Help me buy a new car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

E_SolSi said:
honda insight FTW :)

A- something that doesn't suck --- the insight is a kick ass little car
B- is fun to drive --- very fun to drive... handles well... pretty quick for what it is
C- stock --- no one makes anything for it so you dont have much choice but to leave it stock
D- not one of Calyton's projects ( :D ) --- too new ;)
E- gets mid 20's city/high 20s highway or better MPG --- gets 20mpg at 110mph
G- must be a 5-speed. --- yep
H- must not be american. --- nope
I- around $10k is the most i want to spend. --- 00 -02 you could probably find them in or under that price range
J- needs to be stupid reliable. I can't afford a break down on the highway (normal maintence is not a big issue... so long as its scheduled) --- yep... hasnt needed much of anything so far

;)

Seany-izzle said:
1st year s2000?

I mentioned that in a couple posts above, but I don't think that you can obtain one for anything less than $15k. Same deal with the Volvo S40 T5, or else those would be two serious cars to consider.

We also have to remember how big B is. I think he mentioned in the past that he couldn't sit in the S2k or miata comfortabley, or one was comfortable and the other was completely uncomfortable.

I GOT IT!!! wait for the vw gx3 to come out. 5.7 0-60, 1.25g's and 46 mpg. suppose to be around 15k new. :D

Seany-izzle said:
1st year s2000?

That's what I bought for 14k and 77k miles. The car runs perfect. Couple blemishes here and there, but not too noticable. Drives just like the 03 I tested with 20k miles :)

You would think that lol =)

On another note B hates the S2000, he doesnt really fit it very well.

jeffie7 said:
You would think that lol =)

On another note B hates the S2000, he doesnt really fit it very well.

I'm going to go with Volvo S40, Turbo'd miata or a late model Integra. Basically, the best finnacial decision in the short run is to keep one car. Its certainly not finnacially intelligent to buy another car thats a mixed performance and mixed economy car - if you want a second car for the fun of it then get a second car for the fun of it. If you want a second car for economy then get a second car for economy. With your requirements you're not going to be able to obtain both in a finnacially sensible way.

So if you're just kidding yourself and creating an excuse for a second car, go balls out and get what you want. If not just suck it up and rack up the miles on the STi. Its cheaper than buying a second car, and the STi isn't that expensive of car to be racking miles up on anyway.

Look into an S40 B...

And I find it funny how you say MUST BE AWD, but yet you think about an m3!?!?

Good luck finding an AWD that gets over 25mpg for 10k.

A Civic/Accord with Blizzaks on it should be great in the snow. A guy i work with has a TL TypeS w/ Blizzaks for the winter, and he tells me he passes Subarus in snowstorms on i-95.

IMO... Your choices are:
Civic
2.5 RS
Volvo S40
Accord
Older CL/TL

I mean B... Your basically saying "i want the best car available, and I dont want to pay for it"

Reflex_Sport_ABS_Metallic_Silver.jpg

Honda
85-100mpg nuff said.

get a Max

My personal choice for your situation would be a 4th gen nissan maxima. Perferably a 97-00. They look classy, are high quality cars, extremely practical, and reliable to boot (my friend has a 95 5sp with 210k no issues). Finding one with 80k and lower miles will be easy, and easily cost less than 10k. Plus, thoes things are quick (low 15's stock), get high 20's on the highway, and are fun as hell to drive. They are very tunable too if you get bored!

Trust me they are worth a look...

Last edited:
I never said it had to be AWD. in fact i think i said the opposite- So long as I keep the sti, I can get a rwd or fwd car no problem. the sti is fun as shit in the snow. but if i sell the sti, then the replacement would need to be awd.

more in a few...

the price to buy another car, insure it, register it, and to maintain it would be more than your gas that your dumping into your STI....just continue commuting with it...

If considering German...No one has suggested the Trabi!!?

Just definately not the VW Passat. I gave mine away. $110 for a dealer only 6" long radiater hose, and the smirk on the parts manager's face was enough to convince me they werent interested in my business.

For longevity nothing beats a Mecedes diesel. Decent mileage, could veggie convert. Decent torque (or at least mass) for blasting through the snowbanks.

Attachments

• ifaf9cabrio.jpg
    ifaf9cabrio.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
ha, i could never drive that.

i got a lead on a cheap ek hatch that i'm hopefully going to check out on tuesday. has some minor upgrades to it, but mostly stock, decent suspension, and si wheels on it :)

pissedoffsol said:
I never said it had to be AWD. in fact i think i said the opposite- So long as I keep the sti, I can get a rwd or fwd car no problem. the sti is fun as shit in the snow. but if i sell the sti, then the replacement would need to be awd.

more in a few...

So have you considered the turbo'd miata, I had this in mind because I knew you already had the STi for your AWD inclement weather needs.

It will be a fun weekend car, good gas mileage, reliable, cheap, and I believe you've said before you fit into a miata fine just not the s2k.

The Maxima is a good idea as well, I suggested that earlier. I really enjoy the SE's with their options, the fuckton of space there is in the cabin upfront because of the way nissan slants their dash forward and its just a peppy car in 5speed. The new altima might be a good alternative as well.

The S40 is nice as well, and if its a non T5 you can find one near your price range. Thats the luxury, but the repair costs will be high as a result. Also its not that great of performer in terms of actual numbers or gas mileage. If I were to get the S40 I would have to get the T5 and would probably begin to mod it right away.

BMW 3 series. M series, even better. Like I said earlier, you always wanted one and its going to be your commuter car - screw the mileage as long as its clean. Plus many, many go over that 175k mark. You won't regret it, since its what you always wanted.

I guess this is me talking here because I really want the m3 or turbo'd miata as my second car right now - but now if that STi hatch actually makes it to production I might have to spring for that.

No bmw thats in the range will get the gas milage desired, except the poopy 318.

S40, too much.

Maxima, ugh i drove one of these things from vt to boston and back a few weeks ago. It was the year that had the 6 spoke wheels that were like... 17 or so, and it was a 5 spd... it sucked. Maybe it was jut that one, but it had been in no accidents and there were no problems with it (friends mom was 1st owner), and i felt real floaty on the highway, along with sloppy steering and worst of all.... sloppy sloPPPPYYYYY shifting. Shifting it was like shifting my friends old jetta with bad bushings, i had no clue where i was and had no clue where to go with it. the side to side play was horrible along with no feel for the gates.

Turbo miata? weekend car? have you read whats goin on here, he wants a car for an everyday commute... plus he said he wasnt a convertible guy, plus hed look funny in that tiny car.

I think the miata is out of the question. if i buy one, i'll end up turning it into a spec race car. lol and that's not what i need right now. plus, i don't want the lack of reliability of a turbo kit on my 100 mile a day commuter, not do I have time to do one, nor will I, nor do I want to, and I don't want someone elses' project either.

I don't fit in the s2000. I can't get my right leg under the steeringwheel between the seat. I have to lift my right leg over the steering wheel. I have big ass legs from my days of biking and lifting back in the day. I never really lost any of my mass down there. My quads are probably as big as a lot of you narrow guy's waists- i'd guess 28-30" around.

I never sat in an older miata (the 3rd gen I have though) and I was ok in the 3rd gen. Not comfortable, but ok. It was monstly the head room that sucked. the seat and leg room was ok. i'm 6'1, but i have a big ass... lol so i sit at the height of a 6'3 guy i guess.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the max/altima with the v6 get the gas mileage i'm after. Plus, they are nissans..... not too reliable. as sean put it: Nissan _sloppy. lol Plus, i'm sure the new models are still out of my price range.

I don't want a volvo.... and I don't want to mod this thing either. I want a comfortable, cheap, fun to drive, not too sucky daily driver.

95-99 M3's are going for 13-18k in decent condition with 100k+ on them on bimmerforums. They are just out of my price range, and fall a little short in the mpg department too. plus, big insurance premiums too.

Back