Taco's Crx type R build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Is your 160amp oem?
Negative on the OEM - the alternator I'm running now is aftermarket, but not a 60 amp rated POS from a chain auto parts retailer. It came straight from a shop that rebuilds them. Eagle Auto Electric $153.97 delivered to my front door.

EAGLE ELECTRIC items - Get great deals on ALTERNATORS, STARTERS items on eBay Stores!

Pictured beside the alternator that came on the JDM DOHC ZC - I assume it to be OEM - but who knows.
Alternator%203.jpg

So far it's working out real well.

I have the junk aftermarket alternator and the external physical size is very close to what I believe to be the JDM OEM - but, I expect the diodes and regulator circuitry are not as good.

The 160 amp is larger than the chain store aftermarket and the JDM alternators - this one is so big it will probably require the right axel to be pulled for it to drop down when it needs to be removed. Fitment on it is good, bolts right up and wiring harness interfaces correctly.

Last edited:
That's good to know. I bought a 90amp from a chain store and it works ok, but eventually I want to upgrade and oem is just too expensive.

as long as the mutha trucker turns over it's good enought for now.:lol:

the car is getting brought back this week so cross the fingers and hope it cranks!

I swung by Quincy and saw Jose. He said he was helping w/ your throwout bearing and stuff. Hope you get it settled out soon!!!

he brought the car back and I hooked the harness up really quick.
I should have more time to work on it after this week when mrs. taco leaves :(

Yep. Today is her last day. She will leave after I leave for work and be gone by the time i get back. The crx will receive much attention then.

ALRIGHT:

Im still in the same boat but at least I have a better idea of what's NOT hooked up.
IMG_20110731_173555.jpg

IMG_20110731_173956.jpg

grounds checked are - trans,VC,engine harness
yellow/black injector wires are now grounded properly to remove the resistor box although on the OBD 2 harness there were 7 wires and I only have 5. hmmmmm any clue as to why?
the way I see it it's 4 injectors and one other yellow wire

IMG_20110731_173938.jpg

I need to swap injectors 2 and 3 clips around
IMG_20110731_174103.jpg

Last edited:
Let's talk injectors. What ECU and OBD is it? Cuz, OBD1 the injectors don't get grounded, they get +12v applied to them on one side of the coil and the ECU drops the other side close to ground to fire them. They don't get grounded and I've seen that mentioned (grounding injectors) more than once. (I don't know about OBD2, never looked at that).

The OBD0 with the resistors still gets the same +12v signal, it runs through the individual resistors to the injectors, then the other side of the injectors goes to the ECU for the (-) logic signal.

I'll get your CD sent one of these days!

Ecu - P28
Injectors - Obd2

I have obd0 injectors that I can swap out and add the resistor box but I tried that last time and still didn't fire.

Once it stops raining I'm goint to put a volt meter on the ecu pins and the clips to make there is no open circuit somewhere.

Other than the 4 yellow wires from the injectors and one other yello wire are there any more?
Isn't there one from the distributer or something?

On my OBD1 setup with chipped P06 ECU (P29 DOHC ZC map) it runs +12v to the resistors on one wire. I'm still using the OBD0 stock injectors. If I change to OBD1 injectors just remove the resistors which means the single +12v line will go the the injectors via the wires that once went to the resistors from the injectors.

The other side of the injectors goes to the ECU.

I need to get you those schematics ASAP.

http://www.senorpanadero.net/uploader/userfiles/stevew/Taco/Honda%20Civic%201991%20HELMS%20Wiring%20ED3%20ED4%20ED6%20ED7%20USDM.pdf

OBD0 http://www.senorpanadero.net/uploader/userfiles/stevew/Taco/Wiring Schematic 1991 Si.jpg

OBD1 http://www.senorpanadero.net/uploader/userfiles/stevew/Taco/Wiring Schematic 1.jpg

Last edited:
just printed them out and hopefully be able to do some more troubleshooting.

it sucks right now with alot of things suddenly coming up..... it will fire someday. :(

I'll send the CD with schematics when I get back in town the end of the week.

Last edited:
Taco,
I have access to online helms for any year Honda. let me know if you need specific model/year sections and i'll download them for you.

Thanks guys. B16 I appreciate it.

right now I'm working off of the schematics mod man sent over.
I purchased a test light and used the last hour of daylight I had on +12 check just to make sure the injector yellow/Blk wires were powered correctly...(no grounded like I said)

They all have juice and now I have to trace the colored wires to see if they are being powered by the ecu later.
Brown
Blue
Red
Yellow

By the way, this weekend I will not be working on my car. I'm going to Cali! :)

Sweet! Weather has been great out here.. I guess it depends where in Cali..

yeah mrs taco says it's been hot but not as bad as the 100+ heat here in Tally.
still stuck at work so I'll see if I can spend some time checking those other injector wires from the ecu.

when the key is on the acc position the injectors should fire so technically those colored wired should be live, right?
these are the pins I'm going to check to see if they have power at ACC.

A1 - inj.1
A3 - inj.2
A5 - inj.3
A7 - inj.4

B15 - igniter unit
B17 same
B13 - main relay

Last edited:
Back