'05 STI Vs 98 Supra TT 6sp

'05 STI VS '98 SUPRA TT 6sp

• 1998 Toyota SUPRA TwinTurbo 6Sp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was genetically engineered in 1976 by Toyota Motor Corp to drive their Supra line of automobiles. My heart is always with them, even in the 3rd gen (What a fuckin tank).

I would rock that 98. I would sign the papers before my erection was complete.

God, I want another 1982. My favorite year of all of them. Man, you bastard. someone buy my CRX so I can get back in a Supra !

Not my dream year, but my favorite gen:
gallery_28114_460_30075.jpg

Addition: Wanna see something even worse ?

:cry:

http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show...&TheDealer=2010

What I wouldn't do for $7000. YEah, it's auto, but I have almost everything to convert it in my garage :cry:

Quoted post[/post]]
I vote the STI, easily upgradeable, will become a collector's/rare car in 5-10 years. Brand spanking new under WARRANTY and it can't be too bad in the snow.

Why on earth would you buy an STI over a car which can make 800whp on a stock motor?

Here are some pictures of supras 2 of my friends own just to inspire you.

gallery_27272_473_100926.jpg

gallery_27272_473_1334.jpg

This <span style="color:#33FF33">green</span> one made 650hp on the dyno last month. Its trap times at the track are around 137ish . . . good for low 10's (he ran the thing on crappy street tires).

gallery_27272_473_118225.jpg

gallery_27272_473_43942.jpg

gallery_27272_473_110085.jpg

You're a jerk, you got me shopping for Supras online again. :cry:

Also, remember that he mentioned it will be stock, not for race. And by that I can tell you all (As an owner of 14 Supras in my life, and 1 WRX) That the Supra is at least 6 times the car the WRX will ever be.

Let the flaming begin.

Quoted post[/post]]
When you do the research on the 98 you'll find out stuff about that car will blow your mind.

The 98s were intended to fulfill the 97 orders - And Toyota actually spent a lot of money getting them legal in the US.

Got any good links for an honest guy lookin to learn something?

g00gle blows.

Quoted post[/post]]

Also, remember that he mentioned it will be stock, not for race.

Good luck keeping it stock. . .

650hp only cost the owner of the <span style="color:#33CC00">green</span> supra another 5k (Greddy Sponsorship) including the AEM EMS. . . the torque freaks guy even flew in to tune his car.

Quoted post[/post]]
I was genetically engineered in 1976 by Toyota Motor Corp to drive their Supra line of automobiles. My heart is always with them, even in the 3rd gen (What a fuckin tank).

I would rock that 98. I would sign the papers before my erection was complete.

God, I want another 1982. My favorite year of all of them. Man, you bastard. someone buy my CRX so I can get back in a Supra !

Not my dream year, but my favorite gen:
gallery_28114_460_30075.jpg

Addition: Wanna see something even worse ?

:cry:

http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show...&TheDealer=2010

What I wouldn't do for $7000. YEah, it's auto, but I have almost everything to convert it in my garage :cry:
hey steve, I remember telling you one time about my step-dad's old supra that he sold to my cousin. my cousin only bought it because he needed a daily driver. I'll try and get some pics for you and i'll see if he wants to sell it.

BTW- if you forgot, it's a 82 Celica Supra, only cosmetic mods are some 16 inch old school enkies (picture a style that clayton would like) and the front bumper from an 84 Supra.

blah blah blah, 800hp on stock bottom end. blah blah blah. you are still lookin at big money to buy, big money to insure, big money to upgrade. o yea, and 800hp in this tiny ass powerband. Plus supra's suck with traction

i'm tired of all the supra nut huggin. i dont mind the way celerity is though, he's actually into the cars, not the scene, not the movie.

i'd rock the STi. I wouldn't ever buy a last gen supra. Unless someone handed it to me for some retarded low amount, cause i would turn around and sell it. Buy a 350Z. VQ platform is better built then the 2jz or the RB. And its the next "big" engine in the import scene. Mark my words.

I would say Supra. Theres only a handful, better investment, probably more reliable, and moddable as hell.

With the BPU+++ you'll probably make 450whp and still get good gas mileage in the mid 20s on the highway.

