Weight reduction

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

a couple hundred pounds makes a difference. 20-30 pounds will not make a significant change.

sorry i shoulda explained. i know the guy he has a y8 swap in it.

and i was talking about my D16y7 being 108hp stock.
only had ebay intake, plug wires and iridium plugs, and 2"cat-back exhaust

as far as the weight goes. when i pulled everything out i did weigh it as best as i could. i droped 196 pound of stock interior and 247 lbs of stereo equip :D nearly 450 lbs i droped just in the back end of the car. i only added 15lbs of dynamat. so it was a drastic difference and boy did the car love it too!:eek:

450 lbs would make quite a difference, but i was referring to chaz's comment that his car was peppier before he added subs.

ya my post dropped slow.. i was watching videos on youtube and forgot i was in the middle of posting .. LOL

a couple hundred pounds makes a difference. 20-30 pounds will not make a significant change.

Seriously, when I have my golf stuff and three other people in my car, it's slow as fuck. Just me, no golf bag and a 1/4 tank of gas and it's pretty peppy.

Seriously, when I have my golf stuff and three other people in my car, it's slow as fuck. Just me, no golf bag and a 1/4 tank of gas and it's pretty peppy.

HAHA ya i noticed that about mine too. whenever im alone the thing went pretty good, but you stuff my friends in there, my subs, and a full tank of gas and i think even a dodge neon could beat it

Every 7lbs. is equal to 1hp. Someone told me that a while ago, not sure if its true or not, but a lighter flywheel and lightetr wheels help a lot.

Every 7lbs. is equal to 1hp. Someone told me that a while ago, not sure if its true or not, but a lighter flywheel and lightetr wheels help a lot.

i have a fidanza 7.5 on my car already and a CTR n1 pully on it as well. short of having the crank knife edge and balanced.. thats as light as i can get the drivetrain.

i could really use getting rid of my 17's soon though. i hate to becuase of how good they look but man, the weight change would be nice and the car is dropped real low and my fender liners are still in so they rub from time to time

I doubt that your 17's are much heavier than stock steelies. If you are going to attempt weight reduction for functional purposes, you need to be committed to going all the way with it. No console, carpet, headliner, rear seats. Might as well get mirror block offs, throw out your radio, etc. I gutted my car because I happen to think it looks cool as hell. Also, people for get how quickly all that stuff adds up. Between my removing my A/C, having manual steering, and removal of the carpet, rear seats, all the plastic paneling, rear deck trim, rear trunk padding, and fake trunk floor, I probably dropped 200 lbs. This is a substantial amount for performance purposes, especially for a car with such a marginal powerband. Seriously, add an adult male to the car and it is noticably slower.

Weight reduction is a good idea but i personally like all the ammenities of my integra especially the 17s and the 2 12 inch subs in the trunk that why im making mine more powerfull. i was in my friends gutted hatch with the inch exhaust and that was the loudest car you would ever want to be in. There was so much resonation in the car it was rediculous.

I doubt that your 17's are much heavier than stock steelies. If you are going to attempt weight reduction for functional purposes, you need to be committed to going all the way with it. No console, carpet, headliner, rear seats. Might as well get mirror block offs, throw out your radio, etc. I gutted my car because I happen to think it looks cool as hell. Also, people for get how quickly all that stuff adds up. Between my removing my A/C, having manual steering, and removal of the carpet, rear seats, all the plastic paneling, rear deck trim, rear trunk padding, and fake trunk floor, I probably dropped 200 lbs. This is a substantial amount for performance purposes, especially for a car with such a marginal powerband. Seriously, add an adult male to the car and it is noticably slower.

Meh personally I wouldn't say you have to go all the way. Just get rid of the stuff that isn't important to you. That's a start.

Well weight does have a huge effect on small torqueless cars like ours. If i put 3 people in my car (me included) i do notice a huge change, i need to rev higher to get going and its just not the same. If you can remove atleast the weight of one human (130-200lbs) it should be somewhat noticable.

I mean have you ever seen how fast your car was without you in it?

Meh personally I wouldn't say you have to go all the way. Just get rid of the stuff that isn't important to you. That's a start.

For functional purposes, as in faster quarter mile times or better track times, you need to go all the way. For these activities there will be little benefit to just removing the things that aren't important to you.

Rip out the motor.. excess weight. Then have it shipped to Boston, MA. :D

ok so since i've been getting greif about my "half-assed" weight reduction, i looked into it even more.

i started with my wheels. supprisingly, BSA 315's in 17" are only 12lbs. i thought they were like 20 or so and i was gonna go to track light's.. so i researched and found out they are incredibly light weight. + for me.

i yanked out all the wires for my amp and sub, moved my battery location to the rear and changed out my battery to a Kinetics batter. stock batter weight i think was almost 30 lbs? the kinetics is 7 lbs.

when they swapped in my GSR i had them remove the a/c setup but they still left the lines. yanked those out as well as the ac resivour tank? the tank on the d/s that sits down next to the frame rail tucked in to a whole between the frame rail and the fenderliner.

everything behind the front 2 seats has been yanked out before. the only thing left back there is the 6x9's and now the small battery.

i left my dynamat because it really does help with the noise and it only weight 14 lbs so i can justify it. (if you dont like the idea of it, bash me if you want, i dont care. it makes a HUGE difference when you remove everything to quiet it down)

so now i just gotta make a run through the scales now to see what i weigh in at.

stock DX weight is about 2400 lbs

when i had everything at stock, stock dx motor, subs and amps in.. it weighed in at a HEAVY 3007 lbs w/driver (i weigh 205)

You still added weight by moving the battery to the back. Battery cable weighs morth than you think.

Back