Taco's Crx type R build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I loved driving my friends WRX. It was the one year school bus yellow looking color the year before they brought the STi stateside. He did the same thing and added all the STi equipment. I :wub: Subarus.

that yellow color is actually my favorite.

BLue was always in my head when I thought of Subaru Sti. :)

I love blue especially with the bronze rims. But that limited edition yellow was just different and awesome. Honestly, I like them I'm all colors.

well it's been WAYYYYYYYYY to long but the it's closer to being done.
I finally got to work yesterday and said "this fucking CRX WILL run on it's own"

I gave up the ego and ditched my wiring harness. Grabbed an 88 engine harness and plugged it in the car to run the spark and other sensors and grounds. I kept using my custom injector harness because it had the resistor delete.

after a few glitches and 4 turns I smelled fuel.
1 problem solved! now to find out why it does not run........
Dizzy plugs were wrong and after 5 hours of total work she finally runs on her own and revs fairly smooth.

check engine codes are
6 (Iat - will it throw this code if I have a leak? because I did..... :lol:)
10 (fan switch fixing)
21 (vtec solenoid fixing)

I took procrastination to a whole nother level with this project. :lol:

Now here's the problem with it now......It won't drive.
What causes the transmission to not generate enough force to move the car?

I put it in drive, it moves for a sec and then nothing at all. I can have the clutch out and rev it but nothing.
tranny issue or wrong style clutch?
remember it's new with new flywheel.

Last edited:

I took procrastination to a whole nother level with this project. :lol:

Now here's the problem with it now......It won't drive.
What causes the transmission to not generate enough force to move the car?

I put it in drive, it moves for a sec and then nothing at all. I can have the clutch out and rev it but nothing.
tranny issue or wrong style clutch?
remember it's new with new flywheel.
Wait a minute - you "put it in drive" and the "let the clutch out" - WTF?

And, where the phuk have you been young man???

Clutch or pressure plate, throwout or hosed up adjustment?

I always loved that STI model, especially the limited edition front chin spoiler. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Vtecsir1 :mine is a 2006 WRX with the Sti goodies. ;) I wish I had the tranny but the Sti turbo,larger incoolder and cobb tuned will suffice :)

Dual500 : you are correct. I put it on gear, hell i even tried reverse; let off the clutch slowly and it rolls for a sec. THAT'S IT! It won't go anywhere but I don't smell clutch burn either. I sure hope it's not the tranny. :(

by the way, the harness is complete and will be hooking it up tonight if I have some daylight left.
first I got to clean house becuase mrs. taco comes back from Cali tomorrow night : )

My friend had the exact same issue with his GSR. Turns out when they pulled the trans off, that the flywheel was phucked and had chunks of "floating" around, but it never made a noise to indicate such a problem. Reggardless it wouldnt engage any gear. New flywheel and it runs just fine now. Maybe check if something is loose, or lodged somewhere it shouldnt be.

I had my friend install the new flywheel,clutch and Press. Plate.
he's built his own gsr including tranny to so I have confidence in him.

I'm taking it to him sometime so he can get it on the lift and see.
Worst case scenario I borrow a GSR tranny to get me by.

Could it be that the car sat for so long it froze something in there? The tranny was completely sealed up though....hmmm

I would suspect pressure plate and clutch arena or linkage, throwout bearing.......sumtin ain't right in thar.......be sure it's adjusted correctly so the clutch can engage.

yeah I was thinking the same thing.
I'll be checking the trans and removing it after I put the entire car together.

propbolts_safetywire.JPG

Flywheel bolts loose?

Did you safety wire them?
I don't recall the bolts on my D16A6 or ZC being drilled to accept safety wire. When I assembled the ZC and installed the flywheel it was recommended by the machine shop that did the work on the engine to use a liquid thread locker on the flywheel bolts. I used Red Loctite on the bolts per advice from machine shop. Threads were prepped with lacquer thinner to clean them.

Last edited:
They aren't drilled for it. You have to drill them yourself or buy them pre-drilled (wickedfuckinexpensive). I have never heard of anyone safety wiring flywheel bolts for a street application. Loctite is sufficient.

Damn man. That's crazy. Either way With mrs. Taco coming in to town the crxay have to be put on hold for a 2 weeks.

Back