Update: New Pics on my car!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

But the car's priceless to me....if I get another rex, it just won't be the same.

Right, I know. I don't care what you do with it, I was just attempting to translate, lol...

Let it go!!! Just bondo the crap out of it and drive it until the wheels fall off; get another CRX. It might not be the same, but it's probably going to be better. :)

But what exactly makes it not worth it to some of you? I've done very, very little autobody work and even this looks fixable. Time consuming, but fixable.

If you can do a good job of it yourself, and save all the body shop fees and labor, have at it. But when it comes down to the dirty dirty, you've done $2000 worth of damage to a $1500 car. Not being mean or anything, but thats pretty much the situation.

But what exactly makes it not worth it to some of you? I've done very, very little autobody work and even this looks fixable. Time consuming, but fixable.

It's just their opinion. To truly fix it right you're going to need a new fender, a new mirror, maybe some body work on the door (I don't know if it's damaged or not, but I assume it is), and possibly a new quarter panel or a good deal of work on the existing one, plus paint, and an alignment and possible frame work. To do it up right you could easily spend more then the car's worth.

If the car is that sentimental to you though, then maybe it's worth it. That's up to you to decide...

But what parts of it make it $2000??? Fender: $30-$130. Quater Panel: Not exactly sure the cost, but the steel should only be a few dollars. I know where I can get all the tools I need and garage to work in. So are there hidden problems that nobody's mentioned yet? If there aren't, I don't see the problem.

It's just their opinion. To truly fix it right you're going to need a new fender, a new mirror, maybe some body work on the door (I don't know if it's damaged or not, but I assume it is), and possibly a new quarter panel or a good deal of work on the existing one, plus paint, and an alignment and possible frame work. To do it up right you could easily spend more then the car's worth.

If the car is that sentimental to you though, then maybe it's worth it. That's up to you to decide...

The door's not bad. It might be a little off, but that's fixable. The trim was torn off but I was going to get rid of the trim anyway. It's seriously only got very small scrapes along the side. As for the paint, I'm going to save up for it and do it myself. I also have help with that though, in case I don't do it right. The frame work's the only expensive thing I can see coming into play. How bad is it if you don't check/ fix the frame. I have an idea already...

But what parts of it make it $2000??? Fender: $30-$130. Quater Panel: Not exactly sure the cost, but the steel should only be a few dollars. I know where I can get all the tools I need and garage to work in. So are there hidden problems that nobody's mentioned yet? If there aren't, I don't see the problem.
and where can you get all the tools you need to do this???
The door's not bad. It might be a little off, but that's fixable. The trim was torn off but I was going to get rid of the trim anyway. It's seriously only got very small scrapes along the side. As for the paint, I'm going to save up for it and do it myself. I also have help with that though, in case I don't do it right. The frame work's the only expensive thing I can see coming into play. How bad is it if you don't check/ fix the frame. I have an idea already...
i can do paint!!!:D
and the framework we can have checked and done for very little

dont listen to the people keep your car!! i made the mistake of selling my 87 teggy because it kept having problems ... But i loved that car :( i miss everyday. I have learned to love my hatch, and im not making the same mistake with this one either lol. So i know where you are coming from wanting to fix it :)

Well if you're going to do it all yourself, then yeah, it will be much cheaper. Have you done any body work before though?

The only thing I've done personally is grind/sand off rust and spray it with rust converter, and of course doing touch ups with paint and rubbing/polishing compounds. I wouldn't feel comfortable myself doing anything other then hanging a new fender, but if you think you can manage it, go for it!

Well, I, personally, have done very little body work. But I've very artistically inclined and think that might help a little. Plus, I have my mom's bf, who used to race cars and has restored his '69 Firebird. He's not a mechanic, but knows the basics.

I've done alot of body work, but those rear quarters are a total pain in the ass. I've fixed two of them, but one was rust and the other was a "dent".. Much less "gash-y" for lack of a better word. You can't take it off and beat on it, so it makes it very difficult to repair. For an amature, anyway. Then again, body shop people do it every day, so it it completely and totally possible. I've done alot of body work, and had alot of it come out very well, but I'd be hard pressed to get that rear quarter looking good again.

You know what? Fuck me. Just fix it. Or try to. You can't hurt it any worse than it already is. With a few hammers and a shot bag, you can bang that fender back into shape. Would be good practice for the rear.

Lol the fender??? That's an easily replaceable part, I don't know if I want to spend the time trying to bang the dents out....maybe though, it would be cheaper. Hm.... It looks in too bad of shape to even mess with though.

Step-by-steps on how to do the fender???

Step-by-steps on how to do the fender???

pull it off ... beat some sense into it ... re attatch ... check for errors/adjustments ... repeat.

once it looks fine you are done :)

or just by a new one

I'v had 2 fenders that were jacked "too bad to fix" in my mind. So I'd take them off and practice on them, only to end up with a fender that was good enough to bolt back up. They needed a tiny bit of bondo and alot of finish work, but they turned out very nice in the end.

I envy the guys who are skilled enough to hammer it back into shape so precicely, all it needs is a sealer coat and some paint. I'm nowhere near that ballpark.

Someone told me to use a flat, softer surface to bang it out with. Like a small block of wood.

Back