Anyway, cars arent really "good investments." Most cars hit the shitter and Japanese sports cars arent really collectible either. Maybe in a few years, but right now you won't find someone willing to pay six figure digits for one. Buy and have fun with it.

Quoted post[/post]]
blah blah blah, 800hp on stock bottom end. blah blah blah. you are still lookin at big money to buy, big money to insure, big money to upgrade. o yea, and 800hp in this tiny ass powerband. Plus supra's suck with traction

Its easy to make comments like that when you dont know anybody with one.

Take a ride in a 650ish hp supra and then try to advocate buying a wrx over one.

By the way, supra parts are just as expensive as wrx parts.

Wow.... looks like the voting results so far is a land slide. haha, i went to both supraforums and wrx forums, and did a poll kind of thing also, and of course you know the outcome of each forum. thats why its here, find a middle ground, the honda lovers. alot of you guys make great points. and about the modding it idea, i would most likely keep the moding it to a minimum, BPU at the most, rock some nice wheels, lip, head unit, throw down the targa top and cruise it, and the comment about the family issue, the misses has a '04 WRX in silver, lol thats going to be our four door beater .... not completly set on it yet, still talking to guy about prices. so keep the comments comming

Heh... Ok, thanks for remembering (Sheesh dude, that was what... 2 years ago? Dayum) and thanks for keeping me in mind, but you're in California - And getting a car from Cali to me is going to cost $2000 or more. I ain't got that scratch. Actually, if you look in my bank, $2 is too rich for my blood.

But if you can get that Supra for yourself, I do suggest it.

As far Clayton's taste in wheels... :ph34r:

Quoted post[/post]]
Heh... Ok, thanks for remembering (Sheesh dude, that was what... 2 years ago? Dayum) and thanks for keeping me in mind, but you're in California - And getting a car from Cali to me is going to cost $2000 or more. I ain't got that scratch. Actually, if you look in my bank, $2 is too rich for my blood.

But if you can get that Supra for yourself, I do suggest it.

As far Clayton's taste in wheels... :ph34r:
well, If he wants to sell it cheap enough, you might be able to ship it out there.
Claytons wheel taste :ph34r:

the 02 WRX wagon in my driveway is the same exact car (I can close my eyes and I'm right there) as my 87 NA Supra which was mostly stock (Except that 12.x:1 compression that 3 BHGs get you). The WRX can't be fooled in a corner, and the Supra oversteered (Not oversteered easily, but you could make it drift). The Supra is more competent at speed, and when you're pussy footing around town it's better on gas. The WRX of course has too many doors, and it shifts like a dump truck. The Supra was smooth and competent - and when I had to switch the Vette for another car, it was Porsche 928 or the Supra - And I chose correctly. (Although the resale for my 87 was nothing)

I only talk about the 87 because it was the last one I owned. I have owned 3 1982s, 4 1984s an 86.5 and the 87. I had an 88T project, but never drove it. I only drove one of the 82s and didn't spend much time in the 84s. Oh, and I had an 80 for awhile too, but didn't drive it. In my humble opinion, the Supra was the most confident feeling, planted and overall great cars to own. I've been in some dangerous situations in Supras (Things like semi's jackknifing next to me, and rock slides and surprise encounters on shitty roads) and the Supra never let me down.

There are several schools of though on Supras though, so watch out for misinformation. First off, the 3rd gen Supra is a beefy, tank of a car - But it's not "large" nor is it overly heavy (You can get the Targa top Turbos though, those can push 3400 pounds). The interior space on the 3rd gen is cramped (It's a 2nd gen with extended features, thick doors, thicker seats, thicker console, thicker dash... and it all encroaches on the interior space). But while everyone ranks on the 3rd gen, It's still the most popular one for Supra enthusiasts.

The Supra world is still very divided - and there is no comradery at all. 4th gen guys stick to themselves, 3rd gen guys stick to themselves, and 2nd gen guys stick to the 1st gen crowds fancying themselves as "Enthusiasts" and "Purists". I'm the latter of those groups.

Another thing to remember is that all Supras are just as fast as the others. a Turbo Supra is about as fast as the TT (The 6 speed and the lighter body makes up for what little difference), and all the NAs are just as fast as each other (Including the 1st gens). A 4th gen SE, a 3rd gen NA, and any 2nd gen / 1981 first gen are all just as fast. The 4th gen handles better because of it's larger road footprint, and the1st gen is the least stable because it's a narrow car.

