b20vtec or stroked b18c

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

a little help guys.
i have the chance to get a fully built b20vtec or a fully built stroked 18c. both motors will be about 2.0 liters with high compression pistons, shot peened rods, knife edge and balance crank. the heads will both be ported and polished, full skunk2 valve train with type r intake manifold and all parts ie oil pump water pump will be up graded to oem type-r. the only difference is the b18c will have more aggressive cams.
which would be more worth the money.
does anyone know the benifits of one over the other. i have read about the b20vtec but haven't heard much about a stroked b18c.

whats the stroke on the b18c? i dont think you can reach quite 2L with just stroking the b18c

I would suggest aftermarket rods since it seems like your planning on pushing the rev's up up up.

both of the motors will be similar, I don't like storker kits since they lower your rod stroke ratio and also cost a fortune compared to resleeving and getting larger pistons.

Milan

maybe this will help. the b18c is going to be bored out and sleeved to 83mm and then stroked, so its just a little over 2000cc. i just figured the oil squirters would help make the engine rev higher.
where as the b20vtec is over bored to 84.5mm.
question is would it have the same tourque? or would i be depending on the motor rev high to make my power?

go with the b18c cause it has a built in crank girdle but upgrade the water pump and oil pump to ITR units.

you could also buy an aftermarket girdle(z10 eng makes a good one) for the b20 which already has the ITR oil and water pumps.

your choice, they would be very similar setups but i would keep the b18c in favor of the better r/s and built in oil squirters.

Yeah, GSR with some jumbo sleeves will be nice, it should give you what you want, and with both motors the same size pistons there should only be roughly a 35cc difference in displacement.

Milan

What your forgettin' the B20/VTEC Frankenstein ain't all that good on high revs. Tha's why I'm stuck on the samething. I would like a Type R Block from Japan though, hehe.

my LS/VTEC is only making power til about 8400rpm... so i say go with the GSR... most likely the amount of power wont stop pouring in til arounf 9500rpm

im building a GSR block as we speak just for that purpose

:ph34r: :ph34r:

And why is the CRV block not good to rev high, and if say because of the rod stroke ratio then just to let you know that it's not that much off of the R's or LS's.

Milan

The CRV block was designed to do things that required torque. IE Rock climbing, mud slinging, stuff you see those guys wit' the 6 foot lifts doin'.

And it's no different than the B18 other than the bore size and sleeve construction. Given the greater distribution of the side loading across a larger cylinder surface area, it will handle revving just as well as a normal 89mm stroke B18.

go b18 route. you can rev 9k+ and make power all the way up till there. ppl just use the b20 block cause its cheaper to get the torque but it wont handle high revving VTEC heads for long. spend the extra $$ and be happy you did.

I doubt the crv of all things was designed to do rock climbing with a 2 liter 4 cylinder, 130-140ft lbs of torque doesn't pull a heavy ass small suv up some rocks man, not even with awd.

CRV, LS, GS, RS bottoms can handle high revs, i have seen it, Calesta has ran it, and it works. We usually recommend resleeving well since for an extra 500 bucks while the motor is apart anyways you can reenforce the bottomend, a nice z10 crank girdle will help out with high rpm virbration also.

Milan

Then would you mind tellin' me why Top Fuel hasn't done a B20/VTEC racer yet?

They are made for that purpose, also explain why the new CRV B20Z is AWD?

X2daC Posted on Aug 18 2003, 12:24 PM
Then would you mind tellin' me why Top Fuel hasn't done a B20/VTEC racer yet?

the fastest one running right now is a bored and stroked b18c1. they have taken it to 2.2L and they also just broke into the 9's.

X2daC Posted on Aug 18 2003, 12:24 PM
They are made for that purpose, also explain why the new CRV B20Z is AWD?

its so grocery getter mommies who buy them will feel safe when its snowy out.

Back