Help me buy a new car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

what about that neon you guys bought? is that street legal? would they let you drive it daily if you paid the insurance and shit on it?

pissedoffsol said:
95-99 M3's are going for 13-18k in decent condition with 100k+ on them on bimmerforums. They are just out of my price range, and fall a little short in the mpg department too. plus, big insurance premiums too.

I think you've pretty much exhausted your options then, because not one car is going to fulfill those needs.

Cheapest and easiest would be the corvette.
A turbo'd miata would be just as reliable as a turbo'd honda and if done right, with a built motor or overhauled motor it should be just as reliable as new but I understand your mentality about someone else's project and you don't want your own project.

I was going to pick up a '95 M3 with something like 75k or less on it for 12k and it had some mods done to the car, including bling bling 19's. They really shouldn't be selling for what you posted with 100k on the car, unless you're buying it from an enthuisiast and then of course you're going to pay a premium.

In the end for the cheapness and reliability, you're going to wind back up in the honda that in the beginning you said you didn't want.

get_nick said:
what about that neon you guys bought? is that street legal? would they let you drive it daily if you paid the insurance and shit on it?

the car is registered and insured and is street legal. Bill put it in his name, and we all chipped in for the payment (since hes keeping it at his place, it only makes sense to put it in his name). We are in it 1/3 for everything. I owe some labor though; mike and bill did a lot of work when i was sick and/or had other things going on.

but i'm not driving a car with a seat and a cage to the office. That, and it's a race car. its daily driving stuff is lackluster. like missing window cranks... heat, defroster, radio, etc...

if you end up looking at the ek hatch and pass it up let me know. i would love to trade or sell my 97ex for that hatch if you were interested.

totalburnout said:
Cheapest and easiest would be the corvette.
there's no way a corvette gets near 30mpg. especially not the C4. that, and it's american, and we all know how i feel about american cars.....

A turbo'd miata would be just as reliable as a turbo'd honda and if done right, with a built motor or overhauled motor it should be just as reliable as new but I understand your mentality about someone else's project and you don't want your own project.
exactly. not proactical, both for what i want and what it will cost to do right.

I was going to pick up a '95 M3 with something like 75k or less on it for 12k and it had some mods done to the car, including bling bling 19's. They really shouldn't be selling for what you posted with 100k on the car, unless you're buying it from an enthuisiast and then of course you're going to pay a premium.
look around again.

FS:95'M3 5spd cpe, slvr blk $14.5K obo - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
Wrong coast, out of my price range, just had major work done, so who knows what else is coming.

FS: E36 M3 Sedan Manual Estoril/Black $13,900 - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
Again, wrong coast, and out of my price range.

1995 M3 For Sale in Dallas - $8999 - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
still too far. in price range, has "noises"

*****FS: 1995 M3, black on black, 5-speed, all service records - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
a little closer, but still stupid far... in my price range, but... 175k, gay luxury package (wood interior crap, shit supension, etc etc), a/c broken, oh hell, i'll copy it.
Areas needing attention: A/C does now work. It needs a new compressor clutch. If you are DIY type you can easily pick up an used A/C compressor for $50-100.
ABS light is on, last time the problem was dirty ABS wheel sensor. I did not put any time to it, since the car is fine and it brakes great.
Car was involved in a minor single vehicle accident, rear bumper and part of the quarter panel were replaced by genuine BMW parts and painted professionally at a local body shop. No frame damage. Clean carfax.
No thanks.

1998 Bmw M3 Dinan - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
automatic, out of my price range.

FS: Late 1999 Estoril Blue M3 - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
nice ass car. but 20k.

'95 Daytona Violet/Dove Gray M3, high miles, clean title, $7K FIRM - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
wrong coast, some elses unfinsihed project.

see what i'm getting at?
those were the first couple M3's for sale posts, in order, as i went through them.

In the end for the cheapness and reliability, you're going to wind back up in the honda that in the beginning you said you didn't want.
:( sucks. I dunno, can't hurt to look at the car. The guy hasn't emailed me back yet anyway, so who knows.

Last edited:
the neon is on the road. but i'm not daily driving that thing. no way.
i haven't driven it at an event yet...
but chris says its competitive so i'll take his word for it :D

This is high on the mileage side but doesn't sound too bad.

AutoTrader.com - Cars For Sale: Car Details

Autotrader had many M3's that were within a $12k and had 100k miles but they were auto.

This is 15 minutes from my house, in the town that my uncle owns a car shop.

'97 With 117k from a dealership for $11,695 - I'm sure you can talk that down

High mileage '96

I guess I should have picked up that ///m3 that I was looking at. It looked mint and it was a '95 or '96 with ~75k for cheap, I just didn't want to deal with winter or maintenance costs.

Last edited:
pissedoffsol said:
Gay Ass Body Kit...

Look at the edit and look at the one at the dealership in Mass.

Also its just a body kit, whatever.

If its between a kitted M3 and a honda, I'm buying the fucking kitted m3.

pissedoffsol said:
i'll wait and buy something i actually want.... :)

Not in your price range, its impossible, but if you find myself to be wrong - please let me know because I'll be trying to outbid you on the car since it will more than likely fulfill all my needs. :)

I heart MAX's

Yes, a maxima feels a little floaty, but the SE model has a firmer suspension to eliminate this. I agree that the shifting is a little sloppy too, but this is something I hear that a short throw fixes easily. I guarantee that you can find an awesome 4th gen maxima (95-00), for under 10K. In response to their reliability, The VQ30 has been on ward's 10 best engine list for an eternety. That gen max was the last gen maxima actually built in Japan. When you hear of bad Nissan reliability, you're thinking of 01 and newer that are American built. Their reliability is on par with the accord and camry, and is a helluva better drive. The only issue I have ever heard of with thoes cars is the bose stereo effing up.

B goes to take a customer out to lunch...

We'll take my honda, I can't afford gas for my STI...

That's OK B, I'd rather take a raincheck for lunch.

pissedoffsol said:

i think he's saying your customers will be embarassed to ride with you in a honda because you told them you can't afford gas for the sti.

Back