B, time for a new Genny?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i don't really want the genesis any more... i'm bored with it, and i'm annoyed with the clutch. it's time for a change. I've had this car since jul 09. It's the longest i've ever owned a car by a few years gap. almost 6.5 years! that's 3 standard deviations longer than usual lol
I don't want 2 cars either. its more in insurance even with the multi discount. And if i'm going to have a 2nd vehicle, it's going to be some sort of truck/utility, but i don't want a truck to drive to work every day either.

and lets face it, half of my client stuff happens last minuet. I'll probably have the wrong car that day as just my luck which negates the purpose.

i'm going to look at this guy on lunch tomorrow if i have time.
http://www.northbayimports.com/Certified-2011-Mercedes-Benz-C300-East-Windsor-CT/vd/30766427

I love those guys. I've bought 4 cars from them and sent two co-workers there for their Mercedes and they were thrilled.

I don't think you are going to be happy with that car though. I drove a few and they were so sluggish. I know you are not looking for a fast car but hell, if my car is going to be slow as fuck I better get good MPG's and this car doesn't have that either. You will be lucky to get 22-24MPG with that 3.0 6cyl with a 0-60 around 6.2

If I was you I'd get that 2012 A4 2.0T with 29k on it they have over there. You will get much better MPG and it's faster than the C300 with less HP an TQ with 211/258 0-60 at 5.8(compared to 6.1 for the C300). Plus if you get bored you can APR it. And you will get bored with a stock car. Not much you can do without breaking the bank to the C300

It's a little more but it has half the miles and its a year newer

http://www.northbayimports.com/Certified-2012-Audi-A4-20TQ-Premium-East-Windsor-CT/vd/30191892

just got back from checking out the '11 c300.

it's nice. not a ding or scrape on the thing from what i can see. it hasn't even been detailed yet. they just got it on the lot wedensday. It's still pretty clean, but you can tell it needs a detail. it drove straight, no brake pulling or anything.

has plenty of power. economy mode IS a dog forces shifting at like 5k. But you hit that sport button and shit gets real and pulls hard from 5500-6800k. lol Ok, it's not super fast, but it has plenty of nut to move itself. I had no problem getting it up to 80 on a quick scoot down a back road and then hammering the brakes pretty good down to 30. It's not sloppy at all and the steering is pretty good too. Results as desired. the automatic kick-downshifting is a little slow, but it does have the ability to manually knock it down a gear with the +/- slap.

The seats feel a little wide. It doesn't have the bolstering i'm used to in the genesis. But, there's also 15 different buttons to adjust the seat.... even the headrest is power. lol I'm pretty sure i can dial it in a little better.

Looking at the other c300 sports in the lot, it has less wheel gap. It looks hot. But that might just be different tires... ride felt 'factory'

Trade in val came in a bit under what i am looking for... but i guess i should expect that seeing as it was in an accident and has the clutch issues. We're a grand apart which isn't that bad. He's going to see what he can do. They just got the car in and it hasn't gone through their 'fake cpo' process yet. basically they do everything the merc dealer would to cpo would but it's not valid for any merc warranty and they don't jack the price 3 grand to compensate. it's only 1 year from merc anyway. odds are, it probably wouldn't get used. This place is only 15min from work so it is pretty convenient to drop off a car, and take a loaner for the day.
anyway, maybe there's some leeway to play here. not everything that doesn't meet cpo levels (ie, brake life renaming, etc) can be skipped so long as it's road worthy and they've priced the car with all of this in mind already. He's going to make some calls and see if there's demand for my car somewhere which will net them a few bucks more to play with on the whole sale. awaiting more info.
The tires all look good- sport conti's on it all around and from what i can see through the spokes in dress clothes, the pads have meat on them. the rotors do have some 'lines' on them, but what set doesn't? i noticed no shaking of any kind in any braking. i miss heated front seats. i will love that in the winter. the awd is nice too. i think my snows will work. i have 225/245's and this car has 225/255's stock. i can probably get away with it. if not, my fronts are a season out from being replaced, and i can go to a 215 to keep it in check... will consult with TireRack.com vs the awd aspect ratio tolerance :)
plus, since i'm going to put it back to stock, i'll have the intake, catch cans, and flasher tool to sell which should get me 500 ish back which is basically the 'pawn stars' meet in the middle. i also have a boost gauge, a camber bolt kit, and braided fuel rail feed line kit all BNIB which can put me even closer to the number i had in mind. and, the snow wheels after i rape the tires off, or decide to just sell the whole set and get new snows.

back seat is a little cramped, but bumping the front seats up a notch makes it usable. I can put the taller guy in the front and the normal people in the back no problem. its not a full size car so that's expected

so, i'm looking at 10k+tax/reg/title out of pocket. which is more than i wanted to spend. if i put all of it on a 3 year loan, its less than 325/ m i'm guessing.
but not having a car payment is real nice too.

