way!!!!!!!! I love coffee, if it's good. I have my own espresso machine in my kitchen that costs $400. Besides, how does drinking less caffiene cause you to lose weight? Cutting out soda will do that, but diet pop has caffiene also.

I've been drinking Pepsi ONE instead of the regular shit, and eating fruit at break times instead of candy. That's about the only real diet changes I've made. I'm a big eating advocate, as compared to cutting back. I think people are more likely to lose weight eating 4-5 times a day than just eating once.

any kind of carbonated beverage....

Tab the reason you want to post pictures is it helps to motivate you. If you see a nice gain from before to after it helps make you want to work harder knowing you're making a differance also it's fun to look back at your before pictures and laugh at your fat ass body. =)

When it comes to fitness I see nothing wrong with posting pictures too bad most people on this board are 12 years old and will crack gay jokes

it's no different then posting a picture of your car before and after painting/adding wheels to it

Good job.

Here's a tip though, don't run after you work out. Not a good idea. Run on days you don't do heavy lifting, like ab days. And you might want to look into L-glutamine because it helps your muscles not catalyze, so they don't break down in runs, making it so you don't burn muscle, but only fat.

Thanks for the tips. I don't let my muscle break down, because I take in protein shortly after my workouts. The running is the most important part of my workout right now, since my goal is a nice six pack and good shape. After I suck up a bit more, I'll train harder to build more muscle mass. I am getting stronger all the time, even with the weight lifting taking second place.

Here's a pic of me a little bit ago. I'm not where I want to be quite yet, but I don't feel so chubby now. Please don't photochop that chinese kids head onto my body, because that would be freaky. :lol:

s40d6835a07544.jpg

Originally posted by tab@Jun 21 2004, 01:45 AM
I don't let my muscle break down, because I take in protein shortly after my workouts.

run that one by me again?

so is taking protein shakes after a workout good or bad? im lost.

And I been taking amino acids from twinlabs.....two a day with breakfast. gives me a friggen migrane headache....are those any good as well?

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Jun 21 2004, 02:06 AM-->
@Jun 21 2004, 01:45 AM
I don't let my muscle break down, because I take in protein shortly after my workouts.

run that one by me again?

so is taking protein shakes after a workout good or bad? im lost.

And I been taking amino acids from twinlabs.....two a day with breakfast. gives me a friggen migrane headache....are those any good as well?

its late....

what i meant to say was what are the pros and cons? of letting ur muscle breakdown?

i always hit up a huge protein shake after every workout. then chill for a few hours and get a sudden rush of energy and go do more benchpress/curls/whatevers depending on the day.

and i agree with ur coffee opinion tab....

im so fucking addicted to starbucks and the rush I get from a triple shot that I cant go more than a few days without it.

wonder if drinking all that caffeine is bad? it honestly helps curb my appetite during the day and at night

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Jun 21 2004, 02:13 AM
and i agree with ur coffee opinion tab....

im so fucking addicted to starbucks and the rush I get from a triple shot that I cant go more than a few days without it.

wonder if drinking all that caffeine is bad? it honestly helps curb my appetite during the day and at night

Yeah, I love coffee. Stay away from the nighttime meals, and eat when you're hungry. Drink your shakes Tony.
my plan is to cut up first, then gain mass.

Precisely.

Amino acids are great, but not necessary for the most part. If your diet is adequate, which mine is, then the need isn't really there. It's like tossing a multi-vitamin on top of a well rounded diet, couldn't hurt(except for those migraines :lol: ).

Um, on the protein and muscle breakdown......I have read several articles, magazines, and talked this over with my best friend. He went to college for Kinesiology, sports medicine. That doesn't make me a pro, but he would correct any of my incorrect statements. I also took four Fitness Lab classes, and four weight training classes at the college level. You need to take in protein within two hours of your workout, in either direction. If you don't have something for your body to pull from, it will use whatever resources that are available. Your lean muscle mass is what actually burns calories. If you let your muscle mass degrade, your ability to burn calories will decrease accordingly.
It's really hard to pack on mass if you're trying to stay cut. In order to build mass you need to take in more calories than your body needs.

Yes and no. I agree with the first sentence, since the way that you train your muscles is different. I am getting cut by running. You can gain mass by taking in exactly what your body needs. Taking in too much can make you chubbier, but also ensures that you definitely have enough coming in. Protein intake is important to maintain or build muscle mass.

Right now, I'm cutting down, but my muscles are still growing larger, and more defined. I am getting stronger by the week.

No, I'm not all that ripped yet, and don't have visions of grandure. I am progressing towards my goals nicely, and so I'm pleased with myself in that regard.

I eat a ton. This isn't a diet for me. Dieting causes Ketosis, muscle loss, lethargy, sickness, and a poor attitude. If I don't eat anything before lunch, I'll be sick to my stomach before lunch even comes. I'd be the black guy under the tree eating beans on Survivor. I'll kill the chickens and get voted off, I don't care. I have to eat, plenty. :)

I'm trying to get to a single digit body fat, then do a clean bulk.

A clean bulk is when you use more calories then you need, but you use whole grains, and protein shakes, and tuna, and such. No fatty foods whatsoever. Remember its all good to eat as much as you want, as long as the food is healthy enough.

Right now, I'm at 11% or so, and I want to be about 8 when I start doing a clean bulk. I'm a lightweight though, only 155lbs on a 6' frame, but I have a really high point value for my powerlifts. (Olympic point system/bodyweight).

Also, I get these vitamins from costco, they have 7 pills, every thing you need from calcium to your daily b12's to vitamin E. Makes it so you're not missing all the important shit in your diet.

About five years ago, while in college, I had 8% body fat, at 195 pounds. Right now, I'm at ~200. I'm 6'0" tall, and probably 12%. I have a little more fat, and a little less muscle than five years ago, but I used to work out 2-3 hours a day, 4-6 days a week. That's college for ya. Whoop it up boys, it's a lot harder to maintain intensity when you get older and have a full time job, plus a house to keep up. My laundry doesn't do itself while I'm working out, or putting in engines for friends.

I'm trying to get to a single digit body fat, then do a clean bulk.

You, me, and Tonyd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm lost now....

I'm torn between ditching the last remaining pound of fat on my stomach and building up my arms and chest....

I run 4 miles a week (just started a few weeks ago)
and bench every other day as well as curl and so on and so forth every other day as well. I rest two days out of the week.

And then do my crunches whenever my stomach feels better from the last time I belched out 300 crunches in a single day.

i also got a high metabolism, and within the first 2 weeks noticed the first part of my 6 pack coming in on top. (lost fat on top, REAL quick) just need to ditch the lower fat on my belly (bout a 1/2 pound or so) and im good to go.

i wonder if im going about this the right way?

I cant do coke anymore I dont think...

In order to do coke, you need to smoke cigs....

I dont think I could get all coked out and NOT smoke a stogie...

They just go hand in hand.

I got the drinking booze without smoking part down.......

but I dont think I could go without a ciggy while doing coke.

fuck you cigarettes !!!! you ruined my health, you ruined my body, and now you ruin my ability to do coke all night long :angry:

Dieting causes Ketosis, muscle loss, lethargy, sickness, and a poor attitude.

Ya I tried the adkins for a month to get rid of a small beer stomach I always wanted to get rid of. I used to have a 6 pack when I was a kid and wanted it back. Well the diet worked, too well...now it made me too skinny and I am having trouble gaining any good mass back again. What an adverse affect!

Back