Airjockie's AE86 Engine Rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

did a little tuning on the car this week-end, I got one carb left to clean out...but, something worked right...the idle on one carb was clogged...so now it runs a little better...but it runs way to lean...so I need to wait and find some jets for the carbs...or something...these damn carbs are stumping me like crazy...tommorrow, I plan on taking the header off again, and try to weld the cat onto it, so it might be a little more quiter...instead of sounding like I'm running an open header :lol: then back to the carbs.... :(

I feels like it wants to rip out and do good, but it just doesn't have any pick up and go, and when the carbs are WOT, it lugs along....but it sounds mean as fuck...but no go....once it gets tuned...it will be a badass from hell.

Maybe I might trade these 44mm Mikunis for some 40mm Webers... :unsure:

nope....Weber's, Mikuni's, and Dorritoes (italaian carbs...I can't spell) all have the same bolt up pattern....

ive got a shitload of doritos right here if you want to try them. i dont see a bolt pattern, though.

I just stared and stared at the screen, and it dawned on me, and I cracked up laughing .....

"Delorto" hahahahaha

Anyway, that engine is running, and my engine is running, looks like the Toyota Crew is comin to get you :)

-> Steve

Well...I took one of the carbs off today....and tore it all apart. :ph34r:

re-cleaned all the jets and nozzles, and swapped the butter-fly plates around...and blasted everything with carb cleaner...

found a few problems...

one of the accelerator nozzles was spraying fuel the wrong way...the damn thing was in backwards. :angry:

and when the other nozzles were flushed..a sliver of brass floated out from a tube...so I hope that will fix it.

slap it on tommorrow and see what happens :ph34r:

It runs smoother than before....now it's to the point of actually tuning it...I still have a small problem when the carbs are switching from the idle jets to the main jets...it like to stumble a lot.

On a side note..after putting around the block, the car prolly has two miles on the engine..and the second compression check was done...

#1 Cyl is 130, #2 Cyl is 120, #3 Cyl is 130, #4 Cyl is 125.....

remember...the #3 was the cylinder with the home-made compression piston ring ;)

Tommorow is Exhaust fabbing day...the car still sounds like it's running an open header :ph34r: so I can't really rev the car in the neighborhood to tune the carbs like I want...hehe

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jul 26 2004, 11:01 AM
ive got a shitload of doritos right here if you want to try them. i dont see a bolt pattern, though.
[post=368173]Quoted post[/post]​

i'd use the spicier nacho kind.. they should pep up the car a little bit more then say, cooler ranch..

Originally posted by 90 accord+Jul 30 2004, 04:08 AM-->
TurboMirage
@Jul 26 2004, 11:01 AM
[post=368173]Quoted post[/post]​

i'd use the spicier nacho kind.. they should pep up the car a little bit more then say, cooler ranch..
[post=370266]Quoted post[/post]​

wtf... spicier nacho? spicier than what?? I never really understood that...

On a side note - excellent developments on the engine, Clayton. I look forward to vid clips. Also, I would have joined the Toyota Crew with an '83 Supra, but the guy that's fixing it up doesn't believe in leaving things like they should be, so I'm going to a S13 :p

Not a sellout, I just know what I want. I'd get a Gen2 Supra but aside from the one Keith's building, there aren't any others that haven't been intruduced to trees at 80 MPH

bye bye bandwidth... :p

oh well. its for a good cause anyway. B)

Back