An other option is to just fiance the whole thing and try to sell the genesis on my own. which may take time... and effort... or won't sell at all for a price higher than the dealer's offer. I really don't have time or desire to deal with it. that's worth a few bucks to just get rid of the hassle. And even once i do sell it, i have a lump sum i can put on the loan, but it won't lower my payment either- just will end it sooner. So monthly, it's still a higher out of pocket cost to me to do it hat way, even if it is for a shorter time period.

decisions...

I dig them man. I think its a beautiful car. And looks like it was pulled from their site.

take the genesis to carmax and see what they say.

i wont' buy another white car. white or black are cancer to me unless i live in arizona or california. and only buy it because you really want the car. dont' buy it because you need the passenger room or the genesis sucks. Get something you want. you don't have kids yet.

just got back from checking out the '11 c300.

it's nice. not a ding or scrape on the thing from what i can see. it hasn't even been detailed yet. they just got it on the lot wedensday. It's still pretty clean, but you can tell it needs a detail. it drove straight, no brake pulling or anything.

has plenty of power. economy mode IS a dog forces shifting at like 5k. But you hit that sport button and shit gets real and pulls hard from 5500-6800k. lol Ok, it's not super fast, but it has plenty of nut to move itself. I had no problem getting it up to 80 on a quick scoot down a back road and then hammering the brakes pretty good down to 30. It's not sloppy at all and the steering is pretty good too. Results as desired. the automatic kick-downshifting is a little slow, but it does have the ability to manually knock it down a gear with the +/- slap.

The seats feel a little wide. It doesn't have the bolstering i'm used to in the genesis. But, there's also 15 different buttons to adjust the seat.... even the headrest is power. lol I'm pretty sure i can dial it in a little better.

Looking at the other c300 sports in the lot, it has less wheel gap. It looks hot. But that might just be different tires... ride felt 'factory'

Trade in val came in a bit under what i am looking for... but i guess i should expect that seeing as it was in an accident and has the clutch issues. We're a grand apart which isn't that bad. He's going to see what he can do. They just got the car in and it hasn't gone through their 'fake cpo' process yet. basically they do everything the merc dealer would to cpo would but it's not valid for any merc warranty and they don't jack the price 3 grand to compensate. it's only 1 year from merc anyway. odds are, it probably wouldn't get used. This place is only 15min from work so it is pretty convenient to drop off a car, and take a loaner for the day.
anyway, maybe there's some leeway to play here. not everything that doesn't meet cpo levels (ie, brake life renaming, etc) can be skipped so long as it's road worthy and they've priced the car with all of this in mind already. He's going to make some calls and see if there's demand for my car somewhere which will net them a few bucks more to play with on the whole sale. awaiting more info.
The tires all look good- sport conti's on it all around and from what i can see through the spokes in dress clothes, the pads have meat on them. the rotors do have some 'lines' on them, but what set doesn't? i noticed no shaking of any kind in any braking. i miss heated front seats. i will love that in the winter. the awd is nice too. i think my snows will work. i have 225/245's and this car has 225/255's stock. i can probably get away with it. if not, my fronts are a season out from being replaced, and i can go to a 215 to keep it in check... will consult with TireRack.com vs the awd aspect ratio tolerance :)
plus, since i'm going to put it back to stock, i'll have the intake, catch cans, and flasher tool to sell which should get me 500 ish back which is basically the 'pawn stars' meet in the middle. i also have a boost gauge, a camber bolt kit, and braided fuel rail feed line kit all BNIB which can put me even closer to the number i had in mind. and, the snow wheels after i rape the tires off, or decide to just sell the whole set and get new snows.

back seat is a little cramped, but bumping the front seats up a notch makes it usable. I can put the taller guy in the front and the normal people in the back no problem. its not a full size car so that's expected

so, i'm looking at 10k+tax/reg/title out of pocket. which is more than i wanted to spend. if i put all of it on a 3 year loan, its less than 325/ m i'm guessing.
but not having a car payment is real nice too.

An other option is to just fiance the whole thing and try to sell the genesis on my own. which may take time... and effort... or won't sell at all for a price higher than the dealer's offer. I really don't have time or desire to deal with it. that's worth a few bucks to just get rid of the hassle. And even once i do sell it, i have a lump sum i can put on the loan, but it won't lower my payment either- just will end it sooner. So monthly, it's still a higher out of pocket cost to me to do it hat way, even if it is for a shorter time period.

decisions...

Sounds like you pretty muched loved it....aside from the shitty MPGs and lack of power(IMO).. It's a beautiful car...I thought it was a bit tighter than the 328 in the interior department....

Owning it in 3 years will be nice too.

It's time to grow up and get a Sedan...your not 22 anymore :)

I think the white is hot.
ive had a bunch of black cars so i know what i'm getting in to. I go to the car wash once a week or so anyway.

