My B18 swap in a 90 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
true. and I left out something in that message, I meant if you were planning on building an all out race car don't go vtec and turbo it. Everyone knows the ls motors have low compression numbers so its a good motor to turbo. But since you are going daily driver, I would say do some simple bolt ons besides a turbo. Find a type-r head if you go vtec, and chip the ecu you would need for that head, that would give you a pretty nice boost right there, plus the usuals headers, and full exhaust, and cai.

Well this is going to be like a weekend driver. I don't plan on constantly driving it after I break it in. I already have a DD. Like I said I don't want to build this super fast drag car but something I can take out on the weekends and to the local meets and have some fun in.

Already been said but I have to say it anyway that's an AWESOME job on the wiring.

I wish I could wire I mean I've got a d15b vtec swap into my bay the only thing left to do is the wiring (after I do the suspension/axels/shift linkage, piece of cake) which I'm starting tomorrow morning and it looks confusing as hell.

Anyways your car's gonna come out great and I'm a noob so I have no choice but to give you props on your build but even if I did have a choice, PROPS to you and good luck with the rest of your awesome build, lol.

A little update. I finished the engine harness.
Finished wiring:
DSC00240.jpg

Finished covering:
DSC00241.jpg

This is going to be all that is in the engine bay and it's going to be behind the engine hidden.

I pulled it apart very carefully and rolled it back. If you are not careful and you don't pay attention you could mess it up and it won't work. You could always stick a drill on the back of it and let it go until it rolls over.

Where did you get your cannon plug.
Did it come complete with all the brass pins and both male and female plugs?
Were any special tools required for crimping?

I got the cannon plug from work, I'm military. When we order them it comes with all of the pins. You strip the wire then stick it in the back of the pin and solder it in. Then put the pin in the back of the plug.

I got the cannon plug from work, I'm military. When we order them it comes with all of the pins. You strip the wire then stick it in the back of the pin and solder it in. Then put the pin in the back of the plug.

Thats what I suspected. Would you be able to order 2. One for myself and one for a friend? How much do they cost? :mellow:

props for the wire's....I've thought about doing that a long time ago...but never got around to doing it. I do see that you might be chasing problems in the long run for a while. for each wire you rreplaced, you should have taken an ohm reading, and for each wire you made, re-check the ohms.

Some of the internals in the ecu are set to seeing certain milliohm's and millivolts, and introducing a better conductive wire will increase some of those signals and you might have to play with resistors to tweek some of the signals down to OEM standards. But then again, you might actually improve ECU response to other components, and hit a gold mine.

reps given for the work.

props for the wire's....I've thought about doing that a long time ago...but never got around to doing it. I do see that you might be chasing problems in the long run for a while. for each wire you rreplaced, you should have taken an ohm reading, and for each wire you made, re-check the ohms.

Some of the internals in the ecu are set to seeing certain milliohm's and millivolts, and introducing a better conductive wire will increase some of those signals and you might have to play with resistors to tweek some of the signals down to OEM standards. But then again, you might actually improve ECU response to other components, and hit a gold mine.

reps given for the work.

Very good point.

Im not sure where I ran across it, but I remember reading a thread about a guy who took his stock engine harness and changed the size of the wires (stock 22 gauge to a 18gauge wire) and it netted more power on the dyno... I thought that was pretty cool and worth doing...

I found one place online a while ago that sold them for like $80. I'm sorry but they start asking questions when we order things like that. I just happened to come across one that was getting thrown out from a peice of equipment that was getting reworked.

Not too much to update I'm still waiting until I have the money for major parts. Until then I'm trying to finish the wiring. All that's left is the Fuse Boxes. and the lights I think. I spent like 2 hours lastnight going over my schematics and figuring out how many fuses I needed and when they were supposed to be active and which pins I could get with which fuses. I finally came up with these diagrams. Since I'm doing a custom wiring harness I need a custom Fuse Box.
underhoodfusebox.jpg

dashfusebox.jpg

A little vid of how the wiring is going. I finally got a little bit of functionality out of it. It's good to see your hard work finally paying off. I've had to do a lot of researching to wire the ECU. Like mentioned before almost all of the wires were burnt up so I couldn't tell what was what. On top of that the repair manuals I've looked at have schematics but no pin references for the ECU just wire colors. I was fortunate enough to find pinouts for my ECU. Anyways enjoy!

BTW the codes the ECU is giving are 6 (Coolant temp sensor) and 10 (IAT).

Just thought I would give a little update since I haven't updated in a while. The wiring is slow but it's comming along. Mainly because I'm lazy and I get preoccupied by the TV. Anyways wiring is about 90% done. I just have the wipers tail lights rear turn signals emergency brake seatbelts and doors.

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

BTW that is the third spool of wire I've gotten. At 500 feet a roll that's a lot of wire.

Your wiring is insanely awesome. I love what your doing with this. Your looms are so awesome. and with atleast 1000feet of wiring done already, I am sure you are pumped for your wiring project coming to an end. Cant wait to see this all done

Thanks, I just finished wrapping the Main Harness. Take a look. I still have the Rear Harness to make. It's the wires for Emergency Brake, Seatbelts, Door and Hatch Switch, Fuel Pump, Fuel Sending Unit, Brake Lights, Rear Wiper and Turn Signals. Everything else is done.

Zipped up
DSC00360.jpg

After tape
DSC00362.jpg

I figured I would put together all the parts I have done.
DSC00361.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back