The 3rd gen and 4th gens have controls and buttons that are so large and clunky I could easily use a shoe to activate them. I mean, you can turn your foglights on from 100 yards with an open scope AR15. The benefit of this design principle is that the car simply works. It's like Russian armor. 1st and 2nd gens are more delicate in nature, with fine switches and controls. If you're angry, and you hit the cancel for the 1982 Cruise control - You're in for one helluva repair (Those switches are literally like clocks).

The 4th gen was Toyota's groundbreaker. Notice that everyone copied the 4th gen as much as law would allow. The large headlights, the basket handle wing, the wide-open gauge layout and the smooth sides were elements found in cars for the next 10 years. And to that end, the Supra will appear a bit dated.

Do not own a 4th gen if you go into areas where you can't always keep an eye on it. You're talking about one of the hottest cars in the import world. It was the cheapest car featured on the Gone in 60 list, it's been the star of many movies (James Bond if you include the 2000GT) and people will go to many extremes to take it from you. At night, it should be locked in a garage with a security system. Most pro theives will walk past an SLK to go to a 4th gen Supra.

Neither the Supra nor the WRX will be particularly cheap to own, but mods are slightly different. With the WRX stuff is about the same price, but the returns on investment are also high. You can drop $1200 on an exhaust system for either (Which I think is absolutely NUTS) and you can easily spend $1500 on tires. Most quality support for the Supra is found in HK$, Greddy, ApexI, some real out of this world Japanese grown stuff, and best and least cheap - TRD.

Also, Noah told me this one:
What do 400, 500, 600 and 700 hp Supras have in common?

12 second time slips.

And it's true. A Supra will always be what Toyota intended it to be - No matter what you do to it. It will be a corner carver road beast - Ready to take on anyone in the daily street terrain, or twisty road track. Drifters don't use them because it's tough to get them sideways (Although RX7 FCs are too.. hmmm) and it's not a cheap hobby.

In conclusion, I still prefer the 2nd gen as a car to own for daily life. But no Supra will ever let you down (NEVER buy an 86.5), the 7MG(T)E eats headgaskets by no fault of your own, and the 4th gens are the closest mass-production has ever come to godly, real-world GT cars.

Wow thats the best reply for this thread anyone can ask for. great write Celerity. As for the purchase, I'm about 2 days away from it, ive got money in hand and hes got flakers and low baller calling him, I can spend my time and sit back to make this decision because the current owner of the car is a friend of mine that i would have never thought have a car like this. knowing that he would give me some time, i told him to give me a few weeks, Im right in the middle of moving, and I think it would be better if i had all my stuff in my new house, with the realistic car of my dreams in the garage.

Quoted post[/post]]

12 second time slips.

11 second time slips if you live in SPFLD MA :)

The 6spd supras will run slower times than the automatics.

Oh yeah, Vinny Ten and Gilly Polermo(Sp) can attest to that. All that shifting, the clutch work alone robs milliseconds.

That said, I would never own a Japanese Automatic. EVER. my Celica was enough for me.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

12 second time slips.

11 second time slips if you live in SPFLD MA :)

The 6spd supras will run slower times than the automatics.
Where's this supra?? I am from easthampton and work in holyoke and springfield(sometimes). I think i have only seen 2 supra's of that gen driving around.

Oh and my vote goes tot he supra.

there are about 10-12 in dallas and 20+ in Austin....if you wanna make the drive.

Quoted post[/post]]
Where's this supra?? I am from easthampton and work in holyoke and springfield(sometimes). I think i have only seen 2 supra's of that gen driving around.

Oh and my vote goes tot he supra.
If you own a Supra that is so worked, and thus beautiful, that it does 11 seconds - do you really think you'll see it being dragged through the streets of Holyoke or Springfield ?

That bitch would be in my living room. Not garage. The Garage is too below it.

Also, I'm shopping for Supras now you jerk.

"Buy my Civic"

I chose the Supra. It has been my dream car forever. Supras tend to make the panties drop. They are pretty much the business.

Back