1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting valve cover...

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Team_Asterisk, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Team_Asterisk

Team_Asterisk R0T0R WH0R3

Well, right now, I'm painting my valve cover. and I got it off, used aircraft stripper, sanded & wet-sanded it with 320grit. Then I thought that I don’t want to have those "sanding scratches" in it, so I stepped up to 600 grit.

Now, when I look at it under light, it looks finely scratched head on, but feels REALLY smooth, and almost has a reflection on the flat parts when you look at it at a 30deg. angle.

I bought some white plasti-kote engine enamel, (1000 degree) and it does not require primer, but I was wondering if I perhaps sanded the bare aluminum down too smooth? Should I go back over it with 320 grit again so the paint sticks better?

2. philyphreak2127

philyphreak2127 Back in the Game

no your good. don't worry about it.

3. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

I'd throw a few coats of clear on it when you're done with the color. It'll be more durable that way, probably last a few years longer.

4. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

yea.. while its still sticky spray 2-3 light coats of high temp clear on it.. it'll look better and be more durable

5. Team_Asterisk

Team_Asterisk R0T0R WH0R3

Fuck, I forgot to buy the hi-temp clear... But I'm not keeping this car forever, at least I hope I dont, so I'm not worried as long as it does not start chipping off within a month.

I got this ride to repair it, fix all the little quirks, and sell it off for it's retail price, rather than the good deal I got for it, because the previous owner made the mistake of giving the ride to his girlfriend!:D

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted