Type R Camshafts (Finally found some!!)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

^^^ Its for BAR certification. USDM P30 was only available from 94-95 and you need it to get a sticker for a 92-95 Civic with a B16. As you may know, there weren't as many Del Sol VTEC's in the states (in comaprison to all the S and Si models) JDM P30 is a different story and is very common.

Hell....I paid $300 OTD for a Virgin ECU. And its a pretty slim chance that a chipped ECU will let me pass the sniffer....so I need to keep the virgin that is made to run the B16A. Heard I could have a switch installed on it to go back and fourth but I will keep a chastity belt on the ECU for now.

So can I get away with a used P28 that has a socket and was once tuned on Chrome? Or is a chip only good for one change? If that is the case....I will need to source a virgin P28 and get a socket installed. Saw one out of state today for $40

Oh Yeah.....the camshafts have made a difference already. I can feel better response all over the rpm range.

Oh I see now. Wow that really blows. Keep that P30.

Didn't you have a JDM OBD1 P30? If you do you can socket that too.

Basemap chips blow, they run like shit and can cause you to run really rich or really lean. So your looking at ether premature ring damage or melt down.

If you get your engine tuned, you should pass the sniffer with no problem.

There is two ways you can chip a ecu. one way is soldering the chip on to the circuit board ( not recomended) or Soldering a socket that you can remove chips and add others(what you and everybody else should use).

When you solder the chip directly you cant pull it unless you desolder it and solder the new one. That can cause problems.

When you socket it(I like zif sockets) you can use that ECU for any application. Vtec or non Vtec. All you have to do is Pull the chip out and press in a new one.

You can also buy a nonvtec ecu and make it have vtec capabilities, just like you can make it manual from auto.

^^^ Its for BAR certification. USDM P30 was only available from 94-95 and you need it to get a sticker for a 92-95 Civic with a B16. As you may know, there weren't as many Del Sol VTEC's in the states (in comaprison to all the S and Si models) JDM P30 is a different story and is very common.
Not true. I passed my 96 civic with b16 on a 98 soch vtec ecu and a VAFC tuned to pass the sniffer. VAFC was stored in the glove box. They do not look at the sticker on the ECU.

I wish I could remember what I did with my P30 from my sol vtec.

Not true. I passed my 96 civic with b16 on a 98 soch vtec ecu and a VAFC tuned to pass the sniffer. VAFC was stored in the glove box. They do not look at the sticker on the ECU.

at the BAR station they do look at the sticker.. a regular smog station they dont.. they only care if it passes the sniffer

at the BAR station they do look at the sticker.. a regular smog station they dont.. they only care if it passes the sniffer
This was at the North Sacramento BAR station I passed; got the BAR sticker.

at the one here, they looked over the entire car.. i had a DC header on it.. carb # matched, but the part # didnt, so they failed me.. :lame:

Didn't you have a JDM OBD1 P30? If you do you can socket that too.

If you get your engine tuned, you should pass the sniffer with no problem.

You can also buy a nonvtec ecu and make it have vtec capabilities, just like you can make it manual from auto.

I do still have the JDM P30 but Tom said he has ran into problems with altered JDM ECU's

If a good tune will keep my fuel mixture in check....that would be nice to pass the sniffer with a tuned ECU.

The guy I spoke to wasn;t in today but he was going to take a P06 and use it (like you said...non-VTEC ECU programmed for VTEC and DOHC)

This was at the North Sacramento BAR station I passed; got the BAR sticker.

You must have went to him on a Wednesday lol. In any event....from all the info I have received about BAR....you got lucky and were blessed b/c he didn't look at the ECU

on the header... its has the carb plate, but on the flange the part # was AHxxxx .. AH standing for Acura header... it had to be for a del sol, so it would need to be HHxxxx

i must have had a tough one because he looked over everything..

Finally talked to the ECU guy today. My ECU will be socketed and he will also put a pre-tune he has from a set up that was identical to mine. He is going to run me through the process and everything when I go see him next weekend. (a little education on this subject would be cool) He said any idiot can put some tuned map on a car like burning a CD but he assures me that I will not be running lean or rich (especially after a dyno/tune)

Re-doing my valve lash tomorrow. Learned a little bit more about the process and gonna take another shot at it.

I got my Valve Cover via UPS today. It came out pretty good but, to be honest, the powder coating has some small bubbles or nipples in it. And I would've done a better job on the cam gear cut out but I might just be a little picky about it all lol.

I will post a picture of it installed this weekend.

Finally talked to the ECU guy today. My ECU will be socketed and he will also put a pre-tune he has from a set up that was identical to mine. He is going to run me through the process and everything when I go see him next weekend. (a little education on this subject would be cool) He said any idiot can put some tuned map on a car like burning a CD but he assures me that I will not be running lean or rich (especially after a dyno/tune)

Re-doing my valve lash tomorrow. Learned a little bit more about the process and gonna take another shot at it.

I got my Valve Cover via UPS today. It came out pretty good but, to be honest, the powder coating has some small bubbles or nipples in it. And I would've done a better job on the cam gear cut out but I might just be a little picky about it all lol.

I will post a picture of it installed this weekend.

So is he going to tune your engine or just give you a basemap? Kind of hard to say its going to be perfect unless he tunes it.

Dont let anybody tell you that a "chip" that worked on his engine is going to work for yours. It just dosent work that way.

You should never run rick/lean after a tune, if you do the person who tuned your engine is a idiot and should be shot for calling themselves a tuner.

It will be socketed but he will put a pre-tune that he has saved from another set up identical to mine (that was dyno/tuned) I will then go get a dyno/tune after the fact anyways.

In terms of running rich/lean......I talked to him about it b/c you spoke of it earlier in this thread so I brought that up. He said that he assures me that I will have a very safe set up that has dyno results on another B16A with Type R camshafts. But he also agrees that a dyno/tune is best thing to do to maximize my particular set up.

So I did the valve lash for the second time in a week lol. But it sounds much better. My dad gave me an idea to cut the feeler gauge to about an inch or so long.....drill a hole in it and put a long skinny bolt through the hole with two nuts (one on each side) to secure it to the feeler gauge. Its "L" shaped and worked pretty good. I now have custom intake and exhaust valve lash feeler gauges lol.

Here's a few pics of the valve cover. I painted my Intake Tube and Spark Plug Cover too. It came out okay. In hind-sight....I would have went for a wrinkle black for the valve cover. The ebay place in New Jersey didn't do the best job. I do not recommend them

100_1070.jpg

100_1069.jpg

Also....I did the timing and got the middle mark of the three marks on the reference tab (on the timing belt dust cover near crank pulley) I had to move the dizzy a lot (retarded towards the radiator). Took it for a ride and it was flat on the top end. So I said eff it and put it back to where I had it. It ran fine there and had no pinging so I figure I'm okay. Thats where it was when I had the smog guy put it to 17 degrees. I got a mechanic I can take it to and have him hook up his digital timing gun to check the actual degree. I still feel like an idiot when it comes to adjusting the timing. (and yes I jump the service connector and CEL was on)

You a bitch, Mr A-hole McThread Jacker. Hope someone poops in your mouth when you are sleeping.

I know this off topic, but I'm a newbie tryin to learn as much as I can to build my swap right. I recently bought a LS/V swap and I was told it has gsr cams from a person who does swaps all he time. Can you guys tell me how I can tell by looking at them they are gsr cams, I'll post pics soon, I appreciate the help...

Back