I want more utility/hauling. I mean, i can't even fit one of my guitars in a case in my geneis -- let alone my amp. i can't go jam with anyone. and that's beyond any people value. big boxes at home depot? not going to happen. at least with the 4 doors and back seat, i can get something 4x the size home than i could with the Genesis.

kbb fair is just a few hundred more than their offer. i brought my m to car max. they offered me like 12k for it. my trade in on the gen was over 20. so, pretty much have 0 faith in carmax being a better offer. and if i do the trade there, then i gotta figure out transportation and stuff as i'll be car-less for some time.

the shitty mpg's are on point with the geneisis. i average 21 combined. at $2 gas, it's a non-issue. I get to expense some of my mileage too.

I like the abstract nav (simple "turn left in X miles" display) in the cluster, not in the middle of the dash. makes it handy to keep the eyes all in one place

I think the white is sexy as hell. I just hate how dirty it gets. But it sounds like you have everything covered. If they give you within $1000 of what you could sell the genesis for on craigslist, go for it.

I love the white on black, and I think it actually doesn't get as dirty as other colors. That car is identical to the fiance's moms, except I don't think she has hid's.

My C63 was a 2010, basically the same car just a very different motor. :p You can find good deals on those AMG's now! :)

Would not buy a regular C class. Watch for that ignition module, it can leave you stranded at around 70k miles and costs about $1,200 to fix.

Sounds like you've already bought it, so go ahead and buy it. Never hurts to get an estimate from car max. They may offer more, get the check and go straight to the other dealer, or just go to them and say car max offered me x, beat it. And leave with the merc same night. Personally I love white cars, hopefully the next cars I buy will be white.

My C63 was a 2010, basically the same car just a very different motor. :p You can find good deals on those AMG's now! :)
yeah, i looked... they are still fetching 45k which is way out of what i'm looking to spend.
the 12 mpg city rating also is not going to cut it.
they are also only RWD.. im kinda liking getting back into an awd car for the winter.
Would not buy a regular C class. Watch for that ignition module, it can leave you stranded at around 70k miles and costs about $1,200 to fix.
yeah, i'm aware of that and the taillight issue seems to be common too. I asked the dealer if they can pull up more details on the service records.

Sounds like you've already bought it, so go ahead and buy it. Never hurts to get an estimate from car max. They may offer more, get the check and go straight to the other dealer, or just go to them and say car max offered me x, beat it. And leave with the merc same night. Personally I love white cars, hopefully the next cars I buy will be white.
i've committed to nothing. i'm still pretty torn.
let's be clear - i want it. but the older/wiser me says to wait another year - the gen won't go too much lower than it already is... and these will continue to drop a lot. The other side says you only live once. enjoy it now while you want it.

i was gonna put the car back to stock tonight (intake, catch can removal) but decided to wait. nothing is going to happen this weekend at this point anyway.

i ran some insurance quotes tonight and they are obnoxious as well. like 3x what im paying for the genesis. not sure if my accident is the cause of that or what. my rate hasn't changed much since.. 15 bucks a month more if i recall. and since it usually goes up 10 a year, that's not bad.
my agency is closed for the weekend, so i can't talk to them.

Yup, forgot about the taillight thing. I had that too!

You can find C63's in the 30's all day. CPO with 32k miles on it:
http://www.mypreownedmercedes.com/a...des-of-orland-park-for-sale-wddgf7hbxaf475574

I actually averaged about 20-21 MPG on my commute in that car, stop and go traffic. It really wasn't bad being a 6.2L V8 and all. It would suck in the winter for sure.. lol

AWD I hate to say, but get an S4.

300C with a hemi. It's imported from DETROIT!

http://www.chrysler.com/en/300/300c/

by the time you option that thing out its 45+k

I would rather have the Chevy SS, it's like a 4 door Corvette Sedan. Its only 46+k but there is not much to add for options other than a sunroof, it comes pretty loaded with leather, nav, back up camera, 6spd manual, 4G internet, bose system, heated and power seats, Heads up display, Magnetic Ride Control, remote starter(if you choose automatic)..it mean its pretty loaded. The only real options are auto tranny and a sunroof.

O and of course 415Hp 415TQ, standard..... and a 4.7 second 0-60 ...I can't think of any RWD 4 door Sedan out there that comes with 415HP standard for under 47k.

And right now you can get a fully loaded 6spd manual 2015 for $45,640

http://www.terryvillechevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2015-Chevrolet-SS-4dr_Sdn-Terryville-CT/2589404183

Yup, forgot about the taillight thing. I had that too!

You can find C63's in the 30's all day. CPO with 32k miles on it:
http://www.mypreownedmercedes.com/a...des-of-orland-park-for-sale-wddgf7hbxaf475574

I actually averaged about 20-21 MPG on my commute in that car, stop and go traffic. It really wasn't bad being a 6.2L V8 and all. It would suck in the winter for sure.. lol

AWD I hate to say, but get an S4.
$40k for a 2010 is a lot. I just saw (not recommending, just mentioning) a 2015 Lexus 200h f sport (whatever that meanst) for almost the exact same price.
http://www.lexusofbellevue.com/Vehi...CT_200h-Hybrid_F_SPORT-Bellevue-WA/2565808